just need a little help please

Options
I have been "seriously" trying to lose weight now for about a month. I went to the dr. and talked with him, joined a gym and bought my own treadmill. --and yes I do work out about 4-5 nights a week at the gym and walk on the treadmill at home. I no longer eat junk food or drink cokes-- i have made a lot of changes in how i eat. (with an occasional slip up of couse) but for the most part I eat no where near as much as what i use to and i eat better things--however i have only lost about 5 lbs and stayed pretty much the same since. i dont know what im doing wrong but i am getting very discouraged --does anyone have any ideas that will help--

Replies

• laceyohall
    Options
    I have been "seriously" trying to lose weight now for about a month. I went to the dr. and talked with him, joined a gym and bought my own treadmill. --and yes I do work out about 4-5 nights a week at the gym and walk on the treadmill at home. I no longer eat junk food or drink cokes-- i have made a lot of changes in how i eat. (with an occasional slip up of couse) but for the most part I eat no where near as much as what i use to and i eat better things--however i have only lost about 5 lbs and stayed pretty much the same since. i dont know what im doing wrong but i am getting very discouraged --does anyone have any ideas that will help--
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Read the "Inches Away" post - I think you should do this! You're probably losing inches, throw those scales away! :flowerforyou:
  • lessofmesoon
    Options
    Actually you are doing great! People that take off weight too fast always gain it back along with more. If you lose a pound a week that is 52 pounds a year. Losing it at a slower pace allows you to eat a little more and not feel deprived. A year from now you will step on the scale and realize that you have lost 52 pounds and it wasn't too bad. Hang in there. I am new to this site but I started my diet last April , wanting to lose 100 pounds. It has been about 1 year and I have lost 52 pounds. I figure I have about 1 year to go and that year will pass, diet or no diet, so I might as well take it 1 pound at a time. You hang in there and it will happen. Best wishes.
  • katkat
    katkat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    have you ever seen body flex by greer childers? she has a video tape and you can buy the book called be a loser. it is the easiest, quickest exercise and you can do it at home. i have taught a bunch of friends how to do it and EVERYONE who has tried it, has great results. no leaving home for the gym, no expensive workoput stuff, just do this and drink lots of water and eat better. good luck.
    katkat
  • Anne1882
    Anne1882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Another thing you are probably going to find is that muscle mass is going up, so you are not going to be showing much loss for a month or two while your muscles bulk up a little. Keep it up! You will see the results!
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I'm the same way. I will go for two weeks doing all the right things and not loose a lb, and then one day, I get back on the scale and I have lost 2lbs. Make sure you are eating enough calories. If you are working out hard and are at 1200 calories, you may not be eating enough which will keep you from loosing weight.

5lbs since February is great. I have lost 14lbs since January 9th (that's when I came back) and that is about 1lb per week. Also, I am measuring my waist, hips, etc. and have seen the inches come off which helps me to keep going. I'm realy happy with the results. Remeber, slow and steady wins the race! :flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Five pounds in a month sounds right on track. You didn't gain it all in a couple months, so you can't take it off quickly either. Losing it slowly is the best way to go because you'll be less likely to gain to back, and you'll have a lower chance of getting a lot of loose skin once the fat is gone.

Most of us here are set to lose 1 pound a week, 2 at the max, so 5 pounds in one month is just right and I think you should just keep doing what you're doing.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Few things not mentioned in your post how many calories are you eating? How much time do you spend doing cardio? How much weight are you trying to lose? Are you watching sodium & carbs?
  • jennyeckel
    jennyeckel Posts: 209
    Options
    Don't worry!!!!

Just like a lot of ppl said, slow and steady wins the race!
    I have lost around 75-80 lbs and it took almost 2 years! Now granted last year wasn't the greatest but I didnt' gain....:grumble: Anywho, inches count, muscles count, 5 pounds is GREAT!!!!

I think I like the advice about THROWING THE SCALE OUT!! :laugh:

keep going YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! I have to remember that it took how long to put the weight on and that it will take way longer to take it off.....becuase it is a lot more work to take it off than putting it on....:grumble: :grumble:

good luck!
    jenny

92053.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

only 40 more to go!
  • laceyohall
    Options
    thank you all who replied....it helps seeing others who are in the same situation--i just feel like i am doing more now than i ever have and i just want faster results--any ways thanks!!
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You will get there. Just putting one foot in front of the other. You are doing just fine.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Chances are you didn't put the weight on in a few weeks, so it's going to take some time shaving it off.

Don't give up! Take your measurement so you can keep things real between yourself and you. It also sounds like you are committed to this new process 100%... maybe look into having a few sessions at the gym with a personal trainer, someone who will really push you past your own mental barriers of what you think you are capable of. And/or get a Heart Rate Monitor so you can really see if you are burning the right amount of cals and how you are burning them.

Don't give up. But don't take your critical eye away from the situation. You can do it!!!