Sugar - Always over my daily goal - help?

Options
Is anyone else finding this?
I always seem to be over my sugar goal practically everyday! I'm still within my calorie allowance.

I know if i have cake or chocolate or something that is high in sugar i can kinda guess i may be over it and fruit is high in natural sugars but how do i get it below my goal?!

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I do eat an apple daily and a good bit of whole grains. Yesterday I think what really did my sugar in was my frozen yogurt. I ha gestational diabetes and I remember just having to increase protein and reduce carbs significantly... But I'm really not eating that many carbs I feel. So any sugar reducing tips other than cutting out all my carbs, I'm also listening !
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll hear a lot of opinions on this one!!!

For me.... typically I'm over sugar most days also. If I'm over because I've eaten "healthy" (i.e. sugar from fruits and veggies, primarily), then I don't worry about it. Heck... one (1) JAZZ apple has a bunch of sugar!!!

Unless you're eating a lot of junk or processed foods, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the majority of your sugar is coming from fruit, I'd say you are OK.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Try for lower sugar fruits if it bothers you that much:

Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Blackberries
    Peaches (relative low)
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about natural sugars so much. If you limit to 2-3 servings of fruit a day you should be fine.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This is my issue too - consistently over on sugar. I have 2 cups of tea with sugar every day and I usually have some type of fruit once a day too, my other big issue is condiments - lots of sugar there!! I have tried using Agave Nectar in my tea but it is $10 a bottle and i go thru it in a week and a half so...am interested to hear what others are doing.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    i really dont worry too much about the sugar if it is natural sugar like in fruit or milk. i really count just the sugar in the other foods that i eat.
  • AngelaG2006
    Options
    Try Splenda! I lost about 5 pounds just switching from sugar to the Great Value (Wal-Mart brand) of Splenda! Or you can try sweet and low too. There are many options other than sugar now. Good luck!

This is my issue too - consistently over on sugar. I have 2 cups of tea with sugar every day and I usually have some type of fruit once a day too, my other big issue is condiments - lots of sugar there!! I have tried using Agave Nectar in my tea but it is $10 a bottle and i go thru it in a week and a half so...am interested to hear what others are doing.
  • Evenstar84
    Evenstar84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes but it was just something that was annoying me when i looked at my diary.
    I was just wondering if by going over my sugar goal, it might be potentially affecting my weight loss.

Thanks for the link, i'll have a look at the posts over there too :o)
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I used to use splenda also, I have since switched to Truvia (stevia) it is a naturally derived sweeter (less chemicals) I use it in my tea and even on my oatmeal.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard time not going over my sugar grams. It usually is within 10 or so and if the sugar is coming from fruit i don't worry to much . Then I try to addjust the next day to be on target or below. I would bet though that even if you go over occasionally your intake is still alot lower then before you were monitoring it. Sugar does play a really big role in how you body functions. I have been going for two weeks and I believe that just the change of not eating as much sugar has been the reason for my 7lb lost in two weeks.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Uh, 7lb loss in 2 weeks - sign me up!!! :happy:

I have tried Stevia and ...I can taste it in my tea and it is not good. I have stayed away from Splenda due to the chemical aspect...I think i need to just get over it and use the stevia/splenda type options though. Even my trainer has told me I need to cut my sugar intake (I send him my MFP diary). Will review the other link too. Thanks to the OP for bringing this topic up! :smile: