Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running when it's Hot and Sunny out.... tips?

2»

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Hottest run was at 110 here in AZ. Last summer, the average temp for my run was approx 105. So here's my advice (similar to many others here):

- Hydrate early and hydrate often. You should be peeing 'clear' before you step out the door for your run.
    - Make sure your potassium, calcium, and sodium levels are sufficient before you run. A multi-vitamin and sound diet take care of this.
    - Hat, glasses, white long-sleeved shirt, neck gaitor, and sunblock are a must! Cover your ears if you can.
    - Choose a route that puts in you in the shade as much as possible. I run a route around a mountain, so I choose to save the shady side for the back end of the run.
    - If you are running out-and-back, choose to run into the wind on your way back. This will aid in cooling.
    - Carry sufficient water during your run, choose a route that takes you near water sources, stash water bottles along your route, or loop back to your house or car. Many people carry Camelbak packs, which can hold 40-100oz of water.
    - Carry your cell phone in case you need help.
    -Carry a bandana
    - If you feel dizzy, sit in the shade, and place a soaked bandana around your neck. This will cool the blood running through your carotid arteries. Stay there until you feel better.
    - If you can, stay off of sidewalks and asphalt. They hold so much more heat than dirt trails.
    - Run near lakes, streams, or canals. The water cools the surrounding air more so than not.
    - Worth repeating --- hydrate early and often. If you feel thirsty during your run, you are dehydrated. Don't mess with your life. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: Obviously avoiding the heat is the best option (run at sunrise), but my answer assumes you can't do that.

You are awesome. This should be stickied somewhere in a running forum or something.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Hottest run was at 110 here in AZ. Last summer, the average temp for my run was approx 105. So here's my advice (similar to many others here):

- Hydrate early and hydrate often. You should be peeing 'clear' before you step out the door for your run.
    - Make sure your potassium, calcium, and sodium levels are sufficient before you run. A multi-vitamin and sound diet take care of this.
    - Hat, glasses, white long-sleeved shirt, neck gaitor, and sunblock are a must! Cover your ears if you can.
    - Choose a route that puts in you in the shade as much as possible. I run a route around a mountain, so I choose to save the shady side for the back end of the run.
    - If you are running out-and-back, choose to run into the wind on your way back. This will aid in cooling.
    - Carry sufficient water during your run, choose a route that takes you near water sources, stash water bottles along your route, or loop back to your house or car. Many people carry Camelbak packs, which can hold 40-100oz of water.
    - Carry your cell phone in case you need help.
    -Carry a bandana
    - If you feel dizzy, sit in the shade, and place a soaked bandana around your neck. This will cool the blood running through your carotid arteries. Stay there until you feel better.
    - If you can, stay off of sidewalks and asphalt. They hold so much more heat than dirt trails.
    - Run near lakes, streams, or canals. The water cools the surrounding air more so than not.
    - Worth repeating --- hydrate early and often. If you feel thirsty during your run, you are dehydrated. Don't mess with your life. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: Obviously avoiding the heat is the best option (run at sunrise), but my answer assumes you can't do that.

You are awesome. This should be stickied somewhere in a running forum or something.

AGREE.... these are great tips!