Help RE Food and not wanting a diet

Options
I want to loose weight, but not wanting a diet as in the household i live in, it is too difficult to cook multiple meals for everyone.
I see some people posted on here they eat normal foods, just watch there calories.
This is what I am doing. I do try for the healthier options, i have breakfast each morning of whole grain cereal and fruit, i snack only on fruit, or maybe one or 2 biscuits every now and again. I eat a healthy sandwich for lunch instead of pizza, or chips. But for tea i have whatever i make. Usually it is burritos, big fav in this house, or lasagne, roast chicken, just your normal typical meals. Sometimes i even have pudding, cause often i am way under my calories.
I watch my calories, and never go over, sometimes i have to force feed myself or have some pudding or something to boost them up.
I also don't meet my protein, etc for a day.
I have started to work out every day, and am loving it.

I guess my question is, is it still possible to have a good weight loss as i am? Or do i really need to start living on salads and lean meats etc

Thanks all

Replies

• Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! I lost my weight by simply staying under calories. I still eat "typical meals", but practice portion control. I hate salads and would rather eat a yummy steak. However, I will encourage you to make some chicken/fish with vegetables for dinner every once in a while. Find yummy recipes so your household could enjoy some healthy meals too.
  • AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes sorry we definately have a few healthy meals with veges and so forth! At least 3/4 times a week.
    Did you do any excersise aswell?
    Just read somewhere else, and now thoroughly confused, and thinking i have been doing this completley wrong! are our net calories meant to be in a negatve from to get any form of weight loss?
    Mine usually sit about 5 or 600, with 40 minutes of excersise.

:frown:
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    Your net calories are the calories that MFP give you.

If it gives you 1400 as your calorie goal then you should eat 1400 - if you've done 400 calories worth of exercise then your new goal will read 1800, you eat 1800. NEVER have a minus figure or you're not giving your body enough fuel to make the journey. :) that said i always try and not eat the full 400 extra from exercise and allow 100 to remain uneaten (goal of 1700 in this example)

There is no point in resitricting yourself so much that you make yourself unhappy or you make your changes impossible. Eat what you want when you want but always keep in mind, portion control, calories in vs calories out and that YOU control your food. You can still have your cake and eat it, you just have to account for it.

:D
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also did some running and exercise videos a couple of times a week. I don't exercise as much as other MFPers and need to work on that...

Anyway I totally agree with what Krissie said. I try to be within 100 calories of my calorie goal, but you should never be too much in the red or have negative calories.
  • MissGatekeeper
    Options
    I'm doing it that way, and at least so far it's working well. To me it wouldn't be a realistic lifestyle change if I didn't still eat the kinds of things I always will be eating anyway. I don't eat all my exercise calories as I don't have a heart rate monitor and the "guessing" at calories burned could be way off. I work out, eat what I want to (but portion control is my friend) and I've lost 15 pounds so far. :)
  • AngelJordan
    AngelJordan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thankyou everyone, much appreciated :smile:
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I still eat my faves I just revamp the recipes: Lasagna w/ whole grain noodles and low fat cheese for example. I just made a taco braid that everyone raved over, using 99/1 turkey burger, reduced fat crescents and low fat cheese. Nobody knew it was a reduced calorie version:)