Should we go to Mexico?

Options
Lauralovesmfp
Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
My boyfriend's sister is booking us tickets to Mexico on SellOff Vacations.Com in the next week or two to a five star hotel near the Mayan Riviera. But the news is full of Canadians being killed (3) and 2 severely beaten. One at a 5 star hotel (which is what we are booking.) Do you think it is safe to travel to Mexico right now? Opinions?

Replies

• SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I live 10 minutes from the mexican border... I do not go to mexico. BUT,the border is different more violence, cartels trying to get their stuff across into the US ... I still wouldnt go though... but that's just me.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My husband is from Mexico and won't go right now.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think Cancun is VERY different from up near the US border.

I am going to Riviera Maya in June for my honeymoon!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would not go. It is too unstable. :noway:
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    There's been border activity for years... I have been to Mexico (the Mayan Riviera area not by the border) many times when things were bad by the border and we were all fine. Just be careful. Ignore the timeshare sharks at the airport too.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have a timeshare in Puerto Vallarta and go every year. You're best to stay at the nicer hotels, stick to the touristy places, and not take advantage of the "opportunities" that might present themselves (i.e., drugs, women, etc.). Stay generally sober when you're away from the resort.

Most of the violence has been focused on the border. In recent years, it has moved to the central cities and at times may encroach on the tourist areas. There is a general balance between what the drug cartels and government are doing, but when one pushes the other, all hell can break loose. It is rare for that to happen around the tourist areas. More people are killed in our major cities than are killed by the drug cartels in Mexico.
  • You only live once, you could meet you fate walking across the street.. I say go.. But I go to Mexico anyways.. lol
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Cancun/Cozumel area is still safe IMO.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I stayed in Mexico for 5 months in 2010 (Queretaro and Mexico City) and had no problems. I was careful and had to pay a lot more attention, but I was fine. There are safer parts of Mexico, the border states are getting hit the hardest.

That being said, someone was found decapitated about a mile from the hotel I stayed at in Santa Fe...
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking if you stay on the resort you should be fine, If you are going off on your own or booking excursions from people that you meet on the street you might be more at risk.

But then again I LOVE traveling and have been to a few dangerous places during a few dangerous times and I don't usually worry about it... If figure if its my time, then its my time... but I know not everyone is as "que sera sera" about travel as I am :) Do whatever you feel comfortable with, if you feel ok about it, then go and have a good time, if you have a bad gut feeling about it, then don't.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go because I don't like places where you can't leave the resort and do your own thing safely
  • daniellek10
    daniellek10 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I say go! I went to Cancun last spring and ppl said the same thing! AS long as you are careful! I would love to go back to Mexico this year, just need to plan it!!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hm, very mixed messages. Lots of people who go and many who wouldn't. Guess I have my work cut out on making a decision! Thanks everyone.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    In the UK our Goverment gives out travel adviserys. I've just checked & it advises to avoid all but essential travel to Mexico.
  • KarrissaWarren
    Options
    Hello, I am a travel agent and I do believe that it is safe to go to Mexico ... Cancun or the MR that is!! There is risk no matter where you travel!! For instance, the chances of being murdered in Halifax, Canada are actually double then in Mexico, its a fact!! Media likes to blow things out of proportion when it comes to foreign countries (in my own opinion!) Note that most of the killings happen to people that are in involved in some way or another in the drug trade. If you travel to Mexico you would use caution to stay away from these areas that are affected! And just a note, when booking online with selloffs make sure to read the fine print! ;) And make sure you receive all of the proper documentation prior to leaving;) Hope you have a great trip. Karrissa Warren, The National Travel Associates.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Go. It's fine, especially if you go to Riviera Maya. I was there recently (4 months ago) and it's quite peaceful. Like with any other place you visit, even your own city, exercise the same precautions you would at home.

By the way, I left the resort. My husband and I took the local transportation into town and we went to the market. Everything was fine.

Now if you want to go to Michoacan, where the cartel is heavily populating the areas, well, that is another thing but touristic places are ok.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I went very recently to cozumel. It was safe, fun, and nothing eventful happened. Just don't do something stupid and you will be fine.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    My boyfriend's sister is booking us tickets to Mexico on SellOff Vacations.Com in the next week or two to a five star hotel near the Mayan Riviera. But the news is full of Canadians being killed (3) and 2 severely beaten. One at a 5 star hotel (which is what we are booking.) Do you think it is safe to travel to Mexico right now? Opinions?

Cruise it up.

Dont worry about Italy....try the Bahama's
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I went very recently to cozumel. It was safe, fun, and nothing eventful happened. Just don't do something stupid and you will be fine.

Oooh god I love Cozumel. Totally beautiful, very safe, and great people.

Also, side note, Belize horrible and very scary. Avoid!
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    easy , just go and dont wonder alone in the dark alley and stay away from street people,if you go to Playa Del Carmen like everyone is doing be careful some of the stores are plainly rip off.

i was in Riviera Maya in 2008 at the Grand Sunset Princess loved it.