Another plateau question.

I've plateaued for the last 3 weeks or so. I did the same before Christmas, and upped my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400, and it helped me break through. Now, I'm at a standstill again.

I'm usually pretty good with sticking to my calories. I have tried spike days, and I have tried zigzagging.

I work out 3 times a week for at least 60 minutes. I was thinking of adding Couch to 5K to see if it would help. I do better with structured activities than inventing my own.

I'm 5'4" and 140 lbs. (I've lost 53 so far.)

Thoughts on how this could help? Anything else I could do besides changing up my exercise?

Replies

• QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,079 Member
    bumpaloosky...
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,340 Member
    Bump...... I havent gotten to my plateau yet, but when I do, this will be needed.
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Are you weight training? If not, I've been following the Jamie Easton plan from BodyBuilding.com and I'm seeing some good results. Just an idea. :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Enter "Plateau" into the search above. There is probably no one on now that can help with the question.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    Not sure what training you are doing but add High Intensity Intervals
  • QueenJayJay
    Thanks!
  • QueenJayJay
    Enter "Plateau" into the search above. There is probably no one on now that can help with the question.

I know how to use the search function, but thanks. :flowerforyou: Every person's body is different, so every answer should be.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Also watch your macros. Eating a whole bunch of carbs will keep your from losing remaining fat as it will provide the majority of your "instant" fuel rather than triglycerides from fat. You don't have to go to keto levels, but eat low Glycemic Carbs to control the sugar release and it will keep you from craving more carbs.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member

I know how to use the search function, but thanks. :flowerforyou: Every person's body is different, so every answer should be.
    Just thought I'd bump it up for you since you were ignored. Sorry to insult.:drinker:
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    ah, the dreaded plateau! I've had many. The key is to switch it up. You're at a point now where its much harder to lose. 1/2 lb a week is more realistic then 1-2 lbs. I cant see your diary but my suggestions would be to exercise more and make sure you are getting lots of protein and moderate carbs and fat. One of the ways I broke one of my plateaus is by changing my macros to 40/30/30. A clean diet is also very helpful.
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    I am at a standstill too. And have been for a whole MONTH. I am about to be certifiably INSANE. its aggravating, discouraging and everything else i can think of.
  • QueenJayJay
    ah, the dreaded plateau! I've had many. The key is to switch it up. You're at a point now where its much harder to lose. 1/2 lb a week is more realistic then 1-2 lbs. I cant see your diary but my suggestions would be to exercise more and make sure you are getting lots of protein and moderate carbs and fat. One of the ways I broke one of my plateaus is by changing my macros to 40/30/30. A clean diet is also very helpful.

Thanks. I'm going to incorporate more protein.
  • Bump again.... I'm also at a plateau, I've increased my calories a little bit, I work out 5 to 6 days a week for at least 60 minutes, about half aerobic and half a mixture of aerobic and anaerobic workouts. My weight has been exactly the same for 3 weeks now and I can't figure it out!
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    I'm at a plateau as well. I do weight training at least 4 times a week. Three of those days are with a PT. I upped my calories from 1500 to 1600 and still haven't seen a change on the scale. My macros are set at 40/30/30. Although I'm not perfect everyday I think I'm doing a pretty decent job. I'm juggling with the ideas of lowering sodium or upping my calories to 1700, but haven't made a decision yet. I don't stress over the scale too much as I like building muscle, but I do sometimes wonder if I'm doing something incorrect.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Well it worked last time upping your calories, so guess what'll probably happen this time? :wink:

Edit: And do you eat your exercise calories back? If not, try it.
  • QueenJayJay
    Well it worked last time upping your calories, so guess what'll probably happen this time? :wink:

I do. I'm scared of upping it too much. MFP says 1800 a day would maintain my weight.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

I do. I'm scared of upping it too much. MFP says 1800 a day would maintain my weight.

I'm 5'4", 145lbs and have my activity level set at "active". I work on my feet 4-5 days a week but only go to the gym 1-2 times since I'm still easing my way back into working out from an injury.

I'm currently maintaining my weight by consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day.

If you are very active, it is very possible that you aren't eating enough. MFP has my maintenance settings far too low (about 1980). I've customized my goals to raise my daily calories.

The best way to break this plateau is to play around with the numbers. Raise your calories to 1600 for a few weeks and see what happens. I think you may find you lose more once you are eating more.

Also, I would recommend finding out your BMR and TDEE. Since you're on the thinner side, I would aim for a 250 calorie deficit vs a 500 calorie deficit.
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Even if you ate maintaince calories for two weeks, it may break your plateau or you'll be the same. One thing at a time.
  • QueenJayJay

I'm 5'4", 145lbs and have my activity level set at "active". I work on my feet 4-5 days a week but only go to the gym 1-2 times since I'm still easing my way back into working out from an injury.

I'm currently maintaining my weight by consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day.

If you are very active, it is very possible that you aren't eating enough. MFP has my maintenance settings far too low (about 1980). I've customized my goals to raise my daily calories.

The best way to break this plateau is to play around with the numbers. Raise your calories to 1600 for a few weeks and see what happens. I think you may find you lose more once you are eating more.

Also, I would recommend finding out your BMR and TDEE. Since you're on the thinner side, I would aim for a 250 calorie deficit vs a 500 calorie deficit.

Thanks for this (and EJsMummy26, too). That makes a lot of sense. I don't have a lot of energy lately either, so maybe this will help. I have to get out of the "I weigh 200 lbs." mindset, because I don't any more.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Does anyone know natural types of energy to help before a workout? I have no energy lately either!