13»

Replies

• Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • williamkuntz
    Options
    Seems like no-one has touched on the idea that to get toned not only requires cardio to burn fat but weight training, and not heavy lifting that's for building muscle. LOW weight and HIGH REP at all strength training is the KEY to getting that toned look.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Seems like no-one has touched on the idea that to get toned not only requires cardio to burn fat but weight training, and not heavy lifting that's for building muscle. LOW weight and HIGH REP at all strength training is the KEY to getting that toned look.

Nope. The "low weight, high rep" thing is a big myth. Heavy lifting won't build muscle if you are on a calorie deficit but it will do the most to increase strength and preserve muscle mass as you lose.
  • agibson0430
    agibson0430 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mattkellett
    Options
    my routine for myself is

Monday: chest and biceps, cardio at night
    Tuesday: back and triceps, cardio at night
    Wednesday: legs and shoulders, cardio at night
    Thursday: chest and biceps, cardio at night
    Friday: back and triceps, cardio at night
    Saturday: walking cardio whenever throughout the day
    Sunday: walking cardio , if I feel like it.

I have very specific goals, my clients will, have different workout in align with goals and what phase they are in.
  • mattkellett
    Options
    your right, when women come to me to train and sy " I want to get toned" I smile and say you are sugar coating the fact you need to lose the fat around the muscle you already have. of course I am nice about it : )
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Weigthts always first. Strength for weights and cardio for conditioning once blood sugar levels will have dropped due to glycogen depletion thro lifting of weights.

As for how to get 'toned' it doesn't exist - you either build muscle or lose fat. I'd recommend lifting heavy compound movements which involve the whole areas of body (squat/deadlift/bench) and having less isolation movements which isolate a small part.

You should do between 3 and 6 sets and 8-12 reps and for the average gym goer, 3-4 exercises per body part.

You won't get bulky like some women fear since you need enough calories to put on mass.

this
  • feysheart
    Options
    Bump