Backpacking?

Options
I've packing a 60lb bag 4miles about every other day. I was wondering if this is a good excercise or not. I really need to work on some cardio, I know I'll probably get some strength training out of it but is it helping my cardio? I usually try to jog about a fourth of the way in intervals. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• wkoon76
    wkoon76 Posts: 22
    Options
    I've packing a 60lb bag 4miles about every other day. I was wondering if this is a good excercise or not. I really need to work on some cardio, I know I'll probably get some strength training out of it but is it helping my cardio? I usually try to jog about a fourth of the way in intervals. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    OH RAH!
    You BET IT IS GOOD EXERCISE!
    In fact I would think it is GREAT EXERCISE!
    BTW....
    Thank You!
    --Diann...
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Now, the sprinting you are doing counts too, I have read that it is good for weight loss, in fact, sprinters seem to be more healthy then people that flat out run.
    So keep up the good work.
    :bigsmile: :smile: :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • opatt23
    opatt23 Posts: 90
    Options
    Yeah absolutely that's a great exercise. My husband is a marine and he's constantly doing pt, including backpacking. He's in great shape, so yeah definitely I would think that's a great exercise.
  • laxgirl
    laxgirl Posts: 27
    Options
    It's definetly great exercise, especially if you can vary up the terrain you're walking
  • tekrueger
    Options
    I googled it and this is what I found at a site "fitwatch" (the data used were mine); these were the results that came up:

"Activity: Backpacking
    Weight: 198 lbs
    Duration: 60 minutes
    Approximately calories burned: 633"
    (http://www.fitwatch.com/phpscripts/viewexercise.php?descr=backpacking&mets=7.0)

And, if you've got a heavy load like yours (60lbs) that means I would burn 849 calories in an hour!

From what I see it looks like a GREAT exercise activity :happy: (only one caveat, it is hard on the spine if you've got disk problems for example :grumble: )

Best,

Thomas