1200 calories?

Options
So, just a question. I have lost 5 pds.. I am 5'2 135 pounds.. I started at 140. My caloric intake a day is 1200. So, after 10 pounds they are supposed to ask if you want to recalculate your goals ect. But isn't 1200 the lowest you can go calorie wise any way on this app?? Or will I get a lower caloric intake?? Thanks :)

Replies

• kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    When you get closer to your goal weight, the weight comes off more slowly. MFP may actually advise you to up your calorie intake slightly to prepare you for maintenance-level calories. You'll lose the weight more slowly, but you'll be better prepared for the maintenance phase.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The calories will never go below 1200. It will go up only if you change your goals.
  • sarahdatace
    Options
    So how will I continue to lose weight if I don't cut down my calories?
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Standard maintenance is 1500-2000 calories depending on activity level, age, height, etc. What are you trying to achieve? If you're close to your ideal weight, loss would be much slower and that would be natural and healthy...
  • sarahdatace
    Options
    Well, I am at 135 now... and my goal is 125.. but if I keep eating 1200 calories a day and don't drop at all, I can't see how I will lose weight. I started at 140.
  • MISSMILL3405
    MISSMILL3405 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Exercise. By keeping your metabolism up and going you will burn off part of the 1200 calories you are eating. Not sure if that makes sense but that is the best way I can explain it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's not healthy to net under 1200 calories unless you're being supervised by a doctor or nutritionist. If you really want to be healthy, follow what MFP recommends for you. Your weight loss should slow down because you don't have the fat reserves you used to have. If you force your body to burn more calories than it should it will burn muscle, and that's counterproductive to your weight loss goals. Just remember it's not a race. Slower is ok.
  • sarahdatace
    Options
    Great advice.. Thank you. I always keep trying to remember that. It is just hard sometime when you want to see your body in life the way that you imagine you want it to be. :) And want it to happen now..lol