Help me figure this all out, please.

Options
I want to figure out a few things that I'm not 100% clear on.

1. First, target heart rate zone - is that where I want to be in order to burn as much fat as possible? Also, I tend to go above my target heart rate zone while doing cardio (roughly 40% of the time, actually) - is this bad?

2. Which method for calculating the maximum heart rate zone is accurate? I find conflicting answers all over the internet - some say for females, take 226 - age, some say gender doesn't matter and to take 220 - age, etc. The reason I ask is because my HRM calculated my maximum HR by itself, but I've exceeded that a couple times during my work outs (only by a few beats) - what exactly is the maximum HR? Is it literally the maximum the heart can reach, or is it the maximum a person should push it to, etc.

3. I'm on a 1200 calorie goal. I add 200 extra calories for Breastfeeding, therefore actually eating (before exercise calories) 1400 a day. My BMR is 1352 calories based on the Katch-McArdle Forumla (which is the formula that uses my body fat %, so I'm assuming it is more accurate than the Harris-Benedict Formula). My body fat percentage is 52.3% (all according to fat2fitradio.com). I am 5'1" and my goal weight is about 130. I am currently 210. I consider myself sedentary (not counting the exercise that I log every minute of). So, all that being said, is my current calorie goal safe and healthy given my situation/stats/etc.? Oh, and for the record, I DO eat my exercise calories back every day - at least 80% of them, but usually almost all of them.

4. Strength training. Would starting a push-up program while also doing the 30 Day Shred (and next month, Ripped in 30) be beneficial? I think the program I would do is 3x a week, and I seriously need to build some upper body strength, because it is pathetic I can't do a single real push-up anymore - I was the strongest girl back in Jr. High gym class! lol

5. Anything else I missed? This isn't a diet for me - it is the start of the rest of my life, and I want to do it in the way that is healthiest and most effective. Right now, I have another 90lbs to lose before I'm at my goal weight - at the time being, I am set to lose 2lbs a week, but in reality, my calories only go up about 30 calories if I set it at 1.5lbs a week, so obviously the 1200 calorie goal isn't going to get me 2lbs a week, but I'm okay with that (and obviously when I get closer to my goal, I'll eventually change it to 1lb a week).

To anyone who answers my questions, THANK YOU.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I want to figure out a few things that I'm not 100% clear on.

1. First, target heart rate zone - is that where I want to be in order to burn as much fat as possible? Also, I tend to go above my target heart rate zone while doing cardio (roughly 40% of the time, actually) - is this bad?

2. Which method for calculating the maximum heart rate zone is accurate? I find conflicting answers all over the internet - some say for females, take 226 - age, some say gender doesn't matter and to take 220 - age, etc. The reason I ask is because my HRM calculated my maximum HR by itself, but I've exceeded that a couple times during my work outs (only by a few beats) - what exactly is the maximum HR? Is it literally the maximum the heart can reach, or is it the maximum a person should push it to, etc.

3. I'm on a 1200 calorie goal. I add 200 extra calories for Breastfeeding, therefore actually eating (before exercise calories) 1400 a day. My BMR is 1352 calories based on the Katch-McArdle Forumla (which is the formula that uses my body fat %, so I'm assuming it is more accurate than the Harris-Benedict Formula). My body fat percentage is 52.3% (all according to fat2fitradio.com). I am 5'1" and my goal weight is about 130. I am currently 210. I consider myself sedentary (not counting the exercise that I log every minute of). So, all that being said, is my current calorie goal safe and healthy given my situation/stats/etc.? Oh, and for the record, I DO eat my exercise calories back every day - at least 80% of them, but usually almost all of them.

4. Strength training. Would starting a push-up program while also doing the 30 Day Shred (and next month, Ripped in 30) be beneficial? I think the program I would do is 3x a week, and I seriously need to build some upper body strength, because it is pathetic I can't do a single real push-up anymore - I was the strongest girl back in Jr. High gym class! lol

5. Anything else I missed? This isn't a diet for me - it is the start of the rest of my life, and I want to do it in the way that is healthiest and most effective. Right now, I have another 90lbs to lose before I'm at my goal weight - at the time being, I am set to lose 2lbs a week, but in reality, my calories only go up about 30 calories if I set it at 1.5lbs a week, so obviously the 1200 calorie goal isn't going to get me 2lbs a week, but I'm okay with that (and obviously when I get closer to my goal, I'll eventually change it to 1lb a week).

To anyone who answers my questions, THANK YOU.

1 - The best zone for fat burning is the highest one you can maintain for however much time you have.
    While you will burn a higher percentage of fat at a lower zone (because you are burning less calories), you will burn just as much calories of fat at a higher zone (but smaller percentage because burning more calories).

2 - Answered in the other thread you posted on regarding finding better estimate of MHR. MHR is the genetic limit for what you can reach. After you get a little fit, it won't go up. Goes down with age slightly.

3 - Considering your BMR is 1352, and you are purposely eating less than that, you need to research what BMR is, because you don't understand. You can eat lower than that, but your body will adjust and lower metabolism to match your supplied energy.
    It's a downward spiral you cannot chase and win.
    You should eat under your maintenance calories which is probably around 1900 plus 200, and above your BMR, so about 1600 is decent. Use this site for BMR and maintenance calories estimate - but do NOT include exercise in this form, just avg day.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    And once you get your MHR corrected on your HRM, you should indeed, good girl, eat those exercise calories back. Feed that muscle so it will grow, and burn fat 24 hrs day.

4 - Strength training for fat burn is best done by working out the biggest muscles, which will burn fat all the time. So what is bigger, bicep or quad, tricep or hamstring? Yep, do some knee bends with weights (milk containers with water) or such. If there is time afterwards, do some pushups.
    Here is a site for suggestions, just point at the biggest muscles you have time for, and look over the list for exercises using body weight.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtFemale.html

5 - Don't eat under your BMR. You'll just force metabolism lower. Then you'll have to eat even less for the same effect. Your body will lose in the long run, perhaps some weight, but more important things if it can't get the energy it needs for basic human functions.

You got some great questions, showing you are interested in doing things right, so you can sustain this lifestyle.
    Oh, for getting more calories on workout days in case difficult, snack before and after workout, even mix of carb/protein.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I used another calculator to calculate my TDEE based on my lean body mass and activity level and it is only 1620 calories/day...so if I go up to 1600 won't I just be maintaining? =/
  • Virginia90
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    I used another calculator to calculate my TDEE based on my lean body mass and activity level and it is only 1620 calories/day...so if I go up to 1600 won't I just be maintaining? =/

Plus 200 for nursing, right?

Your BMR was 1352 by good calculation (if fat% is correct), and activity level only went up to 1620?

You really only have 268 calories of activity during the day? What site is that estimating calories from normal daily activity?
    I want to know what to avoid.

Try this site for activity level. And really be honest with moving around with that little girl.

I show even if you sat around 24hrs day, you have 677 calories burned, so you have room for a 500 drop. Or 300 if you count your needed 200 extra.

So 1730. But I doubt you get to sit all day. but then again that doesn't include sleeping hrs.
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't feel qualified to offer too much advice here.. but look at how cute that little baby is!! Virginia90, I love your little profile photo! :) How sweetsies is she?!?!?
  • Virginia90
    Options
    http://weight-loss-for-women-over-40.com/bmr-calorie-needs-calculator.htm

That's where I calculated it from, and I used my lean body mass (100lbs based on my Body Fat %), and I used sedentary, which I consider myself (not counting exercise that I eat back anyway). I am sitting most of the day playing with my kid - we have a tiny house, and it is miserable, muddy, and cold outside. So during the winter, I am sedentary. I'd love a large living room to run around and dance around in with my kiddo, but can't change that! lol

Yes, plus 200 for nursing - but I always add that after the fact, not while calculating what my maintenance calories, deficit, etc. would be, so if I set my goal at 1600 calories, I'd still be adding -200 for breastfeeding (to my drinks section of my diary) and it would be taken into consideration and I'd really be eating 1800 (which would still be at maintenance.)

I got my body fat % by using my weight, height, and measurements of my neck, waist, and hips.

Right now, I'm losing successfully and I don't *feel* unhealthy - I actually have WAY more energy than I did before I started this, but I see SO MUCH about 1200 calories being wrong for everyone, so I can't help but to seriously doubt myself even though my bmr is lower than taller people's. When I eventually build more muscle, it will increase, right?
  • Virginia90
    Options
    I don't feel qualified to offer too much advice here.. but look at how cute that little baby is!! Virginia90, I love your little profile photo! :) How sweetsies is she?!?!?

:smile: thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    http://weight-loss-for-women-over-40.com/bmr-calorie-needs-calculator.htm

That's where I calculated it from, and I used my lean body mass (100lbs based on my Body Fat %), and I used sedentary, which I consider myself (not counting exercise that I eat back anyway). I am sitting most of the day playing with my kid - we have a tiny house, and it is miserable, muddy, and cold outside. So during the winter, I am sedentary. I'd love a large living room to run around and dance around in with my kiddo, but can't change that! lol

Yes, plus 200 for nursing - but I always add that after the fact, not while calculating what my maintenance calories, deficit, etc. would be, so if I set my goal at 1600 calories, I'd still be adding -200 for breastfeeding (to my drinks section of my diary) and it would be taken into consideration and I'd really be eating 1800 (which would still be at maintenance.)

I got my body fat % by using my weight, height, and measurements of my neck, waist, and hips.

Right now, I'm losing successfully and I don't *feel* unhealthy - I actually have WAY more energy than I did before I started this, but I see SO MUCH about 1200 calories being wrong for everyone, so I can't help but to seriously doubt myself even though my bmr is lower than taller people's. When I eventually build more muscle, it will increase, right?

Are you over 40? I was basing calc on 21 from profile.

Sedentary is probably decent enough.

So I still show 1530 for healthy deficit not counting the extra for nursing. And that is above your BMR, so that is good and safe.

The 1200 fascination is because that is considered a healthy lower limit, not taking into account your BMR. That is what MFP defaults to as lowest allowed in case your loss goal would have sent it below.
    But MFP pays no attention to if the goal suggestion is below the estimated BMR - a fault in my opinion easily solved.
  • Virginia90
    Options
    No, I am 21, but that was the only calculator I could find that takes lean body mass into consideration. Even if I take the standard sedentary equation: BMR * 1.2, I still get in the 1600 range. I don't see why age matters? I'm so confused.
  • heybales
    Options
    No, I am 21, but that was the only calculator I could find that takes lean body mass into consideration. Even if I take the standard sedentary equation: BMR * 1.2, I still get in the 1600 range. I don't see why age matters? I'm so confused.

Because that site is focusing on a formula that is tweaked for another age group, because it makes it more accurate for that group.

You are correct that when you use BF%, it is not used in those calculations. Well, depends on what calculation they are using actually. May or may not.

I've given a link twice that uses the Katch-McArdle calc, which uses BF% and is considered more accurate. It also gives a means to get more accurate activity level figured out.

That is where my comments come from.

And a more accurate BF% estimate would come from http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/
    But again, within 10% won't change the end result much.
  • Virginia90
    Options

Because that site is focusing on a formula that is tweaked for another age group, because it makes it more accurate for that group.

You are correct that when you use BF%, it is not used in those calculations. Well, depends on what calculation they are using actually. May or may not.

I've given a link twice that uses the Katch-McArdle calc, which uses BF% and is considered more accurate. It also gives a means to get more accurate activity level figured out.

That is where my comments come from.

And a more accurate BF% estimate would come from http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/
    But again, within 10% won't change the end result much.

That's the BF% calculator I used. :wink:

I didn't realize that one for TDEE had a drop down for BF% instead of height - I just put everything in there, and it gave me 1700-something calories. That's a bit better than 1600 at least. Come spring and fall, I'll be able to go outside and be more active (summers get too hot here, and there are usually heat advisories so we can't go outside all summer) and I definitely plan on using that to my advantage - plus I'll be gardening and all sorts of stuff! Winter sort of sucks around here! lol I'm 60 miles from the nearest real gym, too, so anything I do, I have to do either in my living room or when we happen to get a nice day outside.

I've always hated being so short, but this is a time when I REALLY wish I was a bit taller! lol Thank you for all your help! I'm finally not as confused! :happy:
  • heybales
    Options
    I've always hated being so short, but this is a time when I REALLY wish I was a bit taller! lol Thank you for all your help! I'm finally not as confused! :happy:

Hey, at least before the calculator thought you were 52 inches tall. You've already grown!

Remember too, those measurements you used in the BF calculator can be recorded and tracked in MFP too, besides weight. Just go to Weigh-in and add your own.

That way even if there are times the scale isn't moving, may be time to re-measure and re-calc, and discover there are changes.
  • Virginia90
    Options

Hey, at least before the calculator thought you were 52 inches tall. You've already grown!

Remember too, those measurements you used in the BF calculator can be recorded and tracked in MFP too, besides weight. Just go to Weigh-in and add your own.

That way even if there are times the scale isn't moving, may be time to re-measure and re-calc, and discover there are changes.

Oh yeah - I'm already tracking my measurements here - I've lost several inches already all over my body!