Suggestions for high protein diet???

Options

Replies

• crystal0830
    Options
    I use a protien shake while I work out. (Complete Nutrition Vcore Caramel Chocolate).. It is so yummy oh an I mix it with milk for a little more protien. You can do the once or twice a day depending on how much extra protien and workouts you are doing. I workout every day for at least an hour. I drink 2 a day.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    you heard it over and over again...but 1g of protein to every lb of LBM is about right. get your estimated body fat % on an online calculator, then multiple that by your total weight, and subtract from your total weight to get LBM. EX: so if you weigh 100lbs and have a 10% body fat, then you would take 100X .10= 10, and 100-10=90 for a total of 90lbs of LBM and a goal of 90g of protein! make sense?!

examples are: greek yogurt, protein powder in recipes or shakes, string cheese, nuts, cottage cheese, lean meats, fish, tuna, protein bars...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    What I've read is that you should eat 1 gram of protien for every pound of lean body mass

I know I'm just arguing semantics here, but pounds are not a unit of mass. I usually see protein intake as grams per kg of mass, but do sometimes see it as grams per pounds of weight also. So it can be confusing as to what someone means exactly.

1g/lb or 2g/kg :smile:
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    I just looked over your diary and given your calorie goal of roughly 1500 calories, consuming a protein shake, MRP etc, may not be a good option for you simply from a satiety standpoint.

My calorie goal is 1200 not 1500 even harder to fit in a high calorie protein shake :/
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    I use a protien shake while I work out. (Complete Nutrition Vcore Caramel Chocolate).. It is so yummy oh an I mix it with milk for a little more protien. You can do the once or twice a day depending on how much extra protien and workouts you are doing. I workout every day for at least an hour. I drink 2 a day.

Oooh that does sound good. Where do you get those????
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    The link I posted can help you figure out your lean body mass. As far as shakes go, you can actually put them in food. It doesn't have to be a meal replacement. I use a store brand and its only 110 calories a scoop so it really just depends on what you choose to mix it with. This morning I had an orange julius:

1/4 can of frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 cup of orange juice
    1 cup of Greek yogurt
    2 scoops of vanilla whey protein powder

Yes... this was all I had for breakfast but at 400+ calories, 77 carbs, 48 g of protein, and 1800+ mg of potassium, I really didn't need anything else. I have also put protein powder in cheesecake, pancakes, and brownies just to boost their nutritional content.

That sounds yummy but that's 1/3 of my calories for the day lol
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    How do you make protein shakes??? Is that whey powder?? Those would be meal replacements no? Aren't they usually high in calorIes??
    you can buy the lower carb Ready to Drink (RTD) protein shakes. Atkins tastes just OK to me, but EAS has the "AdvantEdge Carb Control" in chocolate fudge which only has 110 calories and 17 g protein. Also, you can now get liquid egg whites in major groceries by the Egg Beaters, and they are pasturized so they are safe to drink. They have no taste and really no texture, so you can mix into any liquid. I add 2 servings to my protein shakes and also to my skim milk for breakfast cereal. You can get the "lite" version of whey powders and mix your own, but you usually can't get a small pack just to try. some folks like certain brands and can't gag others down. But they are portable and cheaper in the long run, plus you can mix with milk or water, depending on your goals.

Good to know. Thank you ;)
  • peacelily0507
    Options

I don't really understand why it's difficult.

I didn't say it was difficult. Was just seeking for some suggestions from those that have been doing it and sort of developed a rhythm. Kind of what these message boards are for no???
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    I have a very high protein diet. You can check out my diary for lots of ideas.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Eugh 1200 calorie diets. Yay for starvation mode.

If you want to get lean and toned, you need to exercise with both strength training and cardio. For this, you need to properly fuel your body. In order to fuel your body, you will need to eat more than 1200 calories.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    Eugh 1200 calorie diets. Yay for starvation mode.

If you want to get lean and toned, you need to exercise with both strength training and cardio. For this, you need to properly fuel your body. In order to fuel your body, you will need to eat more than 1200 calories.

Well that is what mfp put me at. I try to eat back some of my exercise calories too. I dunno.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    I have a very high protein diet. You can check out my diary for lots of ideas.

Ha wow yea you do. Your breakfast was my full day of allotted calories lol nice job though. ;)
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    MFP has generic recommendations that quite a few people tweak. For example, I have changed my macros (percentage of calories that come from carbs, proteins, and fats) to 40/30/30 because I thought mfp's protein recommendation was way too low for my goals. Obviously, the generic mfp recommendation will not work for all fitness plans because it's not tailored to all plans. A plan that works for someone who does not exercise is not going to work for someone who exercises intensely 4-5 times per week.

As far as protein intake goes, I try to eat my body weight (pounds, not kilograms) in grams of protein... but I'm also focusing on strength training.

I am 5'9" and weigh about 165. According the book THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN by Lou Schuler (a good book, and very informative for those new to strength training), my recommended intake for 3 heavy strength training workouts per week plus 15-20 minutes of high intensity interval training (HIIT) a couple time per week is 2100 calories on non workout days and 2400 on workout days. However, I am also trying to cut some fat, so I created a 300 calorie deficit. That means I'm going for 1800 calories on nonworkout days and 2100 on workout days. Believe me, if you start trying to get that lean, toned body you're looking for, you're going to need to do strength training. When you build muscle, your body will continue burning fat even after you stop your exercising for the day because muscle burns fat. You're going to need to eat enough to fuel 1) your workouts 2) the formation of your new muscles 3) your everyday bodily functions... 1200 calories won't cut it.

There are already quite a few informative threads that focus on the topic of caloric intake and nutrition macros for toning. I would suggest doing a search. Bodybuilding.com is also a good resource for articles about toning and building muscle.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The link I posted can help you figure out your lean body mass. As far as shakes go, you can actually put them in food. It doesn't have to be a meal replacement. I use a store brand and its only 110 calories a scoop so it really just depends on what you choose to mix it with. This morning I had an orange julius:

1 cup of orange juice
    1 cup of Greek yogurt

Yes... this was all I had for breakfast but at 400+ calories, 77 carbs, 48 g of protein, and 1800+ mg of potassium, I really didn't need anything else. I have also put protein powder in cheesecake, pancakes, and brownies just to boost their nutritional content.

You might consider raising your weekly goal to the recommended 1 lb a week. This is a much safer range for people who are already within an overweight to healthy BMI range. I started out as obese and set my goal at 2 lbs a week, but as I got closer to an overweight BMI (not quite there yet) I began to realize that I wasn't losing weight as effeciently, I was always hungry, and my body didn't respond as well in my workouts. I raised my weekly goal to 1 lb a week which raised my calories from 1390 to 1830, and I started to do much better. Even though MFP claims that this deficit will give you 1 lb a week weight loss, it is only an estimate. There are other factors in consideration besides just calories so even though MFP claims the deficit as a 1 lb a week weight loss that deficit is very likely to cause you to lose more than 1 lb a week.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    MFP has generic recommendations that quite a few people tweak. For example, I have changed my macros (percentage of calories that come from carbs, proteins, and fats) to 40/30/30 because I thought mfp's protein recommendation was way too low for my goals. Obviously, the generic mfp recommendation will not work for all fitness plans because it's not tailored to all plans. A plan that works for someone who does not exercise is not going to work for someone who exercises intensely 4-5 times per week.

As far as protein intake goes, I try to eat my body weight (pounds, not kilograms) in grams of protein... but I'm also focusing on strength training.

I am 5'9" and weigh about 165. According the book THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN by Lou Schuler (a good book, and very informative for those new to strength training), my recommended intake for 3 heavy strength training workouts per week plus 15-20 minutes of high intensity interval training (HIIT) a couple time per week is 2100 calories on non workout days and 2400 on workout days. However, I am also trying to cut some fat, so I created a 300 calorie deficit. That means I'm going for 1800 calories on nonworkout days and 2100 on workout days. Believe me, if you start trying to get that lean, toned body you're looking for, you're going to need to do strength training. When you build muscle, your body will continue burning fat even after you stop your exercising for the day because muscle burns fat. You're going to need to eat enough to fuel 1) your workouts 2) the formation of your new muscles 3) your everyday bodily functions... 1200 calories won't cut it.

There are already quite a few informative threads that focus on the topic of caloric intake and nutrition macros for toning. I would suggest doing a search. Bodybuilding.com is also a good resource for articles about toning and building muscle.

great info thanks...i defnitely want the lean toned body...trying to incorporate strenght training with jillian michaels dvd's and just started kettle bells...was thinking of just doing free hand weights on the days i do zumba 2x/week right before i leave to do it...read weights before cardio is best....i've heard of that book also...may check it out
  • peacelily0507
    Options

1 cup of orange juice
    1 cup of Greek yogurt

You might consider raising your weekly goal to the recommended 1 lb a week. This is a much safer range for people who are already within an overweight to healthy BMI range. I started out as obese and set my goal at 2 lbs a week, but as I got closer to an overweight BMI (not quite there yet) I began to realize that I wasn't losing weight as effeciently, I was always hungry, and my body didn't respond as well in my workouts. I raised my weekly goal to 1 lb a week which raised my calories from 1390 to 1830, and I started to do much better. Even though MFP claims that this deficit will give you 1 lb a week weight loss, it is only an estimate. There are other factors in consideration besides just calories so even though MFP claims the deficit as a 1 lb a week weight loss that deficit is very likely to cause you to lose more than 1 lb a week.

a good suggestion but i just tried that and it didn't change my calorie intake at all :/
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

1 cup of orange juice
    1 cup of Greek yogurt

a good suggestion but i just tried that and it didn't change my calorie intake at all :/

Odd... You must already be at a healthy weight. Maybe you should just change to maintenance calories, and just work on strength training to tone up.
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    [/quote]

Odd... You must already be at a healthy weight. Maybe you should just change to maintenance calories, and just work on strength training to tone up.
    [/quote]

well truth be told i am 2 lbs below what they say is a "healthy weight" however i was 7lbs lighter this time last year and was much more comfortable with myself. that being said what i really think i am is i guess skinny fat and mostly need to tone and lean...that's why i am looking into strength training now and a high protein diet..that is why i guess my calories are at 1200 ..changing to 0 lbs/wk (maintenance mode) ups them to around 1550...you think that's better??? i guess i'm just afraid to pump it up...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

well truth be told i am 2 lbs below what they say is a "healthy weight" however i was 7lbs lighter this time last year and was much more comfortable with myself. that being said what i really think i am is i guess skinny fat and mostly need to tone and lean...that's why i am looking into strength training now and a high protein diet..that is why i guess my calories are at 1200 ..changing to 0 lbs/wk (maintenance mode) ups them to around 1550...you think that's better??? i guess i'm just afraid to pump it up...

You won't be toned if you don't build muscle. You can't build muscle in a calorie deficit if you don't have some sizable fat stored already.

Also, women do not have the type of hormones that allow them to develop the "pumped up" physique. If you strength train, eat maintenance calories and eat a reasonable amount of protein, then you will attain the toned look that you are hoping for. No need to burn any fat.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If you're a healthy weight, I think it is time you switched to lifting / toning and upped your protein. Getting skinnier won't help you get lean! Most athletes have very dense bodies and weigh a LOT more than the average person their height!