I'm Out of Style -- HELP

Options
Does anyone have advice on books or websites that would provide advice on style for casual wear. I am in my late 50(s) and want to look good, but not like I am trying to refind my youth.

I have lost a third of my body weight from my heaviest point. I still have a year or two to go before I am at maintenance. Necessity has caused me to focus first on creating a professional, flattering work wardrobe, but I am struggling when it comes to more casual wear. I was told by a dear family member in the most flattering of ways that I belonged on a show,"What not to Wear" when it comes to my everyday clothes. I've never seen the show but she told me the jist of it. I looked at some pictures of me and I think she's right.

I live near lots of thrift stores and consignment shops so I think I could find a moderate budget to get started.

I'm excited to have this problem. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mea9
    Options
    I was interested in this too because it's been years, YEARS, since I even thought about it. My body is changing and the styles have certainly changed so just going backward in my clost isn't going to cut it. I googled and this was the first one found:
    http://www.howtolookgood.com/latest-fashion-trends/
    I would also love to know if anybody has a site that is tried and true???
  • KDWS
    KDWS Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Barnes and Nobel near you or really any book store...go there and look for style books...I was just there a couple of weeks ago and there were several great books regarding style one in particular but of cource I can not remember the name of it..BUT I am sure if you look in the self improvement section or ask someone they can help you. The book that I found had pictures galore and was really helpful. I just sat there for an hour or two and checked out the different books I did not buy any of them but I got a definite sence of style.
    Oprah magazine a couple of months ago did a piece on what to have in your wardrobe you might want to check out her site....
    THe first thing to get rid of is your mom jeans!!! Kohls has really sharp trouser jeans...get a kohls card if you don't have one it will entitle you to discounts throughout the year and you can rework your wardrobe for CHEAP!!!
  • mea9
    Options
    Do you have a Barnes and Nobel near you or really any book store...go there and look for style books...I was just there a couple of weeks ago and there were several great books regarding style one in particular but of cource I can not remember the name of it..BUT I am sure if you look in the self improvement section or ask someone they can help you. The book that I found had pictures galore and was really helpful. I just sat there for an hour or two and checked out the different books I did not buy any of them but I got a definite sence of style.
    Oprah magazine a couple of months ago did a piece on what to have in your wardrobe you might want to check out her site....
    THe first thing to get rid of is your mom jeans!!! Kohls has really sharp trouser jeans...get a kohls card if you don't have one it will entitle you to discounts throughout the year and you can rework your wardrobe for CHEAP!!!

I was wondering about books....The magazines seem good if you already kind of know what you're doing:blushing:

We don't have a Kohls yet in Canada (yet) but I had a quick look online and they do ship! Great prices and printable coupons!!! Thank You!!!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This is why I absolutely love having two adult daughters (18 & 21). I always take them shopping with me and really take their advice. They aren't afraid to express their opinion and are quick to advise me which patterns are "too old lady". They also are quick to remind me I'm not 16 if I try on anything in a buggle gum color or if the style is just too young for a "mom" to pull off. If you have any young ladies in your life maybe see if they will help you pick out some more fashionable casual wear. Just remember that you need to feel good in anything you buy!
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll check out all the references and connect with my young people for some serious shopping. This could be a little fun.
  • 1953Judith
    Options
    I checked that website, it was really helpful.

Any other ideas.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    as problems go, this is a great one to have! been there too. I can highly recommend watching any episodes of What Not To Wear, new or old. There's another called How Do I Look but WNTW is the one I used to overhaul my style--I called it "remedial girls school" since I was terribly "butch" all the time and needed a more professional look. (At home I can still be my old slobby self of course) I learned an amazing amount of info just from watching--actually started watching in order to ridicule the show's concept, but then (gulp) I started seeing clothes I had in my own closet on the "Before" ladies--Yikes!

Maybe she would send your name in to be on the show? That would be awesome!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Try Ann Taylor

Anntaylor.com

They have trendy age appropriate clothes.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sometimes you just need another person to take a good look at what you've got and what you look like to give you the best advice. You can read books, but after awhile, it is hard to be objective.

If you have a nice department store near you, ask if they offer a personal shopping service. I know Nordstrom's does. It's like a salesperson stays with you and picks things out for you to try on. They can give you advice, right down to alterations about what looks good. Of course, that can be expensive.

Also, try to get back to basics. Neutral colors work well on any person at any age. Pick some neutral colors and play with color in your accessories. Make sure you have a full length mirror when you try on clothes and do the 360 spin to see if you can get a glimpse of your backside.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Look for the "What not to Wear" books, both by the original British gals and the US counterparts. I like the original British gals best.
  • CCLadyBug
    Options
    I thought about What Not To Wear as well. Here's a website about the show that has links to tips. Best wishes!
    http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/what-not-to-wear
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    Dressing age appropriately is good for yourself and the general community. (ie I probably would never be wearing the cut offs and belly shirts that I wore when I was 16). I find that to look good regardless of age, wear something flattering for your body type. Go to the shop with a woman who's style you admire and ask her to help you to pick out a few foundational pieces. Like a outfit for a lunch date with friends, one for work, casual weekend, etc. Myself, I prefer classic pieces that don't have an expiration date. For example I love timeless pieces by chanel (minus the prices of course) and I look for that as inspiration as I shop.

Talbots has some nice things
    http://www.talbots.com/online/home_page.jsp
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think if you work out your body type, then remember that the most flattering for a woman is her version of the hourglass, work around your gifts and hide your imperfections with belts, good cuts and darting.
    You will find good items in all budget levels, it's the way you put them together.
    A big smile is the best accessory!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far!

I second the "take someone shopping with you" idea - someone who's style you admire and who can be honest with you. Family members are good, my 18 year old daughter is my shopping pal.

WNTW is a good source - remember their underlying message is that no 2 women look alike, so there's no one outfit or style which will suit everyone - it is going to be a bit of trying different things and judging whether they work or not.

And happy shopping!
  • StargirlHeuser
    StargirlHeuser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    youlookfab.com has forums with women of all ages, shapes, and sizes looking to improve their style. I highly recommend that website.
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    I second the suggestion to check out youlookfab.com!
    youlookfab.com has forums with women of all ages, shapes, and sizes looking to improve their style. I highly recommend that website.
  • 1953Judith
    Options
    Okay, I have been going to the various sites, reading and looking. I'm on my last two days of vacation, so I went shopping.

To kick off the new me, I got measured and bought a new bra (full price even). It is so cool. It fits perfectly. I am somewhat senstitive about my post-cancer breast so this was big for me. Then I went to another store and bought two belts, based on my new found knowledge that I should accentuate my waist.

I came home and went through 1/4 of my closet (before I got too tired) and have pulled out five oversize blouses and a sweater. I realized that I have been adapting my pant sizes but keeping my old tops.

This is a new beginning. I am pumped!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request, I dress casual for my work and I am over 50 :flowerforyou: