For those that lost 60+ lbs, and those of you that want to h

Options
2»

Replies

• deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 70-75 lbs. I started my journey with MFP. :bigsmile: Just happened to come across the MFP app on my iPhone. Best thing ever!

Log, log, log!
    Stay focused and persistant.
    Don't let anything discourage you.

I had lost 57 lbs already but my dumb *kitten* fell off the wagon hard. I lost focus and didn't workout or log like I should have for about 6 weeks. I'm back on track now but it seems to be that I've hit a plateau but I'm staying focused and the scale will budge. :flowerforyou:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've lost close to 70 pounds. I started with a weight loss challenge, and in one of the classes, they mentioned online calorie counters. I googled it that night and found this site, so I've been using it since the beginning. I am now thoroughly addicted, and I still log my calories and exercise even though I'm in maintenance mode. It's a tool to help me be accountable. Although, even if I didn't log now, I am pretty good at guesstimating how many calories are in what I'm eating anyway. Eventually I may stop using the site, but for now, I'll be here!
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds over a 20 month period, it turns out the weight loss was probably do to a medical condition. I found MFP through a co-worker at the end of October and started counting calories for the first time. Out of curiosity I tracked my weight loss measured on my scale against the calculated weight loss from my calories burned from normal daily activities minus the net daily calorie input. After 12 weeks my weight loss on the scales was 13 pounds, my calculated weight loss was 13.3 pounds. Counting the calories now makes sense to me and I plan on doing it through the next 30 pounds or so.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Did your journey start on MFP, or is this a tool you found along the way.
    Do you still log all your food, and in doing so, is that how you took the weight off.
    Your tips, or secrets, or just some motivational help would be nice!!

Nope, my journey started with Weight Watchers 2 years ago (former points system). We had at work sessions for 2 quarters then didn't have enough participation so I kept tracking points on my own. Took a bit of a break of the holidays and was having a hard time getting back on track - and thankfully that's when someone introduced me to MFP.

Yes, I log all my food and exercise every day and plan on continuing at least for a good six months once I hit maintenance and will track again if I start slipping. I wouldn't contrubute logging my food to my success, I think planning and building healthier eating habits and being mroe active has more to do with that. But logging is a very valuable too, especially for a beginner. If you're not aware of your eating habits, you can't change them.

My usual tips have a lot to do with water weight because that seems to be a major source of frustration, especially for newer members. Track your sodium - if it's over the max, work on getting some of the processed foods out of your diet, eat more fresh fruits and veggies and whole foods. Drink at least those 8 cups of water per day, more if your sodium is high and/or you're active. If you're newly active, or you've recently increased your activity, that also leads to water weight. If your muscles are sore, they're retaining water as part of their natural healing process.

Plan as much as you can and always have healthy snacks on hand.

If you think you "hate" exercise, try everything out there. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money, check out sources online, rent DVDs through your library, do body weight exercises at home, walk, run or bike outside.

If you think you "hate" fruits and veggies, try different ones. Just because you don't like green grapes, doesn't mean you don't like red grapes. Just because you don't like your mother's overcooked brussel sprouts, doesn't mean you wouldn't like them shredded and sauteed. Just because you don't like green beans out of a can, doesn't mean you wouldn't like them fresh or frozen. Try new things!

Eat your exercise calories. If you're worried about it, only eat half of them. You NEED to fuel or body!

Finally, I believe in everything in moderation so this is just my opinion but just because you're dieting doesn't mean you can't have chocolate or pizza. Enjoy it!
  • Ryan_Marie_
    Ryan_Marie_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My journey started with MFP.

and really i changed my diet and started exercising, but i really didn't start loosing the weight like i do now until i started drinking TONS of water. I do not drink anything but water. I put milk in my visalus shakes and powerade when i work out.

and I try and log everyday, some times i forget, but I've been doing really good lately:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!