Carbohydrates makes me more hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ... I just have one question, every time I eat whole wheat bread, pastas or oatmeal I tend to eat more the rest of the day. I feel like carbohydrates makes me more hungry! I don't know why. Any opinions/answers will be appreciated folks, thank you!
    As has been mentioned, whole-wheat bread is generally very high-glycemic and often has added HFCS (High-Fructose Corn Syrup) in it. Not kidding, look at your label you may be surprised...

Sprouted-grain breads are a better choice as they're made without flour, thus are much better for you than most breads in the supermarket.

Pasta is refined carbohydrate from soft wheat, regardless if it's white, wheat, whole-grain, or "low-carb" pasta. Even if cooked al-dente or even undercooked it causes huge spikes and drops in both glucose and insulin - and this is well known to trigger food cravings.

Oatmeal can be good - but commercially-available rolled oats are actually not that great for you. If you can, get some steel-cut oats. They're higher in fiber, slower-digesting and overall lower glycemic.

There's nothing wrong with eating 40% of your calories from healthy carbohydrates for the majority of people (exceptions are those with diabetes/metabolic syndrome, PCOS, hashimotos, epilepsy or any other medical reason to reduce carbs) but even for those that CAN eat lots of carbohydrate, the best sources of carbs - in terms of amount of nutrition per gram of carbohydrate - are non-starchy vegetables and lower-GI fruits, especially berries. If you can avoid the starchy carbs (such as grains, potatoes, corn, parsnips) and ESPECIALLY avoid refined carbohydrate (flours and sugars) you'll likely find that you don't get those cravings that make you eat more than you need.
  • nikkidannih
    Options
    i definitely agree, i find when i eat carbs, even complex carbs such as oats and sweet potatoes i have far more cravings, that i find impossible to resist. when i eat only protein or protein and veggies i don't have this problem. i'm sure its all to do with the blood sugar levels (insulin) spiking after eating carbs, hence when they return to normal, cravings. I take chromium, a mineral that helps to stabilize blood sugar levels, which helps to reduce this. also i mix it up, having some days only eating protein (ducan style) some only protein and veg, some days when i need more energy with carbs too. hope this helps :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mghfxgDg3P1raj8mk.gif

protein. put it inside you!