I used to eat THAT????

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
Now that I am couting calories and watching what I eat, I cannot get over the amount of some foods that I ate.

CHEESE....I never realized just how much cheese I ate every day. While making my sons sandwich I would snack on 2 slices, then have a few on my own sandwich. Not to mention just snacking during the day on cheesesticks.

BREAD...HOLY MOLY:noway: ....Toast in the morning...sandwich for lunch and then bread with dinner. WOW!

Cutting those things down alone has helped me tremendously!!

How about you??:wink:

Replies

• nikii14
    Options
    Now that I am couting calories and watching what I eat, I cannot get over the amount of some foods that I ate.

CHEESE....I never realized just how much cheese I ate every day. While making my sons sandwich I would snack on 2 slices, then have a few on my own sandwich. Not to mention just snacking during the day on cheesesticks.

BREAD...HOLY MOLY:noway: ....Toast in the morning...sandwich for lunch and then bread with dinner. WOW!

Cutting those things down alone has helped me tremendously!!

How about you??:wink:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Nanny and I homeschooled a little boy so we were always on the go..once I calculated my daily intake lets just say it was about triple...I would start my day with 1-2 Mcdonalds Breakfasts usually the steak bagel. Then I would have Mcdonalds for lunch and chinese food for dinner ....insane how much food I would consume and then wonder how my feet were swollen.....now I usually have yogurt for breakfast with OJ or fruit ...lentils and spinach and fruit for lunch....veggies,hummus,triscuits and lean meat or lentils for dinner.....
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    honestly, i don't even want to know nor try to make any calculation of what i would eat on a typical day before :noway: i could eat a family-size box of ice-cream for dessert alone and that's just one of the desserts i would have during the day :embarassed:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    For me, it was two things. One, the little bites here and there I would take of my children's snack food. When I started consciously counting what I was putting in my mouth :noway:

The other was peanut butter. Until I got a measuring scale, I was seriously cheating on the whole tablespoon thing. I was eating at least twice the amount, kidding myself into believing it was really only 2 tbsp, although my thighs definitely didn't believe the lie.
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Nanny and I homeschooled a little boy so we were always on the go..once I calculated my daily intake lets just say it was about triple...I would start my day with 1-2 Mcdonalds Breakfasts usually the steak bagel. Then I would have Mcdonalds for lunch and chinese food for dinner ....insane how much food I would consume and then wonder how my feet were swollen.....now I usually have yogurt for breakfast with OJ or fruit ...lentils and spinach and fruit for lunch....veggies,hummus,triscuits and lean meat or lentils for dinner.....

I had a huge issue for two years with my legs and feet swelling, the doctor said it was from standing and sitting too long but with my job thats what i do, i didnt move around much, he told me to lay off the sodium and it wud help, i didnt eat out much and i never salted my foods so i thought it cudnt b that, it took mfp to show me how much sodium is in everything i thought it wasnt and now my swelling has immensly gone down!
  • nikii14
    Options
    For me, it was two things. One, the little bites here and there I would take of my children's snack food. When I started consciously counting what I was putting in my mouth :noway:

The other was peanut butter. Until I got a measuring scale, I was seriously cheating on the whole tablespoon thing. I was eating at least twice the amount, kidding myself into believing it was really only 2 tbsp, although my thighs definitely didn't believe the lie.

Ahh..Yes...How could I forget Peanut Butter??? However, I must admit, I still eat a bit too much of it:grumble:
  • jennyeckel
    jennyeckel Posts: 209
    Options
    oh yeah that evil peanut butter :devil: I don't think that I used to realize that a serving was only 2tbsp...yeah right try like a half a cup.....ughhhhhhh

and ditto on the icecream Purr, We should all be proud of how much we have all changed!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

jenny

92053.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

only 40 lbs left......yippeeee
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I had a huge issue for two years with my legs and feet swelling, the doctor said it was from standing and sitting too long but with my job thats what i do, i didnt move around much, he told me to lay off the sodium and it wud help, i didnt eat out much and i never salted my foods so i thought it cudnt b that, it took mfp to show me how much sodium is in everything i thought it wasnt and now my swelling has immensly gone down!
    yep my swelling has been non existent since December ..its crazy what we put our bodies through
  • PixieFire
    PixieFire Posts: 45
    Options
    Oh cheese...So good but so many calories.
  • ness13hill
    ness13hill Posts: 114
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I was just thinking about this the other day and told some of my friends and family...i was shocked at how much some foods are. At least we are more aware now...sometimes still tough to make the right decisions...now knowing or being more aware defentely makes me stop and think!
  • millers4
    millers4 Posts: 3
    Options
    I too began counting calories. And never realized how many calories were in the little things. And ever since I've been counting calories I look at the label and am in shock :noway: I'm like NO WAY am I going to have this. I too fell into the whole, feed my children, they don't finish it and I'll finish it, a little here a little there.. Never realizing how many extra calories I was consuming.. But now that I'm on the right track, I hope to go a far way!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I used to sit and eat an entire family sized bag of m&m's in one or two days. An afternoon "snack" was 4 Oreos and a glass of whole milk.

When I was pregnant with my second child I ate a Burger King cheeseburger and 2 super-sized fries 3 days a week! I even ate that meal during labor with him! Poor kid.
  • krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    oh man....i used to eat bagels..loaded with cream cheese. and im talking 2 bagels each time. and they werent small ones either. there were actually a few times when i ate the whole pack in a day. along with the whole pack of cream cheese. i did this for years. my cholesterol was so high.

then i started to diet and exercise and my cholesterol dropped 40 points! and it is in the healthy range now. i havent had a bagel in about 3months....i do miss them :blushing:
  • daisylou
    daisylou Posts: 118
    Options
    I agree. I use to eat fast food all the time,especially burger king breakfast. When I looked it up just that alone was over 550 calories, now my breakfast is under 200 sometimes under 150. What a difference. But I am finding the more weight I lose the more I don't want to eat that crap anymore. Although I still crave mexican...especially the cheese...OK now I am going to go eat some carrot sticks! :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

bagels with margarine and cream cheese

peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with margarine on thick bread

a ton of mayo with tuna fish

chicken nuggets

cheese, cheese, cheese

pita chips eaten right out of the bag

"healthy" cereals that were full of sugar in a dozen different forms

giant helpings of everything.

I am so grateful to MFP for helping me get on track:heart::love: :heart: :love: :heart:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I know where your coming from my habits where horrible I wouldn't eat until 2 to 3 in the afternoon then after my youngest went to bed i would curl up with a good book and shovel in any food that came in a package. It was mindless eating I used to read for 3 hours and wonder why my stomach hurt:noway: so glad that's over bring on the future:drinker:
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh cheese...So good but so many calories.

mmm cheese
  • bbybug
    bbybug Posts: 7
    Options
    It was truly an eye opener to see what I WAS consuming. Now, it's a fun little thing to get on the fast food websites and see what my husband and I would normally consume for a meal. The biggest one was the Ruprict nachos from Moe's. And this was the vegetarian option at over 1700 calories, not including if you got extra nachos. WHEW. And that's just what my husband got for himself! My burrito was about 1400+. No wonder we felt so horrible whenever we left!
    This site has been SO helpful in discovering just exactly I've been putting in my mouth.
    Awareness is so key!

123637.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • lucasosmama
    Options
    Nachos from the gas station... yeah at least a few times a week. I'm sure the "cheese" isn't really even cheese either and I would put the cheese in a totally different cup so I could make sure that each chip was COVERED in it.

I would also have some soda and a giant coffee with LOTS and LOTS of sugar and Creamer to go with it. :drinker:

And I would eat all of this WAY late at night because my Brother-in-law worked the 3rd shift so I would go hang out with him for a bit and snack.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Tell me about it! I NEVER read food labels back then and serving sizes? What were serving sizes??? My problems were late-night large bowls of "healthy" cereal and portion control - basically it didn't exist! I'd ALWAYS have 2nds for dinner and then would go to Sonic for an icecream Blast with the hubby afterward! Let's not even get into what I'd order when we ate out!!! We now limit eating out to once per week and when we do it's all about smart choices!!! :happy: I :heart: MFP!

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary