HAIR LOSS!!!

Options
Hello,

I lose A LOT of hair. I'm 20, I have dyed it, I do occasionally blow dry, I do straighten, sometimes tease it, but I lose WAY more than I should. I hate showering because when I get out the hair is stuck everywhere.

I have to clean my bathroom floor every morning when I'm done brushing my hair. I have naturally thin hair as it is, so I am looking for help here!

I eat healthy, and I take multivitamins with omega 3 in it. I am taking birth control, but my doctor says that wouldn't cause this much hair loss.

Any suggestions? Anybody studying cosmetology out there?!

Thank you!
-Kayla Ford

Replies

• cuelgirl
    cuelgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hmm... I really don't know what causes it... I also have a lot of hair loss... but mine seems to be only around the winter time... I take Biotin every day... and that helps it...
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Do you take the MVI every day? I noticed that I had decreased hair loss when I took an MVI (multi-vitamin).

Also, is your bathroom floor white?
  • 22wpaff
    Options
    It could be a Thyroid issue. Get your doctor to do a blood test if the hair loss continues....:flowerforyou:
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Go see a dermatologist and/or have your doctor get your blood work done.

It could be something like stress, a thyroid problem, or even just dramatic weight loss in a very short amount of time.
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you! I read up and have started taking Biotin in addition to my multivitamin. I haven't been taking it long enough to see results, but I am confident it'll start growing back (or atleast slow the loss!)

I hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Misunderstood the context...
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    I have the same hair! I find that i loose way more depending on the brand/type of shampoo that i use. Shampoos full of harsh chemicals and sodium laureth sulfate cause a lot of loss. My favorite brand for now is Aubrey Organics. It is very mild and full of good ingredients. I get it at whole foods. Also taking a good multivitamin and making sure you are getting plenty of HEALTHY fats will help (extra virgin olive oil, flax oil, cod liver oil, virgin coconut oil, etc...most unrefined oils). I take Carlson's cod liver oil caps every day and eat a lot of cold pressed EVOO and virgin coconut oil!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    With as much hair as my wife looses every day, I'm surprised she's not bald. Some women are like that and unless its coming out in chunks, then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    When I cut all of the fat out of my diet, I lost a lot of hair. Like a noticably thinned hairline. It was not happy. However, now that I'm more relaxed about fats, I don't lose as much. Still a good bit when stressed though, I swear I was losing upwards of 50 strands every time I showered over the holiday season.
    I would also recommend switching to a shampoo/conditioner without detergents. It's much nicer to your hair :) Look for anything that lists as being dye, detergent, and paraban free. If your shampoo lathers, it's generally not gentle.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a form of alopecia and I used the mens rogaine hair foam. I was told by my doctor to try the foam over the liquid because its less noticeable when it dries. I have done it off and on for 2 yrs and my hair is thick again. That is just a suggestion. Also maybe have your doctor check your for PCOS. That is what also contributed to my hair loss. I apply the foam after my hair is semi dry then add in my frizz serum on top of it brush my hair and go.

Also I use nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I wont use anything else. I have been using it for the past 6 yrs.
  • aridein
    Options
    This can be a sign of malnutrition. It was a common side effect with girls I knew while studying ballet who were anorexic. Are you eating at least 1200 balanced calories a day? Are you growing fine hair all over your body (especially unusual areas for women like your face and inner arms?) If this doesn't describe you it could be a reaction to extreme stress. According to Google, women lose between 50-100 strands a day, and as much as 250 on wash day is considered normal. Seems high to me but apparently, that much hair loss is nothing to worry about.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost? Hair loss is common in dieters because there is usually a lack of vitamins and fat so the body shuts down production of unnecessary things to keep your organs functioning. It's also common when people lose a lot of weight quickly (as in weight loss surgery) because it takes a little while for your hormones to balance out. Similar to when a woman loses a lot of hair after giving birth, the body is just in hormonal shock.

Often a product like Nioxin can be used to jump start your hair follicles again, otherwise I'd give it 6 months or so (provided there isn't another underlying medical cause) and you should start to see new growth again.

P.S. Heat styling and coloring won't make your hair fall out, they only create damage and breakage. Hair loss is one of 3 things: stress (including hormones), blocked follicles (product buildup - common in men who use cheap shampoo), and genetics.
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    I also had a lot of hair loss and stopped it (other than normal loss) by taking a great multivitamin and Biotin.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein?

You could try being a little more gentle with your hair.
    Instead of blow drying use a heat diffuser to dry your hair. They cost about twenty bucks and disperse heat in your hair more gently so it's more natural.
    Stop brushing it. I don't brush my hair. I use my fingers to comb through it. It takes an hour for me, but my hair is over two feet long, uber curly and it works for me.
    Rinsing your hair in cold or cold-ish water can help its health.
    I've heard that Aloe Vera can be really helpful in hair loss and balding. I don't use it through, I've just heard.

And remember you lose about 40-120 hairs daily. Sometimes the loose hair gets trapped in your hair so it doesn't come out until you brush it or condition it.
    Your hair loss is going to be at it's peak in the winter months. If you have fine hair, you probably have more hair than someone with normal to thick hair (I'm talking about the individual strands. Thin hair is kind of feather-ish, like baby hair) so you will lose more of it.

I'm not a cosmologist, but I have been on a quest to have proper hair care for the past six months.

Edit: A "It's" should have been a "its". >.>
  • mnsunnie
    Options
    Yes, it will thin out when you start to really get into your weight loss. The body doesnt understand what is going on and starts to go into reserve. Your hair is one of the secondary items your body protects, therefore, it thins and slows growth. I went for over 2 months without needing a haircut! But,I took Biotin and increased my calories by 400/500 every coulpe days and it started to return to normal. It takes a couple months to recover so dont panic your body needs to catch up.

Good Luck!
  • siouxperwoman
    Options
    I have a form of alopecia and I used the mens rogaine hair foam. I was told by my doctor to try the foam over the liquid because its less noticeable when it dries. I have done it off and on for 2 yrs and my hair is thick again. That is just a suggestion. Also maybe have your doctor check your for PCOS. That is what also contributed to my hair loss. I apply the foam after my hair is semi dry then add in my frizz serum on top of it brush my hair and go.

Also I use nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I wont use anything else. I have been using it for the past 6 yrs.

I have heard about the nioxin shampoo and conditioner, but what exactly does it do? Somebody else stated it will activate my hair follicles? Confused. But interested in a shampoo vs. a pill like biotin. I hate pills.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have heard about the nioxin shampoo and conditioner, but what exactly does it do? Somebody else stated it will activate my hair follicles? Confused. But interested in a shampoo vs. a pill like biotin. I hate pills.
    [/quote]

It doesnt have the harsh chemicals that other shampoos and conditioners have by that I mean sulfites. It helps give your the hair an appearance of fullness. It stimulates your hair folicles. You can check out this link http://nioxin.com/en-US/products/product-system-kit-page.aspx?id=83. If you have a beauty brands near you they have 50% off deals a few times a year on nioxin.

Also if you highlight your hair it helps to fatten up you hair follicles to give the appearance of thicker hair.

Oh and nioxin is expensive but I only have to buy it about every 8-9 months. So it last a long time.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    It could be a Thyroid issue. Get your doctor to do a blood test if the hair loss continues....:flowerforyou:

I agree with this. Please have your blood tested.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have super baby fine thin hair. All my life I've always lost a lot of hair. My hair is also chemically processed and since it's so thin just looking at it damages it.

A few months ago I stopped using shampoo. I only use conditioner now. It actually works really well at cleaning my hair and I still get that squeaky clean feeling. My hair feels healthier than ever now, and I don't lose anywhere near the volume of hair I used to.

I also agree with everyone that getting checked out by a doctor is a good idea. Hair loss is a symptom of a lot of different things, it's best to be sure.

edited to add: Also, I used to be a cosmetologist.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

Nioxin is supposed to remove some of the buildup on the scalp for people with thinning hair and unclog their follicles. My guy's using it... but I can't say that it makes much of a difference. It also strips hair dye.