Who here did the weight loss guessing game without a hrm for

Options
Just wondering how many played the guessing game like I am now with how many calories you actually burn every day and started seeing a better rate of loss after buying a heart rate monitor so that you truly know what you are burning every day? I guess I'm just wondering if I'm sabatoging myself by either overestimating calories burned and therefore eating more than I should or underestimating and therefore putting myself in starvation mode. Any thoughts from someone who has done it both ways would be appreciated. The reason I ask is bc I was losing until I added killer buns & thighs to my work out routine. The first week I went by mfp's number and just didn't eat back much of those calories. I lost a half pound. Then the next week I decided I would only account for a third of the exercise calories that MFP said I burned during that work out. Then this week I gained another pound. My goal is to lose not gain so I'm just trying to figure it out. Maybe I shouldn't even worry about toning yet as I still have atleast 50 lbs to lose. Thank you for reading!

Replies

• missfluffyuk
    Options
    You need to look at general trends. All sorts of things can affect it, even if you ate and drank exactly the same. I gained a pound last week, but then I lost 3lbs this week -- because of TOM.
  • jennifero469
    jennifero469 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you need to eat more, not less. Anytime I add to my exercise routine I have to up my calories. I really like the Olivia method of setting your goals. There is a group with great information about it. Calories are not bad. Calories are necessary for building muscle which will in turn help your metabolism.
  • snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a hrm.. and I still find that the numbers are not the same always frm the hrm and the machines to how much I burn they are only off a little, I rarely use the mfp it is up calories like 200-250 sometimes, so id rather use the machine and my hrm to mfp. But Im w the others the more you r burning you need to add more calories not alot just enough to where you r not burning off everything you are eating. The olivia method is good and she got it frm a nutrionist. My trainer said the same if Im at least burning 8-900 calories a day that I should up my food like 100-200 calories more a day, and when I play w it I see a difference. You gotta just keep trying different things for your body, we are all different. You will get it, you are very motivated and determined...:0)
  • Steffi330
    Steffi330 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!