To Log or not to Log!

Options
Hi there,

I've recently started logging my food on here again. I've enjoyed using the site before, and found it very useful keeping a diary of my food, but this time round I've noticed a few things:

1- I seem to be eating MORE when I log. If I see I have an extra 200 calories I use that as an excuse to have something else
2- I seem to be eating WORSE nutritionally. If I know I'm going to burn a few hundred at the gym, plus I have a deficit from my daily allowance I seem to use that as a good enough reason to have something naughty.

For me it seems that not keeping track of the calorific content of everything actually helps me make better choices. I'm deliberately not logging calories this week to see what happens (I'm just keeping a list of what I have). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• feistymoon
    Options
    If anyone wants to join me on this and see how we get on then feel free... the more the merrier.
  • I find I do WAY better when I don't log myself. However logging is almost addicting. Like all day I'll say "okay, I'm not going to log" and then around dinner I find myself mentally adding up calories. It's like I've counted calories for 12 years and it's hard to stop. (for the record in my 12 years of counting calories I've gained about 80 lbs).

For me it's my darn all or nothing thinking. It goes like this: eat healthy all day. Have a cracker. Puts me 10 calories over. CRAP - if I messed it all up. Might as well eat everything now and start over tomorrow when my diary can look perfect. Now logically I KNOW this is stupid. I mean just plain stupid. Of course that's the opposite of what I should do. But for 12 years it's what I've done. When I don't count I don't fall into that all or nothing trap.

My problem is I need to just stop counting and man, it's so ingrained in me at this point!!!! My only successful weight loss was when I didn't count at all.
  • krystinaarlene
    krystinaarlene Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow I thought I was the only one who felt this way! I had considered not logging because just like you when I see I have extra calories I want to use them, even though I'm not hungry. Then of course I always eat too many and end up over. I'll try this out with you!
  • I say log, I find it helps tracking my food.. and if I have extra calories at the end of the day I too find myself eating something else but as long as I don't go over what I'm allowed it's all good.. I think it's a good tool..
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was definitely the opposite from you, lol. Logging my calories made me start making better decisions because I like getting "more bang for my buck" from the food that I eat. As far as knowing you can have those "extra 200 calories" I don't know what your calorie goal is for the day, but mfp has allotted you those calories for a reason.

If you feel that what you are doing is working, awesome! In the end, you gotta do what is right for you. I think for a majority of people who are trying to lose weight for the first time, the food diary is good for them to gauge what they actually eat rather than what they THINK they eat. It can be an eye opener. I know I had to change my coffee habits immediately just from the creamer i was using alone!

Best of luck to you! Let us know how your experiment goes!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I think that logging keeps me accountable. I know that if I did not log, I would overeat every day and not see any success. I also see how I am making healthier food choices than I even did before. But sometimes logging is not for everyone. I do not log on days where I am sick or am too busy.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    dont focus on how may cal you have left, really focus on the deficit. you need it to be on point to actually lose weight. just cause you stay under, doesnt mean you wont gain, sad isnt it?? play it like a game and dont concentrate on the negative, focus on you and your habits. if you eat foods with more substance and cut out fast foods, you wont be as hungry either. it worked for me, i gave up my Wendys and Hardees which was hella tough but im loving the results now!!!
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I admit, I had the spare calorie dilemma last night and a pan of cupcakes calling me. I wasn't hungry, but I can have one cupcake and still have calories to spare. I allow myself one sweet treat a day, but if I wasn't hungry in the first place, I didn't need to eat it. That's where my will power will need to come in. I'm only three weeks in (longest I've ever lasted on anything). I need to practice my will power.
  • feistymoon
    Options
    It's nice to see so many opinions on this!

I agree that the logging tool is incredibly useful in many cases, but I think for me it makes me worry too much on the 'bottom line.' At present i'm pretty much maintaining my weight but when I start logging I notice it actually creeps up!!!! I think I know already what choices I need to make- sometimes though logging and visually seeing I have a deficit gives me justification to make poorer choices! Reverse psychology at it's best eh!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If I don't log I go over.