Suggestions on good bike?

Options
ItsVJ
ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
I want to start biking for fitness, and wondered whether any of you have suggestions for a good bike to buy? I've done quite a bit of research, and determined that I'll probably get the best use out of a hybrid bike. I really like what I've ready about Trek bikes - specifically, the FX WSD model. I'd like to stay within a budget of about $400, if possible, and that may be tough to do with a Trek bike.

What are your biking success stories?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    When I first bought a "real" (ie: not department store bike) I bought a Trek 7300 (hybrid.) I thought it was the best of mountain bikes and road bikes. As stated on a cycling forum "They are the worst of both bikes."

Too heavy, riser bars, too fat tires and wrong geometry to make a decent road bike. Too fragile, wrong geometry to really go offroad. It DOES make an excellent grocery getter though.

I recently bought an actual road bike. This is what I should have started with. The only downside is it's not really for utility - no eyelets for fenders or racks/etc.

I would highly urge you to check out road bikes. Make sure you go to a GOOD shop that knows how to help you get the right size bike! Wrong size = PAIN

The Fuji bikes are great in your price range, from what I have read. You might not be too late for year end closeouts.

If you need to go unpaved or worry overly about flats, look into a cyclocross. You get fatter tires but still road bike geometry.

If you must ride upright and a road bike won't work for you, then Trek FX can be a great option.

Avoid front suspension forks. They add weight, complexity, and really are useless for road riding. Solid is your friend.
    I hate suspension seat posts too, but don't avoid a bike for one. If you don't like it, it can be replaced with a $20 part. - FX WSD doesn't have suspension forks if I recall correctly.

You may want a triple crank and not a compact double, especially if your area is hilly.

The most important thing is to ride a lot of bikes and pick the comfortable one.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of biking. I've been doing organized long distance rides for charities for years - they are a great way to meet people, enjoy the outdoors and be active and you don't have to be in great shape to do it.

I think, with bikes, you get what you pay for. When I first started, I was using a cheap Raleigh. It was ok. but it was heavy, made a lot of noise, all the other bikes laughed at it. I graduated to a Giant road bike and I love it. It was more pricey, but a lot lighter, and it just feels more sturdy and smoother on the road.

Since you are just starting, you may want to start with a cheaper brand to see if you like it. If you end up continueing, then look into a more top of the line brand.

Cannondales are good, too - IMO.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I have a specialized ariel (about 2 years old) hybrid bike and a Scott Contessa road bike. I liked the hybrid but in terms of lightness (especially going up hills!!) and ease of ride, the Scott wins hands down :)