Eating back calories???

Options
So... I make sure to eat at least 1200 calories per day, but I burn anywhere from 400 to 1500 calories per day by combonation of gym, swimming and raquetball. However, so far I haven't been eating more to replace those calories and have only lost about 9lbs in about 4 weeks. Should I be eating back those calories? Would I lose weight faster if I did? Help!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes.

If you eat 1200, then burn 1500, you're at -300 for the day. Do you really think that's healthy?

Do a quick search and you find 1000s of exercise calorie threads.
  • 2BSEXY48
    2BSEXY48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am looking to loose 30 pds and i eat 1500 calories per day and i have lost 10 pds in one month. This is healthy and im not depriving myself.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes.

If you eat 1200, then burn 1500, you're at -300 for the day. Do you really think that's healthy?

Exactlly this. Check out: www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com :smile:

By the way - 9 pounds in 4 weeks is a very fast rate of weight loss - real life isn't like the biggest loser!!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Please, please, please keep your NET calories above 1200.
  • misfixit1
    misfixit1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to eat the calories to help your body work. You need calories to Do normal functions such as breathing. Depending on your height and weight you may need any where from 1000 to 2000 calories to do basic functions. Google basal metabolic rate. To see what you need to be doing for your activity level.
  • misfixit1
    Options
    Yes.

Exactlly this. Check out: www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com :smile:

By the way - 9 pounds in 4 weeks is a very fast rate of weight loss - real life isn't like the biggest loser!! It depends on how your losing that weight. I lost 15 pounds in my first 4 weeks. And I did it the healthy way. Now I lose an average of 2 pounds a week.
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Do not eat back all the calories u burn working out if u want to lose weight consistently. MFP over estimates calories burned for certain activities. I eat 1600 a day whether I workout or sit on the couch all day. 9 lbs on 4 weeks is A good pace and that's what u should expect 1-3 lbs a week. In mine and my wifes experience we will have a week or two of only losing 1 lbs or so then put up a 3-5 lbs loss in a week. Also it is helpful to take measurements every 3-4 weeks so if the scales not moving as quickly as expected then u can track results another way which is very motivating
  • PaulS70
    PaulS70 Posts: 70
    Options
    I have solved this dilemma by cutting out most forms of exercise. :tongue:
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies and the web link refferals. I didn't even know what BMR meant. So it looks like mine is 2414. Which means, if I want to continue to lose about 2 lbs a.week, anf NOT cut out exercize or sports (haha), I need to make sure my NET calories are 1414 each day... Is thay correct? Will I initially see a weight GAIN if I do that? Again, thanks for everybody's help!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    yes, those numbers sound much better/more reasonable.

as for an initial weight gain... you may see a slight one due to water retention, but this will be largely dependent on the foods you eat. you wont be gaining fat, but you may temporarily retain a bit more water. Your body will adjust with time, so try not to get too hung up on it.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Do not eat back all the calories u burn working out if u want to lose weight consistently. MFP over estimates calories burned for certain activities. I eat 1600 a day whether I workout or sit on the couch all day. 9 lbs on 4 weeks is A good pace and that's what u should expect 1-3 lbs a week. In mine and my wifes experience we will have a week or two of only losing 1 lbs or so then put up a 3-5 lbs loss in a week. Also it is helpful to take measurements every 3-4 weeks so if the scales not moving as quickly as expected then u can track results another way which is very motivating

the ONLY part of this I agree with is the recommendation to take your measurements.
  • flumpkin9958
    flumpkin9958 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have solved this dilemma by cutting out most forms of exercise. :tongue:

Hahahaha
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi hun. I tend to make sure my net calorie intake is always at at least 1200. I find it really hard sometimes to eat back all of the calories I've burned, purely because that is a lot of bloody food! lol. But keeping the net at 1200 means my body has sufficient calories to function without making me mega weak and lathargic. It's hard to get your head around eating more and I think in our heart of hearts, we think we are doing good by not eating back. But honestly, you would be effectively starving yourself and for obvious reasons, that's not a good thing. Keep your chin up, aim for small losses each week. You would be very surprised how it mounts up! 2lbs a week off for 20 weeksis 40lbs!! xxx
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    So... I make sure to eat at least 1200 calories per day, but I burn anywhere from 400 to 1500 calories per day by combonation of gym, swimming and raquetball. However, so far I haven't been eating more to replace those calories and have only lost about 9lbs in about 4 weeks. Should I be eating back those calories? Would I lose weight faster if I did? Help!

you should eat back your exercise as the deficit is already included in the calorie goal MFP sets you. 9lbs in 4 weeks is a huge loss to say you have only 45lbs to lose, it is unhealthy to attempt to lose faster than this, really you should be aiming for no more than 1lbs a week loss at your size, and should not eat below 1200 NET.
    if you need to up your cals without eating huge amounts of food, add healthy high cal snacks into your diet like nuts, peanut butter, whole milk, avocado, use olive oil in your cooking etc. You could see a small gain the first week or two as your body adjusts to the new cal level, but then the weight should start to drop :)
  • misfixit1
    Options

you should eat back your exercise as the deficit is already included in the calorie goal MFP sets you. 9lbs in 4 weeks is a huge loss to say you have only 45lbs to lose, it is unhealthy to attempt to lose faster than this, really you should be aiming for no more than 1lbs a week loss at your size, and should not eat below 1200 NET.
    if you need to up your cals without eating huge amounts of food, add healthy high cal snacks into your diet like nuts, peanut butter, whole milk, avocado, use olive oil in your cooking etc. You could see a small gain the first week or two as your body adjusts to the new cal level, but then the weight should start to drop :)
  • misfixit1
    Options
    A good rule to go by for weight lose is to keep just a 500 calorie deficit each day. If it says you need to eat 753. Eat back 253 that will live you with a500 lose. 500 times 7 equals 3500 calories which I 1 pound.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    A good rule to go by for weight lose is to keep just a 500 calorie deficit each day. If it says you need to eat 753. Eat back 253 that will live you with a500 lose. 500 times 7 equals 3500 calories which I 1 pound.

Wait, what??? 753 cals for what? The day?