Workout routine? Changing it up...

Options
Hi all! I'm changing up my workout routine just for a change of pace. I really want to incorporate running everyday because I enjoy it. Here is what I'm thinking, please give me your honest opinion. Too much? Too little?

Mon: bridge to 10k
Ripped in 30

Tues: easy 2-3 mile run
Strength training
Ripped in 30

Wed: same as Monday

Thursday: same as Tuesday

Friday: same as Monday

Saturday: same as Tuesday

Sunday: rest/ yoga

Replies

• lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Anyone?
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    looks intense- ripped in 30 involves a lot of strength training also, and you should rest your muscle groups the day after you work them (or at least every 2 days) so I wouldn't do ripped every day coupled with strength training every other. Maybe ripped one day, then strength train arms the next, then ripped, then strength train legs, then repeat so you are getting some rest in for muscles to rebuild :)

Good luck though!
  • lml1042
    Options
    looks intense- ripped in 30 involves a lot of strength training also, and you should rest your muscle groups the day after you work them (or at least every 2 days) so I wouldn't do ripped every day coupled with strength training every other. Maybe ripped one day, then strength train arms the next, then ripped, then strength train legs, then repeat so you are getting some rest in for muscles to rebuild :)

Good luck though!

Thank you! I agree with you on the strength training, I don't use machines for strength training, just free weights at home, not sure if that makes a difference. I'll split it up though, I think it might help my energy level.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I think I understand where you are at. I am a runner at heart too. I would rather run everyday than do strength training and what not. But I understand the importance of strength and don't discount that either. So, its a bit of a conundrum trying to fit it all in without over taxing your body. I used to run 6 days per week. I scaled it back to 4-5, and have actually seen better gains in my stamina and pace. This is most likely due to the fact that I can push myself harder on run days and mix up the type of run training because I am not running every day back to back.

This is my winter routine cuz its cold out. A lot of running is on the treadmill except for my long run, which I bundle up and head outside.

M - Run HIIT for 5k - (walk / sprint intervals).
    T - Rest from Running
    W - Run hills or incline for 3-4 miles
    R - Rest from Running
    F- Run HIIT for 5k - (walk / sprint intervals).
    S - LSR Run (long slow run 9-11 miles)
    Su - Rest from Running

If I run a 5th day its a tempo run 4-6 miles. Usually on a random T or TH.

Strength training I do M-W-F. This is arms, chest, shoulders, back

T-TH I do abdomen and circuit training work (either dvd like Ripped in 30 or a medicine ball routine I made up). Sometimes I will also use elliptical 15-20 minutes.

Sunday is my only dedicated rest day from exercise. And this day follows my long slow run on Saturday.

So yes, its possible to fit it all in and work out really hard. But listen to your body and don't over do it and cause injury or burnout. Best of Luck!
  • lml1042
    Options
    Thank you! I like your schedule, keeps it from getting boring. I'll give it a try! I'm still a new runner (complete c25k at the beginning of January and can now run about 4.2 miles.