Tenants License bylaw bill WTH?

Options
Falcon
Falcon Posts: 853 Member
I'm feeling infuriated at the moment. I received an initial letter from my land lord telling us about this new proposal the government is considering, OMG are you kidding me?

First part of the proposal will allow them to raise tax on 12,500 selected individuals who rent out apartments.

Second bit is even more disturbing.

It would give special powers over property standard management officers to enter someones apartment without their consent, randomly checking up on tenants :noway: wow, I'm floored and shocked. I already written up a huge speech for Tuesday's meeting and I plan on collecting signatures hoping to make a strong statement opposing this by-law.

This affects anyone from London Ontario. If you rent, theres a meeting at 5 on Tuesday at Centennial Hall.

If anyone has written up letters before, can you help me out a bit? Greatly appreciated

Replies

• Falcon
    Options
    I'm feeling infuriated at the moment. I received an initial letter from my land lord telling us about this new proposal the government is considering, OMG are you kidding me?

First part of the proposal will allow them to raise tax on 12,500 selected individuals who rent out apartments.

Second bit is even more disturbing.

It would give special powers over property standard management officers to enter someones apartment without their consent, randomly checking up on tenants :noway: wow, I'm floored and shocked. I already written up a huge speech for Tuesday's meeting and I plan on collecting signatures hoping to make a strong statement opposing this by-law.

This affects anyone from London Ontario. If you rent, theres a meeting at 5 on Tuesday at Centennial Hall.

If anyone has written up letters before, can you help me out a bit? Greatly appreciated
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was immediately going to mention our right against illegal search and seizure...
    Then, I saw London Ontario.

I don't know anything about your laws, now I'm all curious I will have to look up some info. on that subject.
  • Falcon
    Options
    As far as I know landlords do not have permission to enter someones apartment without consent or unless they feel theres no other choice left in the matter. But to do so randomly without a reason is completely irrational.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    In the U.S. landlords can enter without consent. They are supposed to give "warning", but all they have to do is say, "There was a reason to think the water was left on, or there are unauthorized animals etc." No real reason needed to enter property you own.

But are you talking about the building's owners? Or "enforcement" officers?
  • Falcon
    Options
    In Ontario they have to give 24 hours notice, its a private space and they're talking about with no warning at all. No consent, just random inspections. No warning no reason, no consent. a complete total invasion on privacy in my opinion
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    yeah , got ya. I hate that about renting. Even though they are supposed to give 24 hours written warning, there is no way to stop a landlord from lying. He / she can always "say" they gave notice, but there is just no way to prove "Notice" was given, and no way to stop a landlord from entering if he / she says it was to protect the property or safety of others.
    Whenever anyone has a key to a place, there is really no way to keep them out or to know if and when they have been in. :frown:
  • Falcon
    Options
    our landlord is encouraging our building to speaking up against this by-law. Thats what I plan on doing.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    In Ontario they have to give 24 hours notice, its a private space and they're talking about with no warning at all. No consent, just random inspections. No warning no reason, no consent. a complete total invasion on privacy in my opinion

I doubt they would ever pass this, not if the people in charge want to STAY in charge. BUT even if they did pass it, what's the big deal? My landlords used to do inspections all the time. Yes, they gave notice but we never did anything special when we got notices. If you're not doing anything illegal it really doesn't matter. I'm sure you'd have to be there for the inspection and then they are required to knock first (cause you know, you could be naked) and also it would be up to the landlord how to proceed and your landlord sounds decent so they'd probably continue giving you notice anyway right?
  • Falcon
    Options
    He knows about the animals in my apartment, thats the problem, theres no animals allowed but theres dogs and cats in there anyways. Every landlord we've had has always pretended to not notice. As long as the person is responsible they don't care. But its just the thought of possibly losing my animals that's got me upset. The closest family I have at the moment is half an hour away from me, the rest of the family is two hours or more. I live by myself and am lonely most of the time. I just don't want to give up my animals.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    He knows about the animals in my apartment, thats the problem, theres no animals allowed but theres dogs and cats in there anyways. Every landlord we've had has always pretended to not notice. As long as the person is responsible they don't care. But its just the thought of possibly losing my animals that's got me upset. The closest family I have at the moment is half an hour away from me, the rest of the family is two hours or more. I live by myself and am lonely most of the time. I just don't want to give up my animals.

but you just said he already knows about them, so why would he make you get rid of them. ANd if he disagrees with the bylaw (and it sounds like he does because he's encouraging you all to speak out about it) he's not going to start doing random checks anyway unless there is some cause for suspiscion (like illegal activites going on) which is probably the whole reason for the bylaw anyway... you know?
  • Falcon
    Options
    I'm lucky to have a decent landlord, but there are a lot of slum land lords in my area. And some may not be so lucky, thats also why I feel the need to speak out against it. There has to be some line drawn between landlord and tenant. I can see some landlords taking advantage of it.