Timex Ironman HRM accruacy?

Options
ce_fit
ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
I have the timex Ironman but am starting to question the accuracy of the calories burnt. When you set up the basic information it ask's the following, Age, weight and max heart rate. It does not ask your sex or height.

So without those two factors included in the calculation, is it possible for the results on calories burned to be accurate?

Replies

• ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the timex Ironman but am starting to question the accuracy of the calories burnt. When you set up the basic information it ask's the following, Age, weight and max heart rate. It does not ask your sex or height.

So without those two factors included in the calculation, is it possible for the results on calories burned to be accurate?
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I think that the age & weight values are much more important than the sex & height. You should get a pretty accurate result with those two parameters alone. Compare your HRM against one of the machines at a gym. My HRM shows less cals burned on the treadmill. I used to guess cals burned on my bike. The HRM actually showed a higher burn rate than I estimated. I'm really starting to believe in the HRM numbers.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    That's odd. I have one and I did put in my weight and I think my age too. I'll have to refer back to my instruction book.

I have compared it to my exercise bike which also has a weight input and it seems to be pretty accurate both measuring my heart rate and calories.

What model do you have?
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry I misread. Yeah , I didn't have to add my sex or height either. Since it is measuring you heart rate and using that to calculate calories I'm not sure that additional information is needed.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I just got a Reebok Precision XT, works very well and a LOT less expensive than Polar. This model does ask for age/ sex/ weight/ height. Will it hold up? Only time will tell, but so far so good.

Buy.com has (maybe) them for $29.99 no tax, free shipping