I remembered my question!!!!

Options
please could someone tell me what happens to your body when....

I go to bed hungry say for example (don't make a habit of it btw)

and yet when I wake up..... I don't feel hungry any more, in fact I'm back to normal.

Why is this??

Now I have been on MFP since April 2011 and you gotta admit that is a question that doesn't get asked right??? I did good yeah???

Still want to know the answer though. thanks in advance!

Replies

• dutchjacky
    dutchjacky Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Would love to know too as that happens to me too. Also if I go to bed full then I wake up starving.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    yeah!!! That's true, sometimes if I go for a nap on a full stomach I wake up soooooo hungry after.

C'mon all you good people out there, please help us!!!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's the same for me. If I eat within a couple hours of going to bed - even just an apple - I'm starving in the morning. If I don't eat anything at night, I basically need to make myself eat breakfast because I'm not hungry at all.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    When we're sleeping our bodies can go into ketosis, which is basically a state of breaking down fat for energy. Being in ketosis suppresses your appetite, thus allowing you to wake up without being hungry. If you've eaten close to bedtime, you're less likely to go into ketosis and end up hungry in the morning.
  • lunaluna671
    Options
    Your body goes through what is known as "hunger cravings," in which the body is low in sugar and starches but once this little phase is overcomed than the whole feeling goes away. Therefore, whenever you go to sleep feeling like your staving and wake up feeling normal and not hungry at all is because that phase has passed. Its better to not give in and eat so that your body can begin to eat off itself. (fats)
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Would love to know too as that happens to me too. Also if I go to bed full then I wake up starving.

Yes!! Me too!!! Good to know!! More reason why I need to stop eating before bed :)
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You did good! I've been wondering this myself because for the last two months when I don't eat before bed, I have this slightly hungry feeling and I wake up absolutely fine.

I like the idea of ketosis - my body eating itself. EAT FASTER BODY! *Cracks the whip* That's it! EAT! EAT! Like I used to eat cake!
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens when you're awake, if you don't eat when you're hungry. Eventually the feeling passes and you feel normal again. You just don't notice going through it when you're sleeping.
    As to why it happens, I'm not really sure, but I used to have this happen all the time when I was younger--I'd not eat breakfast, be hungry up until third period, and then by the time I got to lunch I wasn't hungry any more.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I like the idea of ketosis - my body eating itself. EAT FASTER BODY! *Cracks the whip* That's it! EAT! EAT! Like I used to eat cake!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So funny
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Have you ever waited too long to eat and then your stomach starts to hurt? If I skip a meal due to being too busy I find that my stomach tightens up and I am less hungry when the next meal time rolls around. Maybe that is what happens when you go to bed without eating?
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    You did good! I've been wondering this myself because for the last two months when I don't eat before bed, I have this slightly hungry feeling and I wake up absolutely fine.

that is pretty funny :laugh: