Low Cholesterol recipies?

Options
Anyone know any good cheap and easy recipies for low chol meals? doctors orders to lower it!!

Replies

• Crissyd1382
    Crissyd1382 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have to get my cholesterol down too. lol. i have cut out all cholesterol and fat where i can in my diet. i use ground turkey instead of ground beef and no one in my house can tell the difference (unless its burgers on the grill). Watch your nutrition labels, and go low fat low cholesterol when you can. it has helped me tremendously. you really don't need special recipes, just substitute a few lower fat and cholesterol foods when and where you can. hope this helps! :wink:
  • petrat76
    Options
    over here mostly eat fresh foods so they dont come with labels lol! thanks for the turkey for beef idea :)
  • lilichong
    Options
    Hi, i'd suggest cream of brocolli soup, its easy to make, and delicious too. Just boil brocolli, and once its cooked, throw half of the water, and leave the half in, put in 3 or 4 tablespoons of sourcream, dash of pepper and one vegetable bouillon. Voila!

2ndly, you can cook sliced leek, brocolli, and mushroom together. You'll have to cook the leek longer than the rest, as it takes slightly longer for that to cook. Just put in some oyster sauce or a bouillon, and you have your simple, but healthy meal..

For food with high protein but low calories, you can go for hard boiled eggs, or chickpeas.

I just had some chickpea with cooked couscous today, its so filling!

Another good healthy food is baked fish, it never goes wrong with some low fat cream and herbs.

Hope u enjoy them!
  • musicgomy
    Options
    I suggest you to see these products for lowering cholesterol (I've got it from my cousin).
    http://cholesterol-lower.info .
    I heard the products from here are very good for combat cholesterol problems.
    I hope this helps.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, I'd like to suggest asking your doctor for specific instructions, everyone's cholesterol levels and family history are different so it sort of depends on what your specific needs might be I'd also suggest getting a referral for a nutritionist who can give you advice about how to eat right.

Here's what I know...
    I've got heart disease on both sides of the family and have borderline high cholesterol so I've done my homework. You don't necessarily have to avoid all fats and cholesterol, just make smarter choices. Most of your healthy oils actually can help increase your good cholesterol levels so at least your ratios are in good shape, even if your totals are high. We do need fats in our diets to help absorb vitamins and are vital to many of the body's functions. Just make sure you stick to the healthy ones like extra virgin olive oil or canola oil and be careful of foods with high saturated fats, trans fats or hydrogenated oils (regular peanut butter and margarine are bad, organic/natural peanut butter is good). Read your labels!

Things to eat: oatmeal, 100% whole wheat bread, fruits and vegetables, lean meats (note: if you use ground chicken or turkey, make sure it's lean, some contain dark meat which is still bad for you), low fat or skim dairy.

Be careful of any over the counter medicines or herbal remedies - not sure about there but here in the States, they're not all regulated and may interfere with any prescriptions you're taking. Check with your doc before taking anything.

Best of luck!