Has anyone tried Prescription Weight Loss???

Options
Hello,
My name is Ashley and I have been a member of MFP for about 2 years. I've been able to lose about 30 lbs over the course of that time and am still looking to lose another 20 or so. I need some advice for a friend of mine who is having trouble getting the weight off. She is about 150 lbs overweight and has tried just about everything and has yet to see any results. She was telling me about this place called Prescription Weight Loss Clinic where they put you on a low calorie diet, give you diethylpropion injections along with medical monitoring of your progress. It seems to be right up her alley. I'm looking for people who have actually tried or know someone that has tried prescription weight loss for some feedback. How much weight did you lose? What was the process like?

I appreciate your help! :)

Here is the place that she is looking to do this, has anyone ever been here?

http://www.rxslimclinic.net/

Replies

• phatgirl30
    Options
    Phentermine! I used it in 2006 to lose 25lbs for my wedding and it did the job.
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    My cousin used Phentermine and well she lost 40lbs in 2 months... her sister is abusing it and has lost almost 90 lbs on it (she was only 180 if that) and now her BMI is in under healthy. I would try something natural before RX
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    If ouare really big, its a good boost and the effects short term are better than carrying large amounts of weight long term.

People that need to lose less than 50, should just do what they need to do.

It has its uses, but is heavily abused i ehar.
  • wave143j
    wave143j Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used Phentermine also a while back. I lost 35 pounds but it all came back when I stopped taking it. I never changed my eating habits though. The meds just made me jittery and I had no appetite. So when I stopped taking it, I was lazy and all my hunger came back. That's just my experience though. I'm sure many have had success.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it, but the idea of them injecting her with a diet drug is a lil skeery! If it were me I would be concerned about the possibilty of having a bad reaction to it. Unlike a pill, she won't be able to just stop taking it if she has uncomfortable (or worse) side effects. Sounds a bit dangerous to me.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Phentermine side effects

Signs of an allergic reaction to phentermine: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Other side Effects:

Feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
    Chest pain, feeling like you might pass out;
    Swelling in your ankles or feet;
    Pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    Confusion or irritability, unusual thoughts or behavior;
    Feelings of extreme happiness or sadness; or
    Dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).

Less serious phentermine side effects may include:
    Feeling restless or hyperactive;
    Headache, dizziness, tremors;
    Sleep problems (insomnia);
    Dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
    Diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach; or
    Increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.

Worth it? I would say not.

In addition, its only works for SHORT TERM weight loss. People that stop taking it haven't changed the underlying problem of how they eat and when they eat, and ultimately (Statistically) gain the weight back.

QUIT LOOKING FOR A MIRACLE PILL! IT DOESN'T EXIST!

Do it the right way.
  • detter11
    Options
    I have been on phentermine and it has done great things for me. It helps by decreasing appetite but you must continue to follow a low calorie diet and exercise. I am on a 1000-1200 calorie diet, snack with healthy snacks during the day, and work out at least 3 times a week. I definitely try to do more during the week. In 7 weeks I lost 6 pounds. So losing a pound a week is healthy according to my dr. Hope this helps!
  • pbear15
    pbear15 Posts: 22
    Options
    I used it. It made me feel like my heart was racing all the time. It did nothing for me as far as decreasing my appetite or help me lose weight. I used it for about 2 weeks then stopped for fear that is was doing damage to my body.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sounds (and looks) scary. Has she really "tried" everything? Or just pretending to try? Or just doesn't have the will power/patience to keep up a long term healthy eating plan?

I think in the first instance it would be less expensive to go see a nutritionist once a month to help with her needs and teach her healthy eating.

Secondly, has she been checked out by a doctor regarding thyroid problems which may be preventing the weigh loss? 150 lbs is a ton of weight to lose. Good luck to her whatever she decides but I honestly dont think quick fixes are the way forward.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The potential risks to your heart and cardiovascular system are not worth it IMHO especially since it's very possible to lose 150lbs without those risks with a little hard work and discipline.
  • AshleyNPeters
    AshleyNPeters Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to print this out and show it to her! You guys rock!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to print this out and show it to her! You guys rock!

Also be sure to point out that MFP is free (way cheaper than injecting drugs for weight loss). Good luck.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm betting she hasn't tried as hard as she says she has. If she has, she should be going to the doctor to get a full checkup instead of a weight loss clinic. If she hasn't been able to lose weight the normal and healthy way along with whatever other things she has tried she probably has something medically wrong.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm betting she hasn't tried as hard as she says she has. If she has, she should be going to the doctor to get a full checkup instead of a weight loss clinic. If she hasn't been able to lose weight the normal and healthy way along with whatever other things she has tried she probably has something medically wrong.

this
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    that junk is expensive compared to just a regular work out and diet plan.

i tried it once and was like, lammmmmeeee: i'm all hyper and weird AND broke. not acceptable.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would go natural first.

These are some natural products for weight loss that I like: CLA (conjugated linoleic acids), L-Carnitine and PG X Daily.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies so Idk if this has been said but she can absolutely lose it on a site like this.. I too have about 150lbs to lose and have lost 41 so far. It can be done..
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't think that this drug is good. I have heard of horrible side effects, including needing heart and lung transplants.
    I would try to do it naturally first.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    IMO I would suggest she STEER CLEAR of this. These are just quick fixes and when you stop doing them they stop working. The only thing that truly works is CHANGING YOUR LIFESTYLE. That means what you eat and adding in exercise. Even those brave folks who choose WLS have to make these changes. It's NOT EASY, but in the long run the weight will stay off.

Edit: I'd also like to say that I do go to see a WL Dr. and my husband I are consistently losing weight week after week by using our own food, exercise and NO DRUGS. We by far are surpassing all of their clients who us special meal replacements and drugs.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I LOVED Phentermine as a way to jump start my weight loss when my body was in a place where no matter what I did it would not let go of any weight. The 46 lbs I've lost are actually from diet and exercise and your friend may be one of those people who needs accountability to someone. Bottom line, if she doesn't learn to eat right and exercise, any diet aids are a short term fix...but they can start her off right.

And to the guy who thinks she hasn't been trying...Before my 3 month course of phentermine and metformin to wake my body up, I was swimming 4 days a week, and 45 minutes at a time, and not losing a lb. Some people, especially women, need a kick start. Our dang hormones can mess up even the most honest attempts. Case in point - in a month where I eat healthy every day, and exercise 6 days a week, I will lose 2-3 lbs for 2 of the weeks and 0.3-0.8 lbs a week for each of the other weeks. Doing exactly the same thing.