Soda: Why we drink it, how to stop

Options
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I think we can all use a healthy reminder sometimes...

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a Diet Coke addict. During high school I can easily remember drinking up to six cans, EVERY DAY! Now, I have about 1 can every 2-3 days. My goal is to stop this bad habit completely though.

I know soda is very addicting, and a lot of us just won't let it go... we'll do everything else right, but keep pounding the pop.

So why is it so addicting?

* It's everywhere. It's almost impossible to go through your day without seeing soda somewhere - in a vending machine, on your menu, in a cafeteria, and elsewhere.

* It's easy and convenient to just grab one and go!

* BILLIONS of dollars are spent on advertising soda every year! Billboards, commercials, web advertisements - It's everywhere!

* And if that's not enough, a lot of us will drink it for the caffeine addiction alone. When I started my commitment to drink less, the headaches increased to the point that I was taking headache medicine almost every day.

How can we stop?

For me, it was simply a matter of "I know this is bad, this isn't helping me lose weight, and I'm going to stop."

But it's not that easy for everyone. So here's some things to consider next time you pick up a can or bottle:

* The calories - If you drink non-diet soda, take a look at the calories. Then take a look at the serving size, it's not always one bottle! Those calories can equate to almost a full meal (or at least a big snack) for some of us, depending on the size of the bottle!

* Carbohydrates like high fructose corn syrup are rapidly absorbed by the body, and don't go away easily!

* According to an article I found online, frequent consumption of soft drinks may also increase the risk of osteoporosis.

* Soda eats up and erodes tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay over time.

* There is good evidence that cola beverages can increase the risk of kidney problems, more so than non-cola sodas.

* Soda, no matter who makes it, is the most acidic beverage you can buy, with a pH of about 2.51, about the same as vinegar, but the sugar content disguises the acidity. To put that into perspective, consider that battery acid has a pH of 1.

* Both caffeine and sugar cause dehydration.

* The most disgusting reason I found? Coca cola is tough enough to remove BLOOD STAINS! Think about what it's doing do your poor stomach, your teeth, and your body in general!

So next time you grab a can or bottle, remember all of the unhealthy things you're putting into your system. Regular soda, diet soda, it's all just as bad.

Be safe and stay healthy everyone!

Replies

• edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i know you're giving advice, but if you're going to make statements about health (osteoporosis, kidneys problems etc.) please can you show us the research to back this up? thanks
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with my drinking one can of diet Sprite every 2-3 days...never liked Colas of any kind though. Yeah, 6-7 cans a day may be a bit much :laugh: Maybe you should just switch to Diet Sprite!
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I think we can all use a healthy reminder sometimes...

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a Diet Coke addict. During high school I can easily remember drinking up to six cans, EVERY DAY! Now, I have about 1 can every 2-3 days. My goal is to stop this bad habit completely though.

I know soda is very addicting, and a lot of us just won't let it go... we'll do everything else right, but keep pounding the pop.

So why is it so addicting?

* It's everywhere. It's almost impossible to go through your day without seeing soda somewhere - in a vending machine, on your menu, in a cafeteria, and elsewhere.

* It's easy and convenient to just grab one and go!

* BILLIONS of dollars are spent on advertising soda every year! Billboards, commercials, web advertisements - It's everywhere!

* And if that's not enough, a lot of us will drink it for the caffeine addiction alone. When I started my commitment to drink less, the headaches increased to the point that I was taking headache medicine almost every day.

How can we stop?

For me, it was simply a matter of "I know this is bad, this isn't helping me lose weight, and I'm going to stop."

But it's not that easy for everyone. So here's some things to consider next time you pick up a can or bottle:

* The calories - If you drink non-diet soda, take a look at the calories. Then take a look at the serving size, it's not always one bottle! Those calories can equate to almost a full meal (or at least a big snack) for some of us, depending on the size of the bottle!

* Carbohydrates like high fructose corn syrup are rapidly absorbed by the body, and don't go away easily!

* According to an article I found online, frequent consumption of soft drinks may also increase the risk of osteoporosis.

* Soda eats up and erodes tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay over time.

* There is good evidence that cola beverages can increase the risk of kidney problems, more so than non-cola sodas.

* Soda, no matter who makes it, is the most acidic beverage you can buy, with a pH of about 2.51, about the same as vinegar, but the sugar content disguises the acidity. To put that into perspective, consider that battery acid has a pH of 1.

* Both caffeine and sugar cause dehydration.

* The most disgusting reason I found? Coca cola is tough enough to remove BLOOD STAINS! Think about what it's doing do your poor stomach, your teeth, and your body in general!

So next time you grab a can or bottle, remember all of the unhealthy things you're putting into your system. Regular soda, diet soda, it's all just as bad.

Be safe and stay healthy everyone!

Thank you for this....I gave up soda when I started my journey last March.
  • jexebelle
    Options
    i know you're giving advice, but if you're going to make statements about health (osteoporosis, kidneys problems etc.) please can you show us the research to back this up? thanks

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=health+impact+of+soda
  • Froggeh
    Froggeh Posts: 148
    Options

I understand you're wanting articles. Believe me, there's hundreds of them, and I'm not sure you want that many links. But if you go to gogle and type "Why is soda bad for you?", you'll get HUNDREDS of links and articles and studies!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=health+impact+of+soda

Because google searches always have credible sources at the top of the results....
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    For me, it was the simple fact that I felt better and had more energy when I cut it out and replaced it with water.
  • Froggeh
    Options
    Thank you for this....I gave up soda when I started my journey last March.

Good job. I know it's hard to give it up. I'm still struggling. =)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I'm the type of person that you could probably tell me that I'll die in 3 months if I don't quit drinking it, but I won't.

I exercise so that I can have it. That's sad I know, but trust me I'd love for the light bulb to go off and me not want it anymore.

I'd give almost anything to pick up drinking coffee......but yeah right. Coffee tastes like um....yuck to me.

Good reminder though.
  • Froggeh
    Options
    Because google searches always have credible sources at the top of the results....

Not nessecarily, but you can find some great, credible stuff if you dig a little. =)
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    I am not convinced of the all health problems being blamed on diet cola are true, but who knows.

However I will tell you how I dealt the caffeine problem when I quit.
    Go to walmart and by a 2 dollar bottle of caffeine pills (No Doz) or whatever brand is cheapest, mine were 200mg in dose.
    I started with 1 first thing in the morning, and 1 later that day when the headaches started and it gets rid of it immediately.

Then on day 3 I started cutting the afternoon pill in half.
    After day 5 I was cutting both in half
    After day 10, you only have the afternoon half pill when the headache starts.
    After day 15, only 1/4 of a pill if you need it.

With in about a month I was off it entirely and it was over without the major withdrawal symptoms that sent me running for the diet cokes!!! I quit because my habit was simply to expensive. I don't think it was hurting anything health-wise.
  • Froggeh
    Options
    I'm the type of person that you could probably tell me that I'll die in 3 months if I don't quit drinking it, but I won't.

I exercise so that I can have it. That's sad I know, but trust me I'd love for the light bulb to go off and me not want it anymore.

I'd give almost anything to pick up drinking coffee......but yeah right. Coffee tastes like um....yuck to me.

Good reminder though.

Believe me, i NEVER thought I'd give it up. They say it takes 3 weeks to break an addiction though. After I started pounding water every day, diet coke started tasting like syrup. :tongue:
  • Froggeh
    Options
    I am not convinced of the all health problems being blamed on diet cola are true, but who knows.

However I will tell you how I dealt the caffeine problem when I quit.
    Go to walmart and by a 2 dollar bottle of caffeine pills (No Doz) or whatever brand is cheapest, mine were 200mg in dose.
    I started with 1 first thing in the morning, and 1 later that day when the headaches started and it gets rid of it immediately.

Then on day 3 I started cutting the afternoon pill in half.
    After day 5 I was cutting both in half
    After day 10, you only have the afternoon half pill when the headache starts.
    After day 15, only 1/4 of a pill if you need it.

With in about a month I was off it entirely and it was over without the major withdrawal symptoms that sent me running for the diet cokes!!! I quit because my habit was simply to expensive. I don't think it was hurting anything health-wise.

It's not good for your body. But cost is also another great reason to quit! :smile:
  • danniwhit
    danniwhit Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was a BIG soda drinker... if we had cans in the house I would have 1-3 a day, or 1 to 2 20oz bottles a day when I worked in a grocery store. I always drank diet pepsi but the other items in it are as bad as regular soda, imo. I was addicted tho! I worked at a place that had fountain soda and it was even worse since it was free for me, so I drank it way too much. I now work from home and only have soda in the house if my husband and I choose to buy it. We used to buy it quite often but now I drink it once a week/once every 2 weeks if that, and if I do, I split a 20oz w/ my husband.
    I bought a water bottle that holds about 30oz and I fill it up at least 4 times a day, add a small splash of Mio flavoring just for a bit of flavor, and that is what I drink. I occasionally have coffee/tea in the morning, or once in awhile have an energy drink as one of my snacks but that's it. I chose to drink mainly water, and after a couple weeks the craving for soda went WAY down to the point that I don't really think about it much. If i see it while out I may want it a little bit but I try to always have my water bottle w/ me so I can have that instead.
  • edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If someone is posting something as scientific fact then they have to back it up. i have spent a lot of my own time reading numerous (and often conflicting) articles about the health impact of soda. i don't think it's up to me to have to find the proof myself if someone is categorically stating 'this is how it is'.
  • ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank any diet soda science 12/16/11. (:
  • Froggeh
    Options
    I was a BIG soda drinker... if we had cans in the house I would have 1-3 a day, or 1 to 2 20oz bottles a day when I worked in a grocery store. I always drank diet pepsi but the other items in it are as bad as regular soda, imo. I was addicted tho! I worked at a place that had fountain soda and it was even worse since it was free for me, so I drank it way too much. I now work from home and only have soda in the house if my husband and I choose to buy it. We used to buy it quite often but now I drink it once a week/once every 2 weeks if that, and if I do, I split a 20oz w/ my husband.
    I bought a water bottle that holds about 30oz and I fill it up at least 4 times a day, add a small splash of Mio flavoring just for a bit of flavor, and that is what I drink. I occasionally have coffee/tea in the morning, or once in awhile have an energy drink as one of my snacks but that's it. I chose to drink mainly water, and after a couple weeks the craving for soda went WAY down to the point that I don't really think about it much. If i see it while out I may want it a little bit but I try to always have my water bottle w/ me so I can have that instead.

I used to HATE drinking plain water, so I use those little powder drink packets. While they still have a few calories (5 a packet?), I know it's MUCH better than diet coke for me!
  • deegarcia19
    Options
    Luckily for me, I've never been big on soda. I never had to"quit" drinking it. I only drink diet soda when there is alcohol in it as well !
  • Froggeh
    Options
    I haven't drank any diet soda science 12/16/11. (:
    That's awesome, keep it up!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Not nessecarily, but you can find some great, credible stuff if you dig a little. =)

Indeed. And a little digging will show that the caffeine present in soda is not sufficient to cause dehydration. I think the point of the one response is that instead of just presenting a long laundry list of ills, they should also be backed up by reliable sources and research. Too often much anecdotal and misguided information is presented as fact in these forums.

I cut back on sodas because there are better uses for the calories. Simple.