Just curious and confused....

Options
Android app barcode scanner, an amazing time saver and I adore it! :heart:

However....
I've found a lot of items that are conflicting over the last 8 months of using it, but usually by no more than 20 calories or a gram of fat or so. The nutrition info on the bag or box gives you one set of numbers, but when you scan the barcode, it gives you different nutrition info.

Today I scanned in a bag for Great Value dried black beans and it showed up being 70 calories higher than bag stated for the exact same serving size, 1/4 cup dry, but not all of the nutrition info showed a different number.
100 vs 170 calories is a huge difference.
I noticed that China Doll brand dried beans are listed here as 50 calories for the same 1/4 cup dry, I have not scanned their barcode to see if it gives a different calorie count.

Just gets a bit frustrating when you are meticulous and slightly ocd about things!

Anyone else having a hard time trying to figure out who or what to believe?
Just how many more calories are we eating that we don't know about. :sad:

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is an option at the bottom that asks if this is correct. You can change it I believe. I also believe all of this info is user entered.

I know that I had the same bag of oatmeal, which was entered on here correctly, when I bought the same brand, same cut (you know quick or whatever), the serving size had changed. Everything else was the same but it was now 1/3 of a cup had xx calories when it used to be 1/2 had same amount. I don't know how often that happens. Next trip to grocery store, I checked out all the bags. That brand was the same for all the cuts of oatmeal. Another brand as lower.

I would believe the label I am looking at.
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm always going in and changing the info when I see it is wrong, been doing that since 2009, actually, so that is not a problem.

But I'm annoyed with contradicting info from the companies when using the barcode scanner on the my fitness pal android app.
    When you scan the barcode, it brings up all of the nutrition info of the item, which does not always match what is stated on the bag itself.

And when I was comparing the different brands, to prove a different point it was all the same serving size and weight for the exact same item.