Too Much Workout???

Options
I'm doing the 30 day shred and 3 times a week Zumba classes. Is it too much if I also do half an hour of Pilates?

Replies

• Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is such thing as too much exercise, as long as you are eating enough of the foods that your body needs to give you fuel and balance it out :)
  • w3lchi
    w3lchi Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't think there is such thing as too much exercise, as long as you are eating enough of the foods that your body needs to give you fuel and balance it out :)
    I think so too, but my hubby told me that I was going to crash with all those esxcercises. :s
  • abigailm83
    Options
    I've been told by my trainer that if your doing more than two hours a day that your basicly undoing what you did the first two hours. I use to work out 2-3 hours a day because I thought more was better but I now know otherwise.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    No, as long as you're fueling your body properly and rest when you feel it necessary you can do it all! I workout about 2 hours a day - cardio, weights, circuit training, yoga - almost every day and I eat most of my exercise calories and rest about once a week and I feel great and am losing weight and shrinking at a great pace!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not too much as long as you are fueling your body properly (Netting 1200 or more calories, which is eating at least 1200 and eating back what you burn)
  • Charlieh16
    Options
    I've been told by my trainer that if your doing more than two hours a day that your basicly undoing what you did the first two hours. I use to work out 2-3 hours a day because I thought more was better but I now know otherwise.

Hey abigail. What did your trainer mean that you are undoing the work you have done?
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    There's really no way to UN-DO exercise.

I think the only fear is that you might burn out - or you aren't getting the most effective exercise during that third hour because your body is beat. I say listen to your body - if you're feeling fatigued, rein it back in. It's not like pilates is hard on your joints or anything If you're going to add anything to your workout regime, I'd say yoga or pilates would be a good addition.

I think for an average, healthy, able-bodied person, 1 or even 2 hours per day of exercise every day is excellent.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    It isn't like Pilates is cardio. I generally work out 1.5 hours in the morning, combination of cardio and strength, .5 hour walk after work, and then another .5 hour or so in the evening. I'm well rested in between, I eat enough calories, no problem. In fact, adding workouts later in the day helps to prevent sore muscles from early morning exercises.

The only day that I generally would do more than 2 hours at a time is on my long run day, when I may do up to 3.5 hours. Again, I'll do shorter workouts later in the day to prevent sore muscles.

Pam
  • Charlieh16
    Options
    There's really no way to UN-DO exercise.

I think the only fear is that you might burn out - or you aren't getting the most effective exercise during that third hour because your body is beat. I say listen to your body - if you're feeling fatigued, rein it back in. It's not like pilates is hard on your joints or anything If you're going to add anything to your workout regime, I'd say yoga or pilates would be a good addition.

I think for an average, healthy, able-bodied person, 1 or even 2 hours per day of exercise every day is excellent.

I toatally agree with this! Ican't understand that it could be possible to 'un-do' exercise that you have already done?
    As you said, you know your own body so just don't push yourself to an uncomfortable level. :happy:
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 day shred and 3 times a week Zumba classes. Is it too much if I also do half an hour of Pilates?

For ME

I can work out 6 days a week 1hr at a time, for weeks on end, BUT i will come to a point, what im giving is poor.

So i will go through a resting period and lower what im doing, then knock it up again.

What your doing doesnt sound like to much at all.
  • abigailm83
    Options
    I think what he meant was that by building muscle it allows your body to burn more calories even at a rest and that if you exercise to long and you have burn all your "fuel" your body then goes to using your muscles to power your work out. Less muscle=less calories your body burns. I guess I should of worded it differently. I am NOT a professional just passing on what I've been told by a professional. I also know that everyone has different views on what works the best, just giving my point of view.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options

Well there is, it's called "over training", but fear not, nobody here is at risk of this. But as Charlie says, just make sure you are eating enough to fuel your exercise.
  • w3lchi
    w3lchi Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! (: