Weights at the gym and calories????

Options
i go to the gym 5 days a week and do cardio and weights how on here can i find out my calories burned and keep track..... i see the exercise tab but how do i put in the weights i do i hope this makes some kind of sence.....this is my first time here.... i like what this has to offer...thanks for the help.. cheryl

Replies

• clneary
    clneary Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i go to the gym 5 days a week and do cardio and weights how on here can i find out my calories burned and keep track..... i see the exercise tab but how do i put in the weights i do i hope this makes some kind of sence.....this is my first time here.... i like what this has to offer...thanks for the help.. cheryl
  • ciurca
    ciurca Posts: 5
    Options
    Maybe a heart rate monitor that can show you how many calories burned.

I've ran into the same problem being I'm doing P90X, and the strength days are hard to input into here.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    When you click on the exercise tab you will see cardiovascular. Click on add exercise. You can search for whatever it is you are doing- elliptical or aerobics. If you know your calorie burn, you can insert it . Otherwise you can use the numbers MFP gives you.
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The site doesn't calculate how many calories burnt while doing weights. It only calculates how many you burn with cardio. Of course if you have a heart rate monitor it would be more tuned to YOU rather than a rough estimate. So if you want to know how many calories burnt during weight training.... you need a heart rate monitor - or you'll have to estimate yourself. I'm sure there are sites online that give estimates.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Strength training is one of the options under cardio. Obviously, a more accurate measurement would be with a HRM, but if you're like me and too cheap to buy one, this works as an estimate.

I enter my "moves" (oh yeah... I got moves) in the strength training area so I see my progress in how much weight I lift and plan my workout for the next week.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I don't log my strength training under cardio, because the calories it burns are very minimal. It's more for toning and building muscle. There is a section for strength training where you can log the weight and #of reps.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I don't log my strength training under cardio, because the calories it burns are very minimal. It's more for toning and building muscle. There is a section for strength training where you can log the weight and #of reps.

WOAH, I have to disagree with this.
    If your strength training isn't burning calories, you're not working hard enough. The only situation in which you're taking long breaks and not getting your heart rate up is during powerlifting, and I don't know of anyone else on this site that does that.
    I always always always sweat, breathe heavily, and reach fatigue/failure when I lift. I burn plenty of calories. If it's easy, it's not doing anything.
  • clneary
    clneary Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for your help.....that was a fast response i am really going to like it here
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options

WOAH, I have to disagree with this.
    If your strength training isn't burning calories, you're not working hard enough. The only situation in which you're taking long breaks and not getting your heart rate up is during powerlifting, and I don't know of anyone else on this site that does that.
    I always always always sweat, breathe heavily, and reach fatigue/failure when I lift. I burn plenty of calories. If it's easy, it's not doing anything.

I'm with you there!!! When I work out with my trainer doing strength training plus a 10-15 minute warm up for a total of 70 minutes.... I burn about 700 calories. You shouldn't be taking long rests between sets. In fact you should do a few sets (of different exercises) before resting at all. And even then only 30 seconds... then back into it!!