Does c25k really get easier? What kind of results have peopl

Options
So I started c25k tonight. I stuck out the whole time, which is a yay for me normally I give up when it gets hard. But gosh it's hard! I weigh over 100kg (not sure what that is in lbs) an haven't run since I was a kid.

Will it really get easier? How often should I do it?

Those who have done it, how often did you and (yes I want to get healthier and stronger etc but the bottom line is) has anyone lost significant weight doing this exercise regime?

(I am also doing 30ds every day)

Replies

• waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I did it Monday, Wednesday and Fridays.. and it worked well for me! I was able to stick with the program the whole time and it did get easier although there is a pretty big jump around week 5 or 6 I think. Anyway take your time with it and repeat a week if you need to. That's pretty intense to do 30 Day Shred at the same time.. maybe alternate days? I don't know..you don't want to hurt yourself or burn out.. listen to your body.. it will know what to do!

Oh and I didn't lose significant weight.. but I sure started toning up and I felt amazing!
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 5 (gotten to Week 8 in the past). I do it as prescribed, 3 days a week. The first time I did it on a treadmill, this time I'm doing it outside, which I actually think is alot harder for me.
    I'd say the running definitely gets easier, you can even see a difference in your endurance from day to day, however the program is meant to increase the difficulty so as you get better at running it continues to challenge you. The really great thing about it that I found though, is that I was never unable to do any of the programs, even when they sounded really daunting.
    I've never done the program on its own so I can't say for sure whether I would lose weight that way, but I think it makes a fantastic compliment to a general training program.
    Hope that helps! And feel free to shoot me any questions.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi

I weigh just over 200lb's and i am on run 3 of week 1

I am amazed at how much easier it was last night - after my first day i thought i was going to die - but last night was good - i plan to keep repeating week 1 (or 2) until i feel comfortable with it

But it has got easier for me - prehaps you could find a firend to do it wit - have you got a good app to help out also?

Diane (add me as a firend if you want support and encouragement)
  • Nigelmouse
    Nigelmouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started over 100kg and did the C25k on a treadmill. I did it three times a week, and slowed down if I struggled. If I struggled a lot I sometimes repeated a week, so it took me more than the 9 weeks in the plan. Some weeks were a lot harder than others, but you've got to stick with it for it to work.

Once I'd completed it I kept doing 5k 3-4 times a week on a treadmill but slowly attempting to increase my speed.

I now run 5k multiple times a week and really enjoy it, and I'm starting to work towards running 10k.

I believe combining c25k with eating healthy has been key to me losing 25kg's (55lbs, or 4 stone)
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did the program last year. My routine was to do c25k on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Hardwork and dedication got me through the program and I'm now still jogging 5k every other day. It really does help to get the weight off. At least for me. Perhaps, doing both c25k and 30ds is too much all at once??
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am struggling, I will admit. I'm working to my own pace, trying a slow jog and building up distance - when I am comfortable running a reasonable distance, then I will start doing interval training to build up my speed
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    First you may need to slow down. The number one reason new runners fail is because they try to go too fast/too far.
    Second, have you had a proper shoe fitting with gait analysis?
    Third, yes. It will get easier. Don't feel you need to complete each step the first time. There were days I repeated here and there but the biggest hurdle will be mental. You'll eventually hit that "I need to stop" wall but if you can convince yourself to push through for a couple more seconds/minutes you'll see it was all in your head.

Once you can conquer that you'll see that soon you'll be running for 30+ minutes straight and you can set new goals to conquer the 10k!

ETA: I started C25K last March/April? without being a runner prior and since then I've completed multiple 5k's, 1/2 marathons, sprint triathlons, and capped off 2011 with a Half Ironman. I've also lost over 50 lbs and have been able to keep it off.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Do what you can, it will pay off. Yes it works did it last year at this time and ran 2 5k last year last one with a sub 30 minute time. I have also lost 47lbs (21 kg). The key is to push yourself and keep going, good luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yes it will get easier, give yourself time though. Repeat weeks if necessary. I am on week 9 and can run 3 miles, it's a great feeling!!

Edited to add....It amazes me I've come this far, back in the beginning I couldn't even run the 60 seconds!!!!
  • eccentricity
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am thinking of doing 30ds and c25k on alternate days, I don't think I'm fit enough to do both every day.

I am running outside until I get my treadmill (this Saturday!) so maybe I'll find it easier then. I use an app on my iPhone that beeps and has a voice when it's time to change.

You are all inspiring :)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I began c25k at 180 pounds.. the heaviest and most out of shape I'd been in my life.. I did the program 3 days a week like it said, but after the 30 minutes or so of the program, I walked another 30 to finish out about 4 miles total. By the end of the program, I was running the whole 4 miles.. and had dropped at least 20 pounds. I kept running.. that was the best thing c25k did for me.. I wanted to run, I wanted to accomplish more. I ended up training for a half marathon to raise money for our support group, and lost another 20 pounds. It's been about a year since I finished c25k and I'm still running, training for a Warrior Dash now.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's a nine-step programme, and you can stay on any step as many weeks as you like till you are happy with your progress. I recall the early stages entail mostly walking. Go easy and don't be discouraged. I went from the 5k to doing 10, 15, 20 even at times. You'll be amazed how great it feels when you finally get there, and with the right attitude you will!

Good luck,

David
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It does get easier if you are consistent. I did Tues, Thurs, Sunday. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if the workout is particularly difficult or undoable. It took me about 12 weeks to get through it and I worked up to being able to run 8 miles without stopping. So yes, it does work.

Enjoy!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    First you may need to slow down. The number one reason new runners fail is because they try to go too fast/too far.
    Second, have you had a proper shoe fitting with gait analysis?
    Third, yes. It will get easier. Don't feel you need to complete each step the first time. There were days I repeated here and there but the biggest hurdle will be mental. You'll eventually hit that "I need to stop" wall but if you can convince yourself to push through for a couple more seconds/minutes you'll see it was all in your head.

Once you can conquer that you'll see that soon you'll be running for 30+ minutes straight and you can set new goals to conquer the 10k!

ETA: I started C25K last March/April? without being a runner prior and since then I've completed multiple 5k's, 1/2 marathons, sprint triathlons, and capped off 2011 with a Half Ironman. I've also lost over 50 lbs and have been able to keep it off.

I'm quoting and re-posting this because it's really important.

I also started with c25k last year without being a runner. In the same year I ran my first 5k, 10k, half marathon and finished the year running The New York Marathon.

Of course, Panda and I are beasts, so there you go. I'm just saying this program WORKS.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    it really does get easier!! if you need to go slower or repeat a week, dont worry. its better to build up continous time spent running at first, then work on speed later when you can easliy do the distance.
    mayor_mcpanda is right, most importantly get yourself fitted for some proper running shoes, and a lot of the 'i want to stop' is in your head, once you can override that it feels amazing, you will be surpised at what you can actually do! when you get to the point you want to stop, try and keep going for at least another minute - if you always do a little more than last time you will always feel like you have made progress and want to continue with the program. get some motivating songs on your mp3 that helps me when i want to stop!
    i started it 2 months ago, thought i was going to die after 30 seconds at first, i didnt do the 'official' C25K program, i just added a bit longer each time and i did 5k last week :)
    try not to run 2 days in a row, and have 1 or 2 rest days a week. its easy to injure yourself overtraining if you are new to running. treadmill can seem very boring compared to outside - im on treadmill at minute and i cant wait till its warmer and i can go outside, i dont do running when its cold and wet lol!
    btw im 219lbs, and run @ 7.5kmh Weds and Sat. ive lost 25lbs in 3 months - my last run of 5k i burned 570 cals in 40 minutes, its definetly the highest burn of all the exercise i do.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    ok you sound exactly as i did when i first started C25K back in July.

If you get chance read my blog, on when i completed week 5 and the work up to it. here --->  http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ooOOooGravy/view/story-so-far-and-how-i-did-on-my-first-20-minute-run-143564#comments

When i Started i weighed 121kg (266lbs/19Stone), since Completing C25K i have lost 23KGs and still losing, Built up my running pace, and now training for my first Half Marathon in March.

C25K gets you running, run at a comfortable speed, repeat weeks if you need to, and run 3 times a week making sure that there is at least 1 day of non running between each session. Apply for a 5K race in your area, near the time the end of your 9 weeks as a goal to aim for. Seriously is the best thing you will ever do, i know it is for me! :)

Oh and get some running shoes fitted when you can afford it, this is the only essential equipment, and a watch or timer of some sort to help time your run walks.

Really, read my blog you might find abit of inspiration to help you on.

Running is hard, but the sense of achievment it provides is second to non! And finally enjoy it! its amazing! :)

Best of luck
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I just did day 1 of week 2 last night and didn't find it too bad at all. I am finding that my legs are hurting now though (I do it every other day) so I'm a bit concerned I might be getting shin splints. I'm actually quite enjoying the challenge though as long as I remember to take it slow - I'm not actually running much faster than I'm walking.

I think it feels easier already but a lot of that is psychological as I've managed to get to the second week and have a bit more self belief. Not sure how I'll find it when it really steps up though.

I was thinking it might be best to alternate days with something like swimming rather that 30DS but I'm no expert!

Would love to hear more about how others have found/are finding it
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I just did day 1 of week 2 last night and didn't find it too bad at all. I am finding that my legs are hurting now though (I do it every other day) so I'm a bit concerned I might be getting shin splints. I'm actually quite enjoying the challenge though as long as I remember to take it slow - I'm not actually running much faster than I'm walking.

I think it feels easier already but a lot of that is psychological as I've managed to get to the second week and have a bit more self belief. Not sure how I'll find it when it really steps up though.

I was thinking it might be best to alternate days with something like swimming rather that 30DS but I'm no expert!

if your shins are feeling sore, make sure to stretch well and rest, it will only get worse if you carry on.
    have you been fitted for proper running shoes? shin splints are usually caused by wearing the wrong shoes or overtraining.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Sit yourself in a chair and point your toes out in front of you and spell the alphabet with them. Its an easy stretch that will help to alleviate the pain. Also ice is your friend.

Also Em is right, shin splints are generally an overuse injury. If you've already been fitted for shoes then you may need to cut back on the running a bit and let your body catch up.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 of week 2 last night as well and it was okay although I did feel challenged towards the end. I do the C25k training and then do 30 mins strength training afterwards 3 times per week and try to do a class and/or go for a swim on other days as well - this is time dependent though as I am a working mother and my hubbie works shifts. I am going to try to stick to the program as best as possible but not going to stress if it takes a bit longer. I've signed up for a 5k at beginning of May so I have a target to get to!