Truth to the 500 calorie deficit?

Options
Any truth to the 500 calorie deficit/day to lose 1 lb per week? Anyone doing this?

I'm trying to come close to this while still eating sufficiently and its kicking my butt! Granted that is what I get for slacking so long then having a sudden deadline to cut/tone up for!

I'm still feeling totally clueless with the whole diet/exercise thing. I feel like I take an idea (like the 500 cal deficit) and run with it until I trip.

I gotta be comfortable with my bod by March 29th.... whats working/worked for you?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Any truth to the 500 calorie deficit/day to lose 1 lb per week? Anyone doing this?

I'm trying to come close to this while still eating sufficiently and its kicking my butt! Granted that is what I get for slacking so long then having a sudden deadline to cut/tone up for!

I'm still feeling totally clueless with the whole diet/exercise thing. I feel like I take an idea (like the 500 cal deficit) and run with it until I trip.

I gotta be comfortable with my bod by March 29th.... whats working/worked for you?

1lb of fat = 3500 cals, 3500 cals / 7 is 500 cals a day, however weight loss is not linear, so just because you have a 3500 calorie deficit, it doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to 1lb lost on the scale.

Generally the more overwieght you are, the larger the daily deficit you can run and vice versa, the leaner you are the lower the daily deficit you should run
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

1lb of fat = 3500 cals, 3500 cals / 7 is 500 cals a day, however weight loss is not linear, so just because you have a 3500 calorie deficit, it doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to 1lb lost on the scale.

Generally the more overwieght you are, the larger the daily deficit you can run and vice versa, the leaner you are the lower the daily deficit you should run

Agreed.

Plus there are all kinds of other factors at play that affect how quickly you lose and where you lose it from.
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    Not sure what height/frame size you are, etc., but I have a pretty small frame and had consistent loss with a 300ish calorie deficit. Still lost .5-1 pound a week. Tried to always eat my exercise calories. Everyone is different, you will have to try the 500 deficit for a few weeks and see if it works for you.
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I knew the math theory behind it, I just didn't know how it actually played out in life. Sometimes I need to hear other people's opinion/views/experiences rather than just seeing my own.