does anyone else work nights?

Options
I found in the past because I used to work nights this makes losing weight challenging. I never know when to stop eating at night. If I am at work 10-12hrs I'm starving so I eat, but light. I have been on other programs and tried with no success. Hence why I am here right? :flowerforyou: I am really just starting back on nights since my husband was laid off . So, I am looking for any suggestions for those who have had any luck in this area. :smile: Thanks.

Replies

• mommy0612
    mommy0612 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I found in the past because I used to work nights this makes losing weight challenging. I never know when to stop eating at night. If I am at work 10-12hrs I'm starving so I eat, but light. I have been on other programs and tried with no success. Hence why I am here right? :flowerforyou: I am really just starting back on nights since my husband was laid off . So, I am looking for any suggestions for those who have had any luck in this area. :smile: Thanks.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    What I have done in the past, is to make my calories reset at midnight. I tried several different methods but starting over at midnight seemed to work the best. I have not worked a night shift in months but I was quite successful before my last baby working 2 nights a week. I lost 10 lbs. Good luck, being tired makes it really difficult, but if you exercise anyway you will find that you feel a lot better!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    And also, I would eat a regular meal between midnight and 2a.m. and then a snack (apple or granola bar) at 5 or 6 if I was still hungry
  • bootilicious
    bootilicious Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I am a nurse who works 5 to 6 twelve hour nights per week, yeah, crazy. I got fat because of poor eating habits, eating to stay awake or being polite and accepting food from other nurses who brought food in.

My schedule is:
    6pm Dinner

10p.m A protein shake, easier to drink my protein than eat at this time, because it's usually busy at this time.

2am A salad with tuna and chick peas...

5:30 a.m De-caf. tea, chobani yogurt, 1/2 cup of strawberries and a mixture of metamucil, so I will have a nice bowel movement when I wake up. The bowels are very important, if you are not going, you will not be losing:)

Best Wishes,

Rita.
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm working the Evening Shift now (3pm-11pm) and I've found that I've had to adjust my entire day "forward".

I get up at around 10:30am, eat breakfast at around 11:00, have a small lunch at around 2pm before I leave for work (usually a sandwich or bagel with cream cheese), go work out at around 4:30 or 5 (I'm lucky, my gym is right at my office), have a small snack after working out and then eat dinner at around 9pm.

I also don't end up going to bed until around 1 or 2 am though...I'm just too "keyed up" after I get home from work to just go to sleep.

I hope that gives you some ideas :smile:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i use to work 3rd shift and i always counted my calories from the time i get up til the time i go to bed, or you could go from 12 midnight to 12 noon. either way has worked in the past:drinker:
  • JusDirty
    JusDirty Posts: 1
    Options
    All that imformation was really helpful to me as I get called out all times of the night and I wondered how am I suposse to eat...and that I have these great suggestions it makes life alot easier to make the right plan of action...thank you all for the great imformation...
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    High I work night as well. I base my eating around when I go to bed and then get up piror to going to work. The days I work 7 pm to 7 am I start my meals around 4 pm with breakfast. Then I try to eat something small every 3 hours.

The days that I work 11p to 7am I start my meals when I get up to go to work which is usally around 5 pm and continue tha way.

It's really hard working nights and trying to lose weight. You have to be more discipline especially on the nights you get called in because someone called out.

Hang in there you will find a system that works for you.
  • smith_emt
    smith_emt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work 6:30pm to 6:30am as an emergency dispatcher (so I sit- a lot). I, like the previous post, reset my calories at midnight. So, I eat breakfast (usually leftover dinner) around 12:30am. Then a lunch (usually pretzels and cheese) at 4:30 am. I then a light snack (yogurt or a few triscuit crackers) at 7:00 am before I go to bed. At 3:00 pm, I get up and do a P90X workout or run for an hour. I then eat dinner at 5:00 pm and then another light snack at 9:00 pm. It helps a ton to pre-plan the meals that way I don't end up eating 'empty' calories.
  • mommy0612
    mommy0612 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys and gals are great. I like the idea of reseting my calories at Midnight. Good ideas. Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the help. :happy: