Running with Shin Splints?

Options
I have these blighters back again! I don't know whether its my new trainers that I had fitted to me or just that I am now running 5 times a week. Anyway, I have finally succumbed to the shin splint (my right shin, inside) and am taking pain killers and walking how far I would usually run the same amount of times. This isn't affecting my shin splint at all. Can I just run this splint off? I am missing my running as I haven't been able to do it since saturday, although it hurts to start I can run the pain off mostly. AM I doing myself more damage? The last time I saw the doctor he told me to carry on but calm it down a bit.

Thanks in advance as usual

Katie

Replies

• Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    listen to your doctor. if you go full speed with out letting your shins recover you could cause more damage
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yeh I know what you mean but on looking it up it does say you can out run the splints? I will take a few days break and test I supose, I just hate not running :-(
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor and take it slow until you heal.

I used to play a ton of soccer and would get these all the time. Why? Because I wouldn't let it heal! So, as soon as I was "healed" (in my mind) I would get back to it and re-injure. It ended up that I missed more time on the field in games and practices then I would have if I had just let it heal the first time.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    need stop cardio 8 weeks & to rest, according my research anyways.

Ive had issues with both my legs for 10mins, number trips to doctors, no answers.

I came across shin splints sounds like my problem, however mine now at stage it doesnt stop after cardio session, comes & goes as it pleases, so now looking at stress fractures, hoping new docs will help rule it out for good.