• jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    Google Fat to Fit Radio Tools.
    Do the military body fat calculator
    then the BMR tool.

You will be happy and surprised!

Do it now btw.....

I did this and it showed I needed around 2730 for my activity MFP has me set at that with a calorie loss of 1000 so do i need to add the 1000 to it? and if I excerise which is 800 to 1000 do i eat those back too?
    I have been in plateau for a while even gain some weight back seems nothing is working??

Its quite possible as i have to eat 3000 calories. Also if you are looking to keep your muscle you dont want that large of a deficit. You really want to stay around 20% or 500 calories. Also it sound like you included your activity in the calculation so you would not eat back exercise calories.

So do I set my calories to 3000 and not eat back my exercise calories? or set my calories to 3000 and make the deficit 500 and not eat back exercise calories?
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    then the BMR tool.

Do it now btw.....

Thanks for explaining what those are. I will go try to figure mine out :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    then the BMR tool.

Do it now btw.....

I did this and it showed I needed around 2730 for my activity MFP has me set at that with a calorie loss of 1000 so do i need to add the 1000 to it? and if I excerise which is 800 to 1000 do i eat those back too?
    I have been in plateau for a while even gain some weight back seems nothing is working??

Its quite possible as i have to eat 3000 calories. Also if you are looking to keep your muscle you dont want that large of a deficit. You really want to stay around 20% or 500 calories. Also it sound like you included your activity in the calculation so you would not eat back exercise calories.

So do I set my calories to 3000 and not eat back my exercise calories? or set my calories to 3000 and make the deficit 500 and not eat back exercise calories?

It depends. If you include activity in your tdee calculation then you dont eat back your calories. If you dont include it kn the tdee calc then you would. For example, i have a sedentary job but put myself at very active since i do p90x2. So i dont eat back my calories.
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    then the BMR tool.

Do it now btw.....

It depends. If you include activity in your tdee calculation then you dont eat back your calories. If you dont include it kn the tdee calc then you would. For example, i have a sedentary job but put myself at very active since i do p90x2. So i dont eat back my calories.

Ok I got it I think that's the problem I have been having thanks a bunch.
  • jwenick
    jwenick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Know what's funny about this..? Without even knowing this advice, I had plateaued for 2 weeks and just plain got fed up. I kindof "gave up" for about 10 days...didn't eat horrible...but also didn't excersize and stopped logging my food for that time. When I decided to start over and got on the scale....I had magically lost 3 lbs!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The first plateau I reached lasted for months - I upped my calories, took more time off from the gym to let my body heal and BOOM! Lost 17lbs in 5 weeks.

Unfortunately, what works for me or someone else may not work for you. So, the key is to figure out what your body wants you to do.

You can try zig zagging your calories, changing up your workouts, taking a few days off from the gym, etc.

I've been at or below my goal weight since Sept 2010. :)
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Interesting info from Jillian Michaels
    What advice do women always ask you for?
    They get caught on plateaus. In that case what you need to do is give yourself a couple of days of rest and bump up your calories by 10 percent. When you lose weight quickly, your body often responds by releasing hormones to increase your appetite and store more fat. That's a survival instinct meant to help us conserve fuel during times of famine. You can outsmart it by eating a little more and resting. That usually helps jump-start your metabolism again.
    :smile: Hope this helps ive been stuck at the same weight for weeks!!!!! Good Luck!

love this, thank you fo sharing!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    interesting...
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    then the BMR tool.

Do it now btw.....

I was so NOT happy by this. Surprised...yes. It says my BF % is 20 but my scale says it's 16.5%. Arrrggg!
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    then the BMR tool.

Do it now btw.....

I was so NOT happy by this. Surprised...yes. It says my BF % is 20 but my scale says it's 16.5%. Arrrggg!

neither are really accurate ways to measure. Body fat calipers are a much better measure to understand body fat. Both those sites have me rated around 18% body fat, even when I was measured at 12. The difference in your metabolic rate would be about 50 calories for the two different body fat %.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    then the BMR tool.

Do it now btw.....

neither are really accurate ways to measure. Body fat calipers are a much better measure to understand body fat. Both those sites have me rated around 18% body fat, even when I was measured at 12. The difference in your metabolic rate would be about 50 calories for the two different body fat %.

Unless you have calipers or even a water tank its hard to get perfect measurements.
    The military BF calc tends to give a few numbers.
    I tend to pick the one in between!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are bad, I had one for a month.

I found that having a "cheat" day helped me.

Also take your measurements! True loss can be seen in measurements more than the scale can show.

Keep up the great work and you will get through.

Totally agree 3 week standstill but had to add holes to my belt! then BOOM! 6.9 loss! yeah son! keep that hot *kitten* working!
  • JJhoney
    JJhoney Posts: 29
    Options
    Interesting info from Jillian Michaels
    What advice do women always ask you for?
    They get caught on plateaus. In that case what you need to do is give yourself a couple of days of rest and bump up your calories by 10 percent. When you lose weight quickly, your body often responds by releasing hormones to increase your appetite and store more fat. That's a survival instinct meant to help us conserve fuel during times of famine. You can outsmart it by eating a little more and resting. That usually helps jump-start your metabolism again.
    :smile: Hope this helps ive been stuck at the same weight for weeks!!!!! Good Luck!
    I really agree with this! I ended up falling off the wagon for a week in both exercise and eating habits, then got back into it and BOOM, weight loss. Adios plateau!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    BUMP
  • lgladybug
    lgladybug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I have lost almost 50 pounds since July. I've had moments with zero weight loss for a few weeks and I'd change things up as each one of you have alluded to. One thing that I tend to do is zig-zag my calories which prevents my body from getting use to the normal routine. On some days I'll eat 1200 on others 1500 some days 1300 etc. When I noticed my first plateau...that lasted around three weeks i had an emotional eating moment and consumed around 2100 calories unintentionally of course... the next day I got back on track and contnued as i normally would until my next weigh day. To my suprise I lost 4 pounds. I did some research and found that allowing yourself occasional overages can be helpful. Occasional means occasional with control and consciencious choices.
  • Jlwebb07
    Jlwebb07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Luvlynamazing
    Options
    How often should you update your TDEE and BMI??? I adjusted it after I lost five pounds cause it changed slightly. I keep all my percents and calculations on a notecard to keep track. It is more fun for me to do than simply just step on a scale.