The debate on water...

Options
So where does everyone stand when it comes to the temperature of the water you drink with or before meals?

I have heard some people recommend drinking ice cold water because your body burns calories trying to warm it up to body temperature.
-or-
I have heard other people recommend drinking room temperature water because it makes you feel more full so that you eat less calories during the meal.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Neither impact weight loss as much as many would like to think. What's more important is how much you drink.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Neither impact weight loss as much as many would like to think. What's more important is how much you drink.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. It is true that cold water burns a few more calories, probably about as much as going to the fridge to get the water.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Maybe the best temperature to drink water is at the temperature you prefer at the time :wink:
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    whatever it takes so that you can drink it :)
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I Agree. As long as it is drank its all good!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    For me it needs to be the opposite temperature of the what is outside. If it's cold out, I like my water warm or hot. If it's hot out, I like it cold. This is what makes me want to drink it. Which is all that matters. :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I drink my water cool, slightly cooler than room temperature. I drink it that way because I like it that way. I don't like ice in my drinks and I tend to wait for ice to melt to drink.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I can't drink ice cold water unless its 90+ degrees out and I just ran 10 miles or more... It has to be room temperature. Period.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I drink it room temp because I like it that way. Unless it's "awesome water" (vodka), then I put ice in it.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I heard one old doc say that very cold drinks prevent the emulsification of fats. And I have heard others (Seventh-day Adventist, maybe?) say that you should not drink anything at mealtime, to facilitate digestion.
    I believe none of them, of course, but it gives me something to google when I get bored...
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i can only drink ice ice ice cold water!!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    oy vey some of the stuff on here...

"I like to drink it boiling hot because it burns calories, and my esophagus and my stomach.... lol..

Drink it the way you like it.