Planet Fitness

Options
Anyone ever joined Planet Fitness? How do you like it? Or not like it?

Replies

• DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's my gym. I love it there.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I joined because it was cheap and they don't require a contract. It was nice when I went. Moved so can't go anymore. Everyone there was pretty friendly. Nice, new machines. :) Go for it!
  • ferb55
    ferb55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS GYM!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you're the type of person that needs group fitness or variety, then I don't suggest it. I was a member of a gym similar to this - 24/7 place and it did not keep me motivated because I need group fitness. Going & running on treadmill or elliptical all the time just didn't do it for me - I need to mix it up. So I opted for the bigger gym (LA Fitness) so I have the best of both. Unfortunately you have to be tough with them - I called on phone first then when I got there I was firm & honest about how much I could afford to pay each month and they worked with me. I've been happier ever since & more consistent about going to the gym for the past 5 months.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I love it . I think it is a great starter gym because the trainers there will teach you how to use the machines and even help you make fitness goals. I came here about a month ago because I was intimidated by the big gyms. I feel like I will want to join group classes soon at a studio or something, but still work out at PF most of the time.
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like it - lots of equipment to use, and their 30 minute workout is nice if you're short on time.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    Planet Fitness was my first gym I ever joined. I loved it. It was cheap and provided almost everything I needed. The only downside is that I do love my group fitness classes at my current gym and PF doesn't provide those. Also, this may vary by each location, but most of the staff at the PF I joined didn't know a whole lot about fitness/training.
  • BobbyMorgan
    Options
    I was at PF the first time i started losing weight, around 30lbs.

I actually hated it. It was always overcrowded when i was able to go. I also was doing supersets, sometimes 3 in a row and would get frustrated when i had to stop and wait for some guy to finish talking to his buddy while he sat on the machine....I also liked to do some clean and jerks and deadlifting and i was getting in trouble for that as well...Thats when i left.
  • 4rick
    4rick Posts: 23
    Options
    I belong and really enjoy it, I especially like the 30 minute circuit training. It keeps your heart rate elevated in addition to a full body strenght training workout. And like others have posted, it is inexpensive to belong, with no contract.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i have been going for over a year, when it is busy it is BUSY. I get the job done while I am there, someday i will upgrade to a nice, bigger place with classes but $20 is hard to beat.
  • ogottwald
    ogottwald Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I pick things up and put them down.
    I go to a private club but if its really busy go early in the morning to miss the crowds.
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness!

A new one opened in Nov. not far from where I work.

I'm not very good at dieting, so exercise is critical for me.

I go there primarily for the strength training. I do my cardio outdoors whenever possible or use my wii or exercise DVDs.

In just two months, I have noticed a great increase in my strength and overall fitness. I'm toning up and feeling great!

The people who work there are great, the place is big and busy. I just love all the energy.

I got the $20 membership, but don't use any of those "extras" except the massage chair, when I have a few extra minutes, which isn't often.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im not sure where you are located but in Canada Planet Fitness franchise locations (a few years ago and which were not in canada for long) were facing many counts of fraud for overchargnig and refusing to let people cancel. Hopefully in the US and elsewhere they are better.

Whichever gym you go with make sure you read the entire contract and even though the deal seems good i'd recommend starting with a month or 3 trial to see if you really like it.

I signed up with a nice new beautiful gym only to discover they never fixed anything when it broke, the change rooms were never cleaned, the classes got cancelled all the time, and they would randomly close early on fridays and saturdays if few people were there.

Now i have a gym i love and am happy to go to :)

The trick is to find one you feel comfortable at and that offers the services you want.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever joined Planet Fitness? How do you like it? Or not like it?

I belong to the one in Plaistow, NH. I like it, it's inexpensive, their hours are great, their equipment is clean and mostly new. The only criticism I have is that they provide free pizza on the first Monday of every month. REALLY?? I'm coming here to be healthy and all I smell is [expletive] pizza? So I avoid going that day. LOL. I like that I am a Black Card member and can go to any Planet Fitness anywhere.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i never been there but heard they dont like weight lifters there -- no grunting allowed i guess lol..so i cant join because i grunt when i lift weights lol what the heck.................
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I joined a few months ago when I started getting serious about losing some weight. I was looking for something with the basics that I could afford, and that's exactly waht it is. $10/month (varies by location/special), no contract, and it has all the basic equipment. It's gotten a lot more crowded since I joined (shortly after it opened), but I'm guessing it won't be so bad after the "New Year's Resolutioners" give up. In general, the people are nice and I feel comfortable there.

2 downsides: no group classes, and the "personal" training could be better. (But I haven't really pushed for much training yet.)
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The only criticism I have is that they provide free pizza on the first Monday of every month. REALLY?? I'm coming here to be healthy and all I smell is [expletive] pizza? So I avoid going that day. LOL.
    LOL...I know what you mean! The first time I was there when they brought pizza in, I was like "WTF are you doing?! This is a gym!" I was so hungry for junk food by the time I left.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the pizza...man, it smells so good when I work out that I almost feel like I have to do a quick workout so I wasn't tempted to grab a slice on my way out..lol
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to PF for 2 1/2 years. It's good for what I want which is cardio and strength training machines. They also have free weights and they don't care if grunt while you lift (not sure where that came from), but they don't want people dropping weights. Everything has been in good working condition in the time that I've worked out there, if something is broken, it's fixed very quickly. I love that they provide paper towels and sanitizer to encourage people to clean the machines when they are done.

For $10/month, I am very happy with it.
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was at Planet Fitness for over a year...I loved it and agree with another commentor, it is a great starter gym. Plus, I loved the "Curves" like circuit room. We just switched to another gym because I wanted group classes and because we want to do aquatic classes too. If they had a pool and/or group classes, would have stayed with them. That is how they keep the cost of membership down I am sure.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!