what is the difference between a dry sauna and wet sauna?

Options
I asked a employee at my gym what is the difference between a dry sauna and wet sauna was and the guy said "one is wet and one is dry". Yeah okay thanks buddy! What is the benefits of them? Why use one over the other?

Replies

• ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    "Wet home saunas are often called steam saunas. Most saunas today use a heater and some type of volcanic rocks. In both cases, the rocks are heated to a high temperature. The main difference between a wet and dry sauna is the water that is splashed over the rocks in a sauna that is wet. Because the rocks are heated to such an extreme temperature, the water vaporizes very quickly causing steam to form. In a dry sauna, there is no water, just heated rocks."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/465765

You should try them both and decide which one you like better. I usually like to do 10 minutes in each starting with the dry sauna and finishing with the wet sauna. That way I get the best of both worlds. If I had to choose, though, I would choose the wet sauna. But it really just depends on the person. Have fun, it's great for the skin.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    OP from my limited understanding, I am under the impression the dry sauna is for your lungs & the wet sauna is for sweating out impurities. I was told this at my gym but have done no independent research, hope this helps.

Russ
  • TXCountryChick
    TXCountryChick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks!