Exercise is NOT a torture or punishment! :) Motivation for t

Options
Remember when you were younger, as a kid, when you LOVED to be outside and ride your bike and run around. That was called PLAY, not TORTURE. I remember when I was a kid, me and my friends would ride our bikes around the corner and time ourselves. We weren't thinking of calories lost (I dont' think I knew what a calorie was, lol) , but just for the FUN of it. Now I realize I grew up in the 70's before video games, 5000 tv channels and parents that didn't have the worry of their kids being outdoors for hours like now, but I used to LOVE to play with the neighborhood kids, playing volleyball over a fence, a makeshift game of baseball in the street, and bike riding. I loved playing tennis against the garage door even by myself. It's amazing that this same very active child became morbidly obese as an adult.
When does that all change? When does exercise change from being play to being torture? Sure my body is a lot older and bigger now, I have a herniated disc that as a child I didn't have. . Why do most adults consider exercise as a torture? I think because it is put in our heads that way. Also, I do believe that as adults, we tend to not do the workouts that we like. We do not consider it fun because if you don't do what you like, you will not do it.
You have to find what you LOVE. If you HATE a treadmill, don't go on one. I absolutely can not stand step aerobics- not one bit. So I stay away from it. I love to play tennis and raquetball, love turbo jam/kick, and sometimes find it fun to be on the elliptical listening to my favorite songs. I also love to dance- no one who dances at parties or a wedding thinks they are exercising but the truth is that they are! :)

If you ask children to exercise they will turn up their nose. If you tell them we are going to have a dance party, they want to be a part of it. Tell yourself that you are going to your own PARTY, to have FUN. Find your favorite work outs. It may be just putting music on and dancing to it, or using Wii fit, or playing a game of tennis. What is YOUR fun?

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Marvellous post.

“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing” ~ Benjamin Franklin.

As for physical things I like weight training, rowing (on the river not indoors) football, volleyball, sprinting, walking and badminton. I do all these things because I like them, not for the calorie burn. It doesn't hurt that they also make your body end up looking nice if you do them consistently...
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My fun is Jazzercise. We have a great one where I live and when I walk in it's like Norm walking into Cheers!
    I also enjoy a walk around a local lake.
    I still go to my old gym for strength training and to use the pool, but for FUN, nothing beats the friendly and lively Jazzercise.:love:
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Totally agree!!! Life needs to be fun!!! It is never too late to make changes!! Grasp it for all it is worth!!! HAVE FUN!!

Thanks for posting!!! :smile:
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Marvellous post.

“We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing” ~ Benjamin Franklin.

As for physical things I like weight training, rowing (on the river not indoors) football, volleyball, sprinting, walking and badminton. I do all these things because I like them, not for the calorie burn. It doesn't hurt that they also make your body end up looking nice if you do them consistently...

Thank you- I feel most people ignore my posts haha! LOVE the quote! You have a great attitude towards wellness.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My fun is Jazzercise. We have a great one where I live and when I walk in it's like Norm walking into Cheers!
    I also enjoy a walk around a local lake.
    I still go to my old gym for strength training and to use the pool, but for FUN, nothing beats the friendly and lively Jazzercise.:love:

Where do you live? That sounds like FUN!!!!