From wheelchair to running...65lbs lost and 47lbs to go...(P

Options
joyzy
joyzy Posts: 97 Member
In June 2011 I sustained a spinal cord injury, due to a severely herniated disc, that left me temporarily paralyzed fro the waist down. I spent the month of June living in the hospital learning to walk again as I very slowly regained sensation in my legs and feet. The doctor said I had a few risk factors that contributed to this injury, namely genetics (a few other close relatives have had the disc issues too,) as well as being significantly overweight.

I was discharged from the hospital at the end of June, still using a walker, and did physical therapy in my home for another 2 months.

This is the day before I left the hospital:

262lbs
20110624_002.jpg

20110624_001.jpg

In August 2011, after 2 months of basically sitting sedentary in my house, I was released from PT, with instructions from the surgeon to "lose weight" to prevent this kind of injury from occurring again. Still using the cane, I started walking outside. The first day I walked around my block. 0.25 miles and it took me 25 minutes. I joined MFP that next day and started tracking calories. I started walking every single day. Each day I'd go a little farther and walk a little faster.

In September 2011 I joined the local YMCA and took to the treadmill, bike, and elliptical machine. I go every single day. For about an hour or more each day.

This is me in September, about 255lbs, size 24 dress
20110903.jpg

As of today, here are my stats

165 days since I started exercising.
I've traveled 858 miles. (walk, run, bike, elliptical)
187 hours of exercise.
65 lbs lost. (I'm 197 now)
47 left to go. (Goal is 150. I'm 5'8")

Here's a picture from today!
197lbs, size 16 jeans
20120124.jpg

Replies

• Tianzi
    Tianzi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great! Congrats on your successes!
  • mikituba
    Options
    YOu look amazing!!! Keep up the good work! It's great to see you doing so well!!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Wowzers! Amazing :)
  • mcarden86
    mcarden86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great story! You look fabulous.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely fantastic! Congratulations! You're about my size now (5'8" and 187). :) You lookin' good!
  • smulokwa
    smulokwa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OMW! Go you! Double kudos for the positive attitude and making it happen. YIPEE!
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    AMAZING STORY! Keep up the GREAT work!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    SO awesome!! You should be very proud!!
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Wow, you look great! Very inspiring.
  • llee1024
    Options
    Amazing - congratulations and keep up the hard work!
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! You look fantastic.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! :drinker:
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You look amazing !!! Your hard work has really paid off ! Congratulations :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are an inspiration! Way to go!
  • mamatoboys6219
    mamatoboys6219 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That is one of the most inspiring stories ive read. That is so awesome! I dont think many people will choose to do what you did to get out of a situation like that, you took a bad situation and made it a good one! Congrats to you and keep it up, you look great!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Wow! Impressive! You look great. Your hard work really paid off. Thanks for sharing!
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    A huge Congrats on the success!! Your lookin FAB!
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Awesome success story! You look great!! TFS!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    AWESOME you are doing great guirl keep it up!! what an awesome story and motivation!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!