i really need advice here

Options
ok so i decided to diet after the holidays which i wish i could say is going well however some of my family members dont support me and keep trying to feed me crap... my hubby told me to take a break last weekend for his and his dads birthday... a breaks ok right??? my hubby travels for work and so i have other family members to keep my kids n i company and they have totally no respect for my diet!!! and show up with pizza and fast food!!! what do i do??? :indifferent: advice?

Replies

• witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't answer the door. I hate to say it but I had to stop visiting my parents so often because they try to force feed me junk food. Now I go just once a week and never around a meal time.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Same thing I do... blow them off and do whats right for you :)

I've had to work pretty hard to get pizza to fit in my calories before, but its possible!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses. If you want it you will do it. Maybe you're not ready? Keep logging ever if you are not eating right,. Sometimes it helps get you back on track just to see it in black and white.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Keep the focus on health, rather than weight. It's easy for people to say "you don't need to lose any weight", but it's hard for someone to say they care about you but don't want you to be healthy.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Breaks or cheat days as some call them are ok, but you need to be careful. If they happen on more than maybe a once a month basis, you will have difficulty losing weight. Just the same, a cheat day doesnt need to be a gorge day. You could have maybe 2 slices of pizza instead of 4, or get a salad to go with the pizza. There are always options
  • FoxxC
    FoxxC Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You be prepared! You carry your own food, snacks, etc. I don't know what "diet" you are on but you prepare accordingly. If its low carb, they have shakes & snacks for that, if its weight watchers, you can have anything just in moderation. Its Sabotage and you have to be ready. They may even make little smirky comments. However, when they see you are serious then it may stop. Even if it doesn't when they see the pounds shedding (especially the hubby) then they are gonna want to know how they can do it. I promise you that its worth it. Be strong girl. Be strong.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That stinks - you really need support. One of the things i do is try to keep ready made healthy meals like weight watchers in the freezer, so if your family comes over with bad food, you can just put that in the microwave and eat it instead of cheating. Maybe they will begin to get the hint. You stick to it for YOU!!

Of course, it IS ok to cheat every once in a while, but on your own terms!
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sabatogers are always a pain but you need to be smarter than them. If you suspect what's going to happen eat before you go somewhere or take something with you. That being said....having a piece of pizza is ok, just don't eat too much and eat it rarely. Just be smarter than those around you and you will succeed... at the end of the day you are doing this for yourself and not them so giving in just gives in to your dream!!! Be strong...you can do it!!!
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Tell them thank you for caring but you are trying to eat healthier for you and your kids and if they would like to join you make it a family cooking night of everyone taking part in cooking a healthy meal!
  • twildmann
    Options
    At times, I just eat something different then my family. If my husband and kids want pizza...fine....I don't want to deny them...but then I will make a Lean Cuisine Steamer bag for me to eat. It doesn't happen often, because I am able to make foods that are both good tasting and good for you, but this might work for the times they come over and bring "bad" food. =) Good luck!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Will power. Pass on the pizza and eat what you were planning on eating before they showed up with the crap.
  • neddoh
    neddoh Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Have you specifically told them that you'd prefer to have healthier options? If they aren't helping you, just try to bring your own options along and eat "junk" in moderation!
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    All in moderation.
  • southern_gurl
    Options
    I know how tough it is when the loved ones don't value what you are doing, my mother is the WORST!! :frown: And I seem to be a pushover where my loved ones are concerned, but sometimes you just have to put your foot down. With bringing pizza and fast food junk over, pull something healthy out of your fridge (salad, sandwich, healthy leftovers), after a couple of times they should start to take you seriously. Hubby wanting you to take a break.........nothing wrong with a cheat meal once a week as long as you don't go overboard with it and drink plenty of water and get plenty of exercise. Stay strong and stand firm in your decision to make a healthier you.....best of luck girl, feel free to friend me and I will happily give you support and motivation!!
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    ok so i decided to diet after the holidays which i wish i could say is going well however some of my family members dont support me and keep trying to feed me crap... my hubby told me to take a break last weekend for his and his dads birthday... a breaks ok right??? my hubby travels for work and so i have other family members to keep my kids n i company and they have totally no respect for my diet!!! and show up with pizza and fast food!!! what do i do??? :indifferent: advice?

I would just explain to them what you are doing and that you'd like their support by not bringing that stuff over. Or if you have the willpower just avoid it or indulge in moderation. Most cheese pizzas are only 200 cals per slice.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Just because you are trying to eat healthier it doesn't mean you can't eat what you used to. Self control is the key to it all - if you want pizza, cut one slice in half, eat each half slowly and your bod - moderation is the key to it all - measure, weigh, and learn what true serving sizes look like...
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    It is a shame that family seems to be making dieting more difficult for you. However, your diet is not their responsibility, it is yours. Step up and assume the responsibility and make sure that you have healthy options.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it. Not everyone is on this journey with you and so you are always going to be surrounded by foods that might not be good for your healthy lifestyle. Partys, reasturants, heck even at the grocery store. But it's up to you what actually goes in your body. Make sure you have healthy foods on hand as a go to, in the event someone shows up with a pizza, or ice cream or cake. Still have trouble holding back?? Try keeping a few healthy versions of these same foods in your house like frozen yogurt, smart ones pizza or desserts. They are pre portioned and a fast fix when you reallly need one. Worse comes to worse tell them if they want to bering your kids a treat to keep it to a minimum or pick them up and take them out for said treats. It's your home they have to respect your wishes.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    thanx guys!! this is really helping me! my hubby does support me but like i said hes travling alot.. and my diet i just quit eating greasy foods dont eat with salt or pepper dont eat potatoes or corn!!! i eat fruit and veggies mostly i enjoy it just annoying and tough to have people that basicly **** on you!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I understand that everyone is different but I don't think that ignoring your family is the answer. I didn't have much support either but I just told my family that I have to do this and I have to eat healthy and if they want something else then they can eat whatever they wanted. My husband would always fuss about me fixing different things for everyone for a meal but I started fixing me something different to start with and now he even eats more healthy meals too. You just have to be ready and do what is right for you. Good luck to you and I am here to support you......I have faith that you can do this!!!!!