What’s your secrete to “NO”?

Options
My biggest problem is saying no to yummy foods (especially sweets). I’m currently looking into books about emotional eating and how to overcome it (I suspect that that is the root of my evil here) But I’d love to know from those of you out there… what motivates you to just say no to unhealthy foods?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am re-reading "Overcoming Overeating" which is a fantastic, insightful book. The way that I am learning to say "no" is to ask myself two questions: "Am I hungry?" and if the answer is "yes", then "will this nourish my body?" If the answer is "no," it really helps me to second-guess whether to eat something. I often eat the item anyway if I have the calories to spare, but going through that process at least helps me to be more cognizant of the decision-making process that goes into a more healthy eating pattern.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound mean, and please don't take this the wrong way, but have you thought about seeking help from a therapist with this issue? While books are informative, receiving therapy may be beneficial too.

I has sought help with that same issue with a therapist, and it's helped immensely. I used the book The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person in conjunction with my CBT therapist. It really helped a lot. Major self discovery.

Dr. Beck is a very well respected researcher in the field of psychology, specifically Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

Hope this helps!
  • scottyroman
    scottyroman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me away from unhealthy food is keeping buisy till im tired than i dont think about the good stuff and if im making unhealthy good food i make enough for everyone but myself and give it to the everyone but myself and make sure i eat something good prior to makeing it.
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but here's what I can suggest.

When I get the temptation to eat something between meals or that is not that healthy for me, I chew a piece of gum. I've found with this method that sometimes I'm just not hungry, I just need to give my mouth something to chew on for awhile. Usually, the gum will satisfy my need for the unhealthy food.

I don't know if this will work with you, but it works wonders for me. :)
  • cookiemomlane
    cookiemomlane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion about the Gum!

For me I have to ask those same questions, Am I hungry? Will this satisfy me?
    But I also know that I have to allow myself to have these things on a limited basis so I stop craving them so much.

Good Luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I say no (most of the time) because I know what I don't like about being overweight and what I like about being healthy. I have written these things down and I review them to remind myself why I'm on the journey. I remind myself that the journey doesn't work if I go about it half *kitten*. Being mamsy pamsy about what I ate helped me become obese. I didn't like anything about that lifestyle. I can't be mamsy pamsy about the journey.

saying this, I do believe in treating yourself at times...planned times preferably...but occasionally and in moderation only.
  • andybenny
    andybenny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have something tempting you in your house you can do a few things...pour soap on it, put it in the trash, give to someone else. I mean physically go out and hand it to a homeless person, someone in your house, or take it to a neighbor in need. I personally have to make it gross like pour soap on it. I instantly don't want it.
  • goldninja
    goldninja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water first because half the time you are getting hunger signals, you are really thirsty instead. Another good rule of thumb is if you are hungry enough to eat an apple, you are probably hungry.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    If you have something tempting you in your house you can do a few things...pour soap on it, put it in the trash, give to someone else. I mean physically go out and hand it to a homeless person, someone in your house, or take it to a neighbor in need. I personally have to make it gross like pour soap on it. I instantly don't want it.

^^ wonderful advice. I'm a big fan of "out of sight, out of mind"....in addition to what I mentioned above. Despite my best efforts, there are still some things that I cannot have in the house (i.e., cape cod salt & vinegar kettle chips)....so I don't get them.
  • Freda43
    Options
    I totally agree, I tend to over eat when emotional or bored. What do I do? Don't know yet lol, that's why I am on here :) apart from keeping busy and trying to think about the dress I want to get into when I open the fridge. Could do with an alarm on my fridge that would tell me to "step away from the food" that may help!
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i try to take a moment and think about how i'm currently feeling (hungry, full), and how i'm going to feel after i eat it. i've had my share of binges and i know the crappy feeling afterwards, so it's pretty easy to remind myself of that if i'm going to make an extremely unhealthy choice.
  • LaceyJo5346
    Options
    My main motivation is that I am going on a cruise in a few weeks. However, saying no to unhealthy foods is fairly easy after the first week or so. I had trouble for a long time because I work at a home improvement/grocery store and while working the cash register I was surrounded by sweets and pop machines and junk food (ie: chips, cookies) making it challenging. Once I made a promise to myself that I would eat better and fuel my body with fruits, veggies, lean meat and water instead of fast food and pop it made saying no to those foods much easier. Reading about what is in unhealthy foods also helps to say no. Another way of helping you say no is to cut out bad foods for one week.. If that's too much try 3 days.. When you start eating right and drinking water you will notice that you have more energy and you wont feel as run down. Noticing these things makes it so much easier to say no. An occasional big of chocolate here and there is OK. Don't feel that you need to cut out sweets altogether. One way of fixing your sweet tooth is by eating a lot of fruits. Peaches and pineapple are my favorites to snack on because they are sweet all by themselves. As far as the "emotional eating" goes, it is all in your head. Its a choice you make. If you have trouble and do binge eat, try to be more aware of what you are eating. If you crave ice cream, try sorbet or sugar free ice cream. If it is chocolate you crave switch to dark chocolate. I tend to want wine when I get upset or stressed but instead of picking up the Moscato I switched to Cabernet. Red wine is good for your heart and two glasses makes me sleepy.
    I dont know if this is what you were looking for in an answer, but trust me once you switch over to fruits and veggies and water you will notice a huge difference. I hope this was informative and I wish you the best of luck.

13900759.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • samdgood
    samdgood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i like sweets and i'm going to eat sweets. pie, cheesecake, fudge, reeses cup. but having something sweet is part of my plan and i like that part. i also like that i am eating healhtier than i ever have before. i am adding fresh healthy foods and cutting out processed foods. i am also a fast fiver. i eat during a five hour window and fast for 19 hours. BUT i don't stress about it. i picked a window that works with my lifestyle. most people have a later window while mine is 11 or 12 to 4 or 5 pm. and if i stretch it to 6 hour or 7 hour window once or twice a week... it's ok. i don't eat sweets every day but once or twice a week.

knowing you don't have to say no... knowing it's ok to say yes makes it easier and less stressful. i was gaining now i am losing. i didn't lose a single pound last week but i didn't gain either. don't stress. keep track of your food. when i eat mcdonalds and see the results after i add it to my food diary i don't want it next time. it wasn't that good anyhow. it's usually cold, it's too much salt and way too much fat so next time i think how about something that tastes good and is better nutritionally?

make a plan... keep track of your food... don't stress

by the way... i've lost 6 lbs since i started on fitness pal but i've lost 28 lbs total!
  • addy_rodriguez
    addy_rodriguez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    WOW! Let me just say I am AMAZED at how willing to help and share their tips everyone on here is!
    Thanks so much. There are some great suggestions on here!
    Thanks a bunch everyone!
  • LauraLovesCamp
    Options
    Don't say no. Say, "not now. Maybe later." That works for me!
  • addy_rodriguez
    Options
    Drink a glass of water first because half the time you are getting hunger signals, you are really thirsty instead. Another good rule of thumb is if you are hungry enough to eat an apple, you are probably hungry.
    LOVE THIS I WILL THINK APPLES WHEN I SEE CUPCAKES FROM NOW ON!
  • addy_rodriguez
    Options
    I don't want to sound mean, and please don't take this the wrong way, but have you thought about seeking help from a therapist with this issue? While books are informative, receiving therapy may be beneficial too.

I has sought help with that same issue with a therapist, and it's helped immensely. I used the book The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person in conjunction with my CBT therapist. It really helped a lot. Major self discovery.

Dr. Beck is a very well respected researcher in the field of psychology, specifically Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

Hope this helps!
    OH How I wish I could afford professional help.
    The last time I managed to get my weight down I had a personal trainer and a well paying job. I think the fact that the economy hit me hard and now I’ll have to do this on my own sans professional help is one of the reasons it has taken me so long to get started. So for right now all I can do is absorb as much knowledge about the subject and do my best to put it into practice. Thanks a million for the suggestion
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it,
    Don't make it
    if it's near you......go for a walk.
    If you can't get away from it, clean your teeth or chew gum....the mint overrides the other smell.
    Go to the bathroom and check out your reflection, remind yourself why you are trying not to eat whatever it is!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    For me, its this app. The disappointment of seeing that I went over my calories, that those on my friends list would see it. I know its silly, but it really helped me
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm committed to the calories MFP gives me. I know that if I eat high calorie foods, I'll end up hungrier than if I eat more nutritious foods. Every bite is a decision I own.

When I started this, I also discovered that half of the pimple/acne problems I'd experienced all of my life actually did come from my diet, not genetics. If I eat too much junk, it definitely shows. Knowing that helps a lot.