Creative exercise ideas anyone?

Options
Well, I've been trying to figure out my backsliding attitude and I've decided part of it is a big ol' rut!
Anybody have some creative ways to get exercise? I have a membership at the YMCA and enjoy it, but I need some new ideas. There is a Pilates and Yoga class I'd like to try, but haven't because I worry I won't burn enough calories and would be better off on the elliptical or doing some other aerobic activity.

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Well, I've been trying to figure out my backsliding attitude and I've decided part of it is a big ol' rut!
    Anybody have some creative ways to get exercise? I have a membership at the YMCA and enjoy it, but I need some new ideas. There is a Pilates and Yoga class I'd like to try, but haven't because I worry I won't burn enough calories and would be better off on the elliptical or doing some other aerobic activity.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Last night I put on an old Backstreet Boys CD, strapped on my heart rate monitor, and just danced around like a goofball for 25 minutes. Burnt calories the fun way just by keeping in tune with the music and not playing any slow songs...
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    well I dont have a gym membership, but I do have a treadmill, a wii, on demand tv, and netflix, so I will either play something on the wii, do videos, (various ones, depending on what i feel like) and i have lots to choose from, or i mix it up on the treadmill, it doesnt have to be just walking/running. i will do lunges on the treadmill, not at high speeds obviously, but at about 3 mph, or i walk sideways, works those inner thighs, or backwards, (i'm not too good at that one yet)

i get bored easily too, so i'm always doing different things. plus my Ipod, its a must on the treadmill, time goes by so fast with music, and i find myself going faster with more upbeat songs then I would have been without it.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Last night I put on an old Backstreet Boys CD, strapped on my heart rate monitor, and just danced around like a goofball for 25 minutes. Burnt calories the fun way just by keeping in tune with the music and not playing any slow songs...

I do this sometimes! (to the Black Eyed Peas) You would be surprised how many cals you can burn in an hour just by dancing... and if your heart rate dips a little, throw in some jumping jacks to kick it back up! It's fun. :flowerforyou:

I also like to take the dogs out for some walk/jog intervals around the neighborhood. They have fun, I get exercise - everyone wins.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I was told by a certified trainer and again my my Physical Therapist today............change is good! Although the yoga may burn 10-20% less calories, the other benefits are fantastic! You body gets used the the same routine very quickly and by trying new things you 'trick' it.

So do yoga on monday and then elliptical on tuesday...........keep em guessing!!
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options
    rollerblading!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Jump rope for 1 minute
    then do 10 crawling squat push ups. Stand straight, squat and put your hands on the floor in front of you, crawl out, do a push up ( or wimpie one like me!) crawl back and stand up

Alternate. I swear it was a great 10 min workout!
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Take the classes! Yoga is fantastic, and will give you a new perspective on using your breath as you exercise. It's also a great way to build muscle strength. Everyone gushes over the flexibility part (and that is important), but moving gracefully from one pose to the next builds some serious muscles.

I also try to make my exercise time more social - the easiest way for me to do that is by taking classes. It's easy to isolate yourself if you're always plugged into your mp3. Instead of inviting a friend out to dinner, invite them out for a walk at a trail you've never been to.

Exercise is supposed to be fun. So do things that make you smile.

Good luck, and keep on moving!
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! If for no other reason I need to try the other classes just to keep myself from getting bored and not exercising then at all. Guess its time to make a good dance list AND hit the floor with some new exercise ideas :)