Arc Trainer?

Options
Has anyone ever tried the ARC trainer at their gym? Just wondering the pros/cons, im fairly new to the gym and stick to the machines that I am comfortable with. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Arc trainer. I get the MOST calorie burn doing this machine. It has different programs you can select from. I usually do the weight loss one, and currently I am on level 2. Then for the end of my workout I do the hills one for 8 minute and burn nearly 100 calories in TEN minutes. I recommend trying it. It does take some getting used to but I MUCH prefer it over the elliptical and you burn WAY more calories too!!!! I usually do 30 minutes on weightloss level 2 and I burn about 360 calories, then I hope on other machines and then end my workout with the Hill setting. Let me know how you like it!
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    Nice Thanks! I noticed it when i was there last, it looked like a hell of a workout! I will have to give it a try!!
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    Sounds good! And you know what is really funny? When I go go the gym usually most of the treadmills and ellipiticals are taken and the ARC is always just one or two people on them--Its intense, but worth it! you can change the incline and resistance as much or as little as you would like.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as nytdreamer...LOVE the Arctrainer..it burns loads of calories and is very low impact on the body. Great machine!
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love the Arc Trainer! It's like a combination of cardio and strength training for the legs/buns. I've definitely noticed the burn in my thighs and glutes. My ankle/heel has been bothering me lately though, so I haven't been using it much.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I always wondered what those machines were! They usually empty! I also workout at the Y and have my favorite elliptical that I usually head straight to but I've got a bruised knee (slipped on the ice!) so would the arc trainer be a good thing to try tonight? I did the elliptical yesterday and it felt fine but I found I didn't have as much "push" to get my heart rate up.

For those that have used it, what do you think?
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    I find that the ARC is less stress on my knees and lower body. Try it out tonight and see what you think. Bet you get hooked!! haha
  • ashtonvv
    ashtonvv Posts: 144
    Options
    Nice Thanks everyone! I also have a bad knee (I was in an accident a few years back). Im hoping to avoid surgery and strengthen it myself! Low-Impact cardio is all I can do until its strong enough! I will be giving the ARC a try for sure!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I don't think our gym has those, I've seen several people on here mention that they love them. I want to try one! I wonder why they burn more calories than the elliptical?

Edit: Just found this, answered my own question. http://www.livestrong.com/article/182601-arc-trainers-vs-ellipticals/
  • beachbum8
    beachbum8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love the arch trainer! I hurt my knee a year ago and this machine doesn't make me feel any pain in it at all!
    Love how you can go from a glider to like a stepper all in one machine! Agreed with nytdreamer80, I am hooked on this machine now! Good luck! :)
  • sofaking6
    Options
    I always wondered what those machines were! They usually empty! I also workout at the Y and have my favorite elliptical that I usually head straight to but I've got a bruised knee (slipped on the ice!) so would the arc trainer be a good thing to try tonight? I did the elliptical yesterday and it felt fine but I found I didn't have as much "push" to get my heart rate up.

For those that have used it, what do you think?

I would try it but keep the resistance low until you see how it feels.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I tried this and it took a bit to get the hang of it because my arms are short and I felt like they were being ripped off hanging on to the handles! I kept the resistance between 13 and 21 out of 100 and no incline and I really liked it. I didn't notice a big difference between this and the elliptical for calorie burn but I put the resistance pretty high on the elliptical so once I can do that on the arc I'm sure that'll improve the burn.

It's definitely something I'll use again - thanks for asking about it OP or I might not have tried it today. Almost no impact on my knee and I feel great even after being on it for an hour.

One question: I found my feet kept slipping forward and my toes would get crunched in the front of the foot pedals - is that a factor of my stride or my shoes? I don't notice this happening as often on the elliptical. Thanks for your advice everyone!
  • spollard40
    spollard40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the Arc Trainer, too. I hate the elliptical with a fiery passion and the arc just feels so much better to me, AND I'm burning twice what I would on the ellitical or treadmill.
  • sofaking6
    Options

One question: I found my feet kept slipping forward and my toes would get crunched in the front of the foot pedals - is that a factor of my stride or my shoes? I don't notice this happening as often on the elliptical. Thanks for your advice everyone!

I wonder if it's associated with the Short Arm Stretching Syndrome (aka SASS) you mentioned? Maybe you are leaning forward due to reaching for the handles? Is there a way to hold on lower down on the handles, or let them go for awhile and see if you still slide forward?
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's the only machine I do!!