haunches????

GOOD morning! Really just looking for a little support....have been sticking with it and been pretty successful...15 lbs so far. Very happy with that. When does the waist start to go???? I have been exercising daily (stationary bike...arthritis say "no" to running but this much exercise is exhilarating...never worked like this in my life...very happy). My legs are really getting fit...my bum is smaller but i carry weight not in a "belly" but kinda all around. Like a "fat belt". haunches, back, belly. I have friends doing the MFP and they are dropping pants sizes...I feel like my sock are looser. I know there is no "spot burn and I just have to keep up with it I was just wondering if there were any other guys (and older guys at that) with the same issue and when did it start to break. I'm not giving up...just want some good news stories for support.

thanks MFP'ers.
J

Replies

• 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Great job losing all that weight. You are not alone. Seems with us guys the weight around the mid-section is the last to go. A burden us guys seems to have to carry. Just keep working it and the fat will eventually come off. Take my word for it. It is frustrating watching your legs and arms get leaner while the mid-section lags behind, but it will come eventually.

Mike
  • jeffarthur
    jeffarthur Posts: 123 Member
    thanks Mike...soon the moobs will go:)
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    You are right, you cannot spot burn. When you burn calories, your body will reduce fat stores "were it will". What you can do to help is add abdominal strength exercises to firm the muscles underneath. Having stronger/more muscles may help with the look of the "belly belt". Stick with it, the weight will drop from the mid section eventually!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Belly fat is unfortunately (usually) the last to go. There are lots of factors such as age, metabolishm, hormones, etc. Women have a harder time getting rid of belly fat then men unfortunately....lol Basically stick with it though and it will eventually go away...continue to eat well, workout and take care of yourself. Stress and lack of proper sleep can also lead to increased belly fat... Your body stores fat cells in your abdomen when you are stressed...so try activities that keep you calm. Yoga might be good too.

Good luck! 15lbs is incredible and you are doing a great job. Stay positive, motivated and focused. You can do it.
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Hi there,

My husband has been eating well and exercising for about 6 weeks now. I noticed the other day when I hugged him that the "reach" was different around him. He still has a belly, but his body is changing. No doubt with the good things you're doing yours is, too. Keep doing what you're doing and you will get there. :happy:
  • jeffarthur
    thanks everyone...good support. I'm gonna start the "hug weighing" that pbxr suggested...sounds fun:)
  • jeffarthur
    l
  • meycay
    meycay Posts: 29
    Very funny. I love the comment about the socks getting loose. I've said that I know we lose weight all over but I think it's wasted on my earlobe and pinky toes when I'd like to see it in my neck and face. :)
  • jeffarthur
    think it's very funny all the support from women (i appreciate it) but none from guys. Men don't talk about this stuff do they? get in touch with you skinnier feminine side guys...c'mon.:laugh:
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Like many others, I noticed it at about the 6 week mark. Take measurement tape & use it. You'll be surprised how 1" or 2" isn't perceptible to the eye in the mirror, but the numbers don't lie.

A helpful tip is to watch your sodium intake. Don't eliminate it, but rather, check where it's been and go to 75% of that. The reduced salt will help. It's not a magic wand or anything, but it will help.
  • bbloomer
    bbloomer Posts: 14 Member
    When asked the question if belly fat goes last, someone remarked that, to a certain extent, fat will burn from your body at generally the same rate. With that said, if you carry most of your weight/fat in your belly, it will be the last to go. Now, there was no medical related evidence to support this statement, so take it how you will but in my own experience I've noticed this. My belly was by far the biggest, and still is. But it has gone down along with everything else. Unfortunately, like so many say, it is the last to go and, in my highly uneducated opinion, believe this is the case.

Cheers and keep it up!