I love yoga... BUT

Options
I look ridiculous when I try to do 90% of the poses! Any experienced yoga gurus out there with some words of 'deep, inward' inspiration? :embarassed:

Better yet, techniques for improving flexibility and stability so I don't make my poor fat bottom look any more embarrassing than it already is. :blushing:

Replies

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I look ridiculous when I try to do 90% of the poses! Any experienced yoga gurus out there with some words of 'deep, inward' inspiration? :embarassed:

Better yet, techniques for improving flexibility and stability so I don't make my poor fat bottom look any more embarrassing than it already is. :blushing:
  • mossmommy
    mossmommy Posts: 63
    Options
    hey for a fat chick i love me some yoga, and i've been doing it for a long time though i wasn't dieting then so i didn't have good results for weight loss, anyways....

only doing the poses over and over will help your flexibility and make you more cordinated. and i promise you while you're doing yoga nobody is paying too much attention to you (they're all thinking the same thing).
    just try to relax and enjoy it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here's the scoop --- anyone there FOR yoga, FOR themselves, is NOT looking at you, and if they happen to see you, they are just proud of you for sticking with it. I promise. :flowerforyou:

I started yoga twice a week when I began my weight loss journey. I was the fattie in a classroom full of twiggie skinny ladies. I stuck with it, DETERMINED. Now, two years later, I'm the not-so-fattie, just slightly pudgie girl who can kick *kitten*, getting into those positions much more easily.

Anyone who does yoga knows it takes much TIME and FOCUSED EFFORT for your body to learn the strength and flexibility for the poses.

So dear, do NOT give up. You are on the right path. I remember so many times I would get teary eyed in class, feeling embarassed of my weight, unable to get into poses. My instructor was so gentle and encouraging, showing me easy modifications that helped my body learn to eventually get into those poses.

Keep it up. You are great and wonderful and will be able to get there. Determination, time, effort, focus. :flowerforyou:

And as an added note, most people who are really focusing on their moves aren't looking around at others. Throws off their balance. :wink: Yoga is about focusing on yourself, like you said, a little inward reflection. Those really there for the yoga probably aren't even noticing you, no matter how self-conscious you are.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Yeah... Big Toe Stretch gets me every time! (I don't know what the real name of it is :laugh: ) The one where you stand on one foot, lift your other leg, grab your big toe, and extend the leg... Ummmm yeah, I can get as far as standing, lifting and grabbing, but I fall over right after that! And no such thing as extending that leg!!! At least not yet.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Yeah... Big Toe Stretch gets me every time! (I don't know what the real name of it is :laugh: ) The one where you stand on one foot, lift your other leg, grab your big toe, and extend the leg... Ummmm yeah, I can get as far as standing, lifting and grabbing, but I fall over right after that! And no such thing as extending that leg!!! At least not yet.

I cannot do a SINGLE pose with my leg extended straight. My lower back/ back of my legs are too tight, even after two years. Can't even do a full forward bend. Now, bend my legs at the knees just slightly and I can flop in half, bending futher than anyone in the class. :laugh: Our bodies are so individual and unique!
  • pettmybunny
    Options

I cannot do a SINGLE pose with my leg extended straight. My lower back/ back of my legs are too tight, even after two years. Can't even do a full forward bend. Now, bend my legs at the knees just slightly and I can flop in half, bending futher than anyone in the class. :laugh: Our bodies are so individual and unique!

Aren't you supposed to have soft knees (slightly bent)? I always thought it was bad to have them locked....
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Aren't you supposed to have soft knees (slightly bent)? I always thought it was bad to have them locked....

There is a slight bend, but I'm talking about I have to bend them babies in half!!! My instructor finds it wildly amusing how much flexibility I have all over my body with the exception of my lower back/back of the upper legs. She's finally seen that not much will help in that area :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    There is a slight bend, but I'm talking about I have to bend them babies in half!!! My instructor finds it wildly amusing how much flexibility I have all over my body with the exception of my lower back/back of the upper legs. She's finally seen that not much will help in that area :laugh:

The first time I got a massage, I was amazed because I could actually bend over and touch my palms flat to the floor. It was back to normal by the next day, but I can see where regular massages would really help.

Some day, I'm going to be rich, and I'm going to have a hot beefcake masseusse rub me down daily.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This has been helpful. I'll try to keep you all in mind when I'm in yoga class tonight.

:flowerforyou: