How do I get out of starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough. I think MFP underestimates calorie intake. Go out on the web and check other sites. 1000 - 1400 is not enough for the amount of work you are doing. Go up on your intake and see what happens. The more muscle you build the more calories your body needs to just survive. I would suggest upping your protein intake a bunch if you are following MFP guidelines. In my opinion MFP does not even come close to the amount of protein you need.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter if you eat crap food or not. calories in calories out. it's all about a caloric defecit.

So true, and since I starting using "Olivia's method", I am losing more steadily.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/409954-welcome-the-rules
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I notice if I eat a little over my 1200 calories a couple times a week, I seem to lose more. Try eating a little bit more "healthy" calories a few times a week, might help you get over the plateau....also, change up your excercise. Try an elliptical or get a DVD. You have to change it up or your body gets used to the excercise.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you are running 5-6 times a week and doing strength training 2 times a week 1400 calories a day will probably put you into starvation mode. Without more info such as the food you eat and the degree of intensity you work out it is really hard to say 100%. I hit a plateau and I started losing fat again when I upped my caloric intake. I really don't care what the number of my weight is, I just want a low BF%.
  • woodmetal
    Options
    hI Hetty!

I am only three weeks into this and I lost five pounds initially and just gained back two. I am depressed I to eat nuts and cheese but am really trying to aim for health and healthier choices. I have a family history of diabetes and I do NOT want to ever get there. I do know my food log looks a bit blank cause I have not entered recipes and have therefore added the calories manually. I feel so much better but not going to lie I am really UPSET about the scale moving up! I hope that you find your way! If you come up with something PLEASE let me know!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You might be plateauing, which is fine. Your body is used to what you've been doing. So you need to change it up, through your nutrition and your workouts.

I would eat more calories, and with that, also do some intervals in your training. Sometimes, it's helpful to see a nutritionist to review your needs and what you've done so far. The other thing is, if you're becoming fitter, have you taken measurements?

I haven't lost that many pounds lately, but my waist/abdomen are definitely smaller.

I like prevention.com and Rodale Press books that stress MUFAs (monounsaturated fats) with your meals. They're the "healthy" fats, which in moderation, help you feel full and lose weight.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You need to take at least a 2 week complete break from dieting. Bring calories up to maintenance for 2 weeks, then resume dieting by lowering them SLOWLY.

^^this is good advice. There are so many celebrity diets and shows like the biggest loser, people expect to lose huge amounts of weight week after week, and it's just not healthy or sustainable in the real world!
    You might gain a little the first week or two while your body adjusts but don't worry it will come back off. Don't go back down as low as you are now, if you have only 27 lbs to lose you should be aiming for maximum 1lb week, dropping to 0.5 when you are down to 15-20 left to lose. It's hard to get out of thinking the less I eat the more I will lose, but eating too low makes your body hang onto fat so you need to make sure your net calories don't fall below 1200 so your body has enough energy for basic functions!!
    Try switching up your exercise routine, add strength training which will help with inch loss as muscle is denser and therefore smaller than fat, and get your protein in to help repair muscle after your exercise.
    Hope this helps x
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert, so don't hold me to this....but isn't it normal for weight loss to slow down the longer you do it? To me it would seem if you're not hungry, don't force feed yourself just because your weight loss slowed down. If you're hungry eat, if you're not, don't. Just because your weight loss slowed doesn't mean your in starvation mode....I would think.

Exactly
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    hI Hetty!

I am only three weeks into this and I lost five pounds initially and just gained back two. I am depressed I to eat nuts and cheese but am really trying to aim for health and healthier choices. I have a family history of diabetes and I do NOT want to ever get there. I do know my food log looks a bit blank cause I have not entered recipes and have therefore added the calories manually. I feel so much better but not going to lie I am really UPSET about the scale moving up! I hope that you find your way! If you come up with something PLEASE let me know!

Don't worry about this, it's just your body adjusting. I lost 6lbs week1, gained 2lbs week2, lost 5lbs week 3, then have lost between 0.5-2lbs every week since then.
    If you have just started try taking your measurements, then you can still see progress in weeks when the scale doesn't move much :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    eating clean is a myth.

Totally disagree. The more healthier you eat the more you can eat. Junk food is much higher in calories, sugar and or sodium and fat.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Hetty, your unnecessarily curt response to people offering legitimate answers to your quandary confirms that they are correct. You need to eat more.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,237 Member
    Options
    eat.

^^^^^^^^^
    This.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Hetty, your unnecessarily curt response to people offering legitimate answers to your quandary confirms that they are correct. You need to eat more.

And if she truly wants help she'll open up her diary too.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501&sc=801

It is normal for your weight loss to slow down. Keep up the great job!

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • carrieann1967
    carrieann1967 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I add my exercise calories at the beginning of the day, so I budget calories effectively throughout the whole day so I'm not trying to find something to eat or eating and not hungry. Also, that way I mentally force myself to work out in the evening.

That's a great idea to log the food early. I think I get so bogged down with keeping calories low through the day that I have too much to eat up later in the day without feeling like I've over-eaten.

Eat like a king in the morning and a pauper in the evening. Remember food is a fuel to keep you going. You need more in the morning to get you going, then throughout the day to keep you going, but you don't need much in the evening unless you have a 'very' active night life. lol.
  • Cris725
    Cris725 Posts: 81
    Options
    Its not always as simple as "eat more". I watch the Shaytards on YouTube and Shay lost 100 pounds. And you know what? He plataeued also. If you are not starving youself and eating healthy, you body has probably gotten used to the routine and needs to be pushed a little more. So maybe running a little more each week than you did the week before. Shay is now running like 20 miles a day. Its insane.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you've been losing you aren't in starvation mode, you've just hit a plateau. Up your cals by the next setting and change up your workouts. Maybe add strength training.

As far as not making calorie goal, 28 almonds can equal nearly 200 calories if you like the flavored kind like I do. Avocado is healthy and calorie-dense. Peanut butter. Another poster said to stop using fat-free or light foods - I agree. That can be a great way for you to up your calories but not up your volume. Something I had to do was stick to a schedule for food. Breakfast is at the same time, morning snack is at the same time, lunch at the same time, etc. Eventually your body will learn to give you hunger cues at your usual eating times and you'll be able to put away more volume.
  • hettylair
    hettylair Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My diary and personal info is only open to all of my MFP friends, who have helped me. Why bother writing a one word response? If EAT is the solution, then they should be confident with the answer and stop defending it. I obviously was asking a question that needed more than "eat". "Eat" and "eat more" is what got me into this mess in the first place. I don't understand how one word helps. Why bother people if the aren't really interested? Maybe a power thing? I don't really want vultures lurking around my page. Creeps me out.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    hI Hetty!

Me too woodmetal.
    I lost 7lb in the first 2 weeks, gained back 1 in week 3, and have stayed still during week 4.
    I eat under 1200 every day and have been exercising (for the first time in 20yrs).
    It seems SO unfair, and yes it's very depressing & discouraging.
    I am trying to up the calories like so many people keep suggesting, however if it really is a case of 'calories in v calories out' then logically I should be losing weight.
    And I am sick to damn death of people suggesting that if you're not losing then you must be eating more than you think you are (and other insulting comments along those lines). I'm not stupid, and I'm not cheating - I log EVERYTHING, and I log it accurately - beyond accurately actually as I'll tend to over-estimate calories & portion sizes just to be on the safe side .
    Why is it so difficult for *some* people to understand that it's NOT as easy as eating at a deficit for a few of us. No, we're not medical phenomenon's, we're just not as lucky as those who can lose constantly and consistently every week.
    I have banished the scales (my other half has hidden them) and will only weight in once a week. If there is still no success I will stop weighing in at all for a while and just go by how my clothes are loosening.
    I have my fingers crossed that my body will adjust and 'right' itself if I just keep on keeping on - if I have a breakthrough I'll be back to let you know, and if you find something that works please let me know too :smile:
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    My diary and personal info is only open to all of my MFP friends, who have helped me. Why bother writing a one word response? If EAT is the solution, then they should be confident with the answer and stop defending it. I obviously was asking a question that needed more than "eat". "Eat" and "eat more" is what got me into this mess in the first place. I don't understand how one word helps. Why bother people if the aren't really interested? Maybe a power thing? I don't really want vultures lurking around my page. Creeps me out.

But Hetty...in the same, why bother asking for help if no one else can see your diary. For someone who wants help you are very argumentative. I wish you well though. My advice, is to make sure you are eating your minimum calorie goal, eat back at least half your exercise calorie. Forget fast food and pre-packaged meals. This is a journey, not a diet.

And name calling is just plain childish.