Sorry, another question

Options
How high should I be able to let my heart rate get? Around 162 I start getting a little scared that its too high, but I don't really know. How does one know for sure?

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    How high should I be able to let my heart rate get? Around 162 I start getting a little scared that its too high, but I don't really know. How does one know for sure?
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    What is your age?
  • maraleigh
    maraleigh Posts: 17
    Options
    The HM i bought came with a table in it. It says to minus your age from 220 and thats where you shoudn't go past. So if you were 30 say...220-30=190...maximum HR...hope that helps...im sure there are a ton of site online that could give you more info...Good luck!
  • lenmana
    Options
    Oh my gosh...I almost said 30 sebastianbach, but I'm 32. Time flies!
  • trigirl808
    Options
    One idea for determing maximum heart rate is the Foster Talk Threshold Test. If you can talk comfortably for 30 seconds your not there, if your on the verge of not being able to talk for 30 seconds your at your threshold, if you can not talk comforatby for 30 seconds without labored breathing then you may be going into an anaerobic state and you do not want that. This is just my paraphrase of the principle.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Oh my gosh...I almost said 30 sebastianbach, but I'm 32. Time flies!

SO then as a GENERAL Ballpark figure, your high end heart rate while working out would be your max, at 188 BPM... but you don't want to keep it up there for long. 85% of your max is considered the cardio zone, where you get the benefits of lots of calories burned AND cardiovascular conditioning for your heart. For you, that's around 160 BPM. Your workouts will be most effective if you yo-yo your heart rate between 60% and 90%, so 112-170 BPM.

These are GENERAL guidelines, based on averages of all people... so if your HR fluctuates from the norm and you still feel great (no dizziness or chest pains or anything) then you're probably ok.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    220- 32= 188 that is your max heart rate (in theory)

My max is 220-47 = 173 (again, in theory)

I went to max a few times and was afraid. Someone on here who is going to college for this told me that is a general number and if I was truly at my max HR for more than a few seconds I would fall out!!

I have never fallen out !

SOOOOOO DONT worry!! you are in about 75-80% of your HR zone and this is a good thing!!

Go YOU!!:flowerforyou:
  • lenmana
    Options
    Well thank God! I'm so paranoid about that stuff...my grandfather died of a sudden heart attack when my dad was 6. Our whole lives we heard our Dad say he wouldn't make it to 50 just like his Dad. Needless, to say I'm paranoid...even though my Dad is pushing 70!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I go over my max my hrm beeps and everything but I just turn the sound off and keep pushing as long- I have been in the 180's while playing sports like Basketball (1 on 1) but during my regular workouts just doing normal cardio and weight training I stay within 163-172