Steel Oats vs other brands

Options
I was wondering what everyone's opinion on Oatmeal is.

What's your favorite brand?

I recently bought some Steel Oats. Haven't tried them yet but I've heard good things.

Replies

• arbellas
    arbellas Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    I eat quaker....I guess "normal" oats haha my grocery store doesn't have steel cut oats.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a bowl of steel cut oats for breakfast right now. Really hearty, keeps you full longer, make a big pot so you can have leftovers the next day quickly since they take a while to cook. I usually add a 1/2 a banana to mine or craisins...or any other random fruit i have laying around. Bobs Red Mill are good, or grab some out of the bulk bins if your grocery store has them. (Mine quit with the bulk bins, so I started buying Bob's) And I'm guilty of eating them for supper too! Hope you like them when you try them out!
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    steel oats is THE best, they are what I use. I find them more filling and substantial. But for same amount of calories :) Good luck.
  • princessf1
    princessf1 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Fellow Who Dat!

I tried the steel cut after hearing alot of good things also. I didn't like them though, I tried a couple of times but maybe I wasn't cooking them right or something.

I like the old fashinoned with some almond butter or Quaker weight control packets, maple/brown sugar, banana bread and cinnamon, they are 160 calories and usually keep me going all morning.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I LOVE steel cut oats but don't really care for rolled oats (it's a texture thing for me). I will eat mine sweet (with raisins, cinnamon, etc.), but my favorite way to have them is savory. One of my favorite breakfasts is steel cut oatmeal topped with shredded cheddar cheese, cracked black pepper and a poached egg (or two!). So yummy and VERY filling!
  • Rappla88
    Rappla88 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the steel oats!! I usually eat them with berries and a dash of agave syrup! They keep me full all morning and I find them to be much tastier than traditional oatmeal (which I'm not the biggest fan of!)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are all I eat. Throw in some natty PB, maybe some fruit, and you have a fantastic wake up meal!
  • Geckokat
    Geckokat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We love our oatmeal/hot cereal here :laugh: so we like to mix it up. I probably make Steel Cut Oats (we buy Pres Choice Blue Menu, Quaker or in bulk, depending on where I shop) 3-4 times a week. We also make Quaker rolled oats, use the packets, Red River and Cream of Wheat. But, the Steel Cut Oats are our favourites.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My husband discovered steel cut oats in the frozen food section of Costco last year. I agree with everyone else, they are much better and more filling than the regular oats.

Now I buy them in bulk from our local healthy market. They take anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes to make, so as others have suggested, I make a large pot and freeze smaller portions in my small ceramic bowls for the future as well as have some in the frig for the rest of the week.

I use cubed apples, a teaspoon of dried cranberries and a teeny bit of granola on mine. So good!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat both on a regular basis. IE Every day. Quick oats in the morning for breakfast and steel cut oats at night for a snack.
    The only thing I don't like about steel cut oats is the cooking time.

I'll eat my oatmeal usually with some sort of fruit. Dried mango or papaya. Craisins. Raisins. Apples. Bananas.
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have Steel Oats for breakfast every morning. I make a crockpot double batch on Sundays with either apples or craisins. I like the Irish Oats or Bob's. I also have the Quaker Oats 5 minute brand, but I haven't tried that one yet. It does keep me full and it tastes really good.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i am in the uk and i buy the "rude health" brand in waitrose. the fruity date flavour is my favourite
    i have tried the "quaker 3 mins" ones in the past but they are abit too smooth for me. didn't enjoy it at all
  • AmyMSinclair
    Options
    I get the Lavish chocolate ones, and the Better Oats ones - they are ready in 90 seconds, taste amazing and are easily fixed at work (I work nights and prefer light meals at night).
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are all I eat. Throw in some natty PB, maybe some fruit, and you have a fantastic wake up meal!

this, except i eat mostly the regular oats. mix it with some extra chunky peanut butter, a sliced banana, or some almonds and raisins and you have a food-gasm.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have them cooking in my rice cooker (porridge setting) right now! I make them a few times a week and we reheat in microwave (you need to add water/milk on reheating - it firms up and seems gross, but heats up very nicely). I like adding dried cherries or craisins and cinnamon, sometimes some nuts/seeds. I love to top it with one of those little mini moo creamer cups we have at work - makes it seem really rich.
  • digitalmayhap
    digitalmayhap Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You guys are going to make me wanna fix these for dinner tonight! So many options!
  • digitalmayhap
    Options
    I get the Lavish chocolate ones, and the Better Oats ones - they are ready in 90 seconds, taste amazing and are easily fixed at work (I work nights and prefer light meals at night).

I LOVE the better oats kind. Apples and Cinnamon or Cinnamon Roll = amazing
  • JeffJohnson26
    JeffJohnson26 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I first heard of steel-cut oats in an article about Ryan Reynold's eating and training and how he got ripped for Blade: Trinity. He was eating them for breakfast every morning, so I thought I'd look into it.

Since then, I have them once or twice a week. I use Bob's Red Mill Steel-Cut Oats (found in the healthy/organic aisle at Kroger). Not sure how many calories you want/need for breakfast, but I add some stuff to make them taste amazing.

Steel-Cut Peanut Butter Protein Oatmeal

1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill Steel-Cut Oats
    1 scoop Body Fortress Super Advanced Vanilla Whey Protein
    1 tbls Kroger Creamy Peanut Butter

Just make the oats and then add the protein powder and peanut butter. It ends up being 405 calories, 3g of sugar, 36g of carbs, 13g of fat, 6g of fiber and 37g of protein
  • digitalmayhap
    Options
    Just make the oats and then add the protein powder and peanut butter. It ends up being 405 calories, 3g of sugar, 36g of carbs, 13g of fat, 6g of fiber and 37g of protein

That's actually not all that bad. Mine would probably change some since I use a different protein but I may have to look into that for sure.