Calculating Bites and Tastes

Options
Recording everything has been great for me, and is certainly helping to curtail my snacking!

But, I'm not sure how to count things like: 6 of my husband's french fries, and a bite or two of my son's

frozen yogurt, etc... does anybody have a solution to this? I'd almost like to have a category that we could

manually adjust the approximate calories for; like what Weight Watchers calls BLTs (bites, licks and

tastes). then even though we might be a bit off, we could at least add 100 cal, or whatever, to our day.

Replies

• rhondababy
    Options
    Recording everything has been great for me, and is certainly helping to curtail my snacking!

But, I'm not sure how to count things like: 6 of my husband's french fries, and a bite or two of my son's

frozen yogurt, etc... does anybody have a solution to this? I'd almost like to have a category that we could

manually adjust the approximate calories for; like what Weight Watchers calls BLTs (bites, licks and

tastes). then even though we might be a bit off, we could at least add 100 cal, or whatever, to our day.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Honestly...stuff like that, I don't count. I'll have a spoon of my husbands icecream and not count it, or a few fries. I don't do this a lot, but when I do, I don't worry about it. I'm losing weight and becoming more healthy and stuff like that is fine (in my mind). It's not like I'm tasting one thing after another until I've had a whole serving. So, I don't worry about it. Some people have a cheat day...I don't. And even if I did, I still probably wouldn't count those little things. I don't want to become THAT obsessed with my calorie counting. I'm already addicted enough as it is. But it is a personal decision I suppose. So, sorry I have no idea how you want to count that. You could make your own food called a BLT if you want and then determine how much you want to add. Sorry I don't have any better advice.

*Kistinbee*
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    For me...if its more than 3 fries...then I try and classify it as how many cups did I eat?? 1/4 of a up? Less than 1/4 of a cup?? 1/8 of a cup...etc. And I add to my total what 1/8 of a cup of fries is.
  • cmccord
    Options
    If you're worried about those calories adding up, here's a little trick I've come up with. Find whatever food choice you're looking for, and then play around with the "servings" function. For example, there may be the option to select "three french fries"...or another way I play this out is to click the "one serving" from the pull down menu and then enter ".1" or ".05" into the box next to it. It just helps me keep track of everything going into my body, rather than ODing on calorie counting. Hope this helps!
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Actually that helped me, thanks!
    As a good friend said to me yesterday, " I don't think it's the occasional low-fat latte (instead of non-fat) that is causing your problem!"
    I think I tend to focus on the less important minutia when I should be more big picture focused.

Thanks for your healthy perspective.

Rhonda
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    Hello,
    I agree with Kistinbee. As long as it's not adding up to a serving, your not making a habit out of it and your still losing weight, then I would not worry about it. (that's what I do) Otherwise make a BLT and estimate. Good luck
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    If you're worried about those calories adding up, here's a little trick I've come up with. Find whatever food choice you're looking for, and then play around with the "servings" function. For example, there may be the option to select "three french fries"...or another way I play this out is to click the "one serving" from the pull down menu and then enter ".1" or ".05" into the box next to it. It just helps me keep track of everything going into my body, rather than ODing on calorie counting. Hope this helps!

This is how I do it when I do it. Usually I don't count it unless I am really close to going over for the day!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    It really depends on how many bites in a day. Those bites can really add up if you are doing it often.

Three fries are about 35 cals, if you took 12, 35 calorie bites throughout the day that were not recorded it would equal the 400 cals you should be cutting in the day in calories to create a weight loss defecit.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I really admire that you can only have a "taste" of something. If I even put it in my mouth, I have to eat all of it. :grumble: I mean really, I don't understand how someone can have a bite of a chocolate bar and wrap it up for another bite tomorrow - it is totally beyond me :huh:
    I just try and stay away as much as possible but do give into temptation every once and a while but then feel sick and disappointed afterward :sick:
    But good for you guys!

Charlene
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    No...no...I can't have one bite of something that is mine. I have one bite of my husbands something. That's the only way it works for me. I refuse to allow myself to taste something that I can eat a whole of. Does that make sense??:bigsmile:

*Kistinbee*
  • rhondababy
    Options
    No...no...I can't have one bite of something that is mine. I have one bite of my husbands something. That's the only way it works for me. I refuse to allow myself to taste something that I can eat a whole of. Does that make sense??:bigsmile:

*Kistinbee*

Me too! I cannot have a treat item in the house. It's impossible for me to leave it alone. The only way I can have tastes of things is if we're out- even then I am super focused on the food, and have trouble relaxing if there is something on the table that is a trigger for me.
    This site is so great. It really helps to have the support of others who have the same battle with food.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Now I am craving fries :tongue:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I try to save 50 or so calories a day. I know I will miss something, I don't take bites or tastes, but I can miss something in something. if that makes any sense. I don't know how much salad dressing I used if I dip the tines of my fork into the portion 10 times, I don't know if I used exactly one tbsp of ketchup or If I should count the butter (yes, butter) that didn't stick to my green beans as an entire pat or just half. If something is breaded for whatever reason, and I don't get it all off, you get the idea. I just save a few calories for misses. I am an all or nothing eater as well. and even though I keep both a written and online journal, I know I will miss something. online I use the partial serving idea.